New fish with a weird fin?

pixiestix

Hi everyone! I bought two new goldfish yesterday that were both supposed to be fantails. One looks exactly as you'd expect a fantail to look, but the other looks pretty different from his or her fantail brother or sister. This fish has a lot less tail (it's only a single V shape) and a very pointy dorsal fin. I thought maybe something had happened to it, but it doesn't look like any more of the fin ever existed. Is he/she just different or did I somehow end up with a mislabled fish? Thanks in advance for your help!

JbrCycD.jpg

(My next project is getting rid of the gravel after doing a ton of reading here the last 24 hours.)

• Supporter

welcome to kokos :)

it's just a breeding deformity, usually.... re the dorsal fin. i think dnalex has a fish with a similar dorsal and his fish has grown to be the size of tuna  ( :rofl ) but the fin remains less of than a normal fish. i wouldn't worry about the predominant fork for a tail either. chances are, both are a birth defect.

as long as your goldfish is behaving normal, appearing healthy and eating like a little piggy, i wouldn't be too concerned for breeding defects.

some like gravel in their tanks, some don't. i like bare bottom tanks for myself. if you keep substrate, just make sure you siphon it well with every waterchange.

a good idea is to treat for flukes/tapeworms which is more often than not a common parasitic problem. the medicine is mild but very effective. we use PraziPro or Prazi Powder. since the usual manufacturer who supplied members of the US for prazi powder is no longer in business, i am not sure where the locals are buying it now. but you can get PraziPro from big LFS or Amazon. in addition to Prazi, we like to treat with salt also.

Thank you for the welcome and the advice, Helen! It's good to know that there isn't anything too weird going on with her (I think it's a her after spending way too much time staring at fish booty to try and determine that) aside from cosmetically. She's certainly eating and acting just fine.

I'll add the PraziPro to my ever-growing Amazon cart. I had no idea it would be so overwhelming, but I suppose better to be overwhelmed than unaware. Do I use any kind of filter media while using the PraziPro, or just let the filter run empty?

Do you have a recommendation for how much I should be feeding them until I can get my hands on a scale? I've just been eyeballing it so far, but it seems like the food is gone in an instant.

Sorry for all the questions!

What are you feeding? We may be able to help you out. :)

You can use quilt batting cut to fit the filter or a cut-to-fit filter padding like the blue/white coloured ones Marineland and Coralife sell. You cut it to fit the filter and it works even better than a cartridge. I have it on my tropical tank and inside my goldies canister, it rinses clean very very well with the spray setting in my kitchen sink.

However, I saw a great deal on quilt batting and bought that for future usage. :ehh

As for your fish, it's just a deformity. It won't affect the fish at all. :heart

I believe Jenzaar has a very cute fish with the same type of fin, doesn't bug her at all.

Edited by Chai

You can use quilt batting cut to fit the filter or a cut-to-fit filter padding like the blue/white coloured ones Marineland and Coralife sell. You cut it to fit the filter and it works even better than a cartridge. I have it on my tropical tank and inside my goldies canister, it rinses clean very very well with the spray setting in my kitchen sink.

However, I saw a great deal on quilt batting and bought that for future usage. :ehh

As for your fish, it's just a deformity. It won't affect the fish at all. :heart

I believe Jenzaar has a very cute fish with the same type of fin, doesn't bug her at all.

I'm feeding them the small size Omega One pellets. Goldie #2 is just a smidge smaller than my tiny finned lady above.

So I buy the padding and just cut it the same size as the cartridge? Thanks for the tip, that sounds like a really great idea. Will it crash my cycle to just switch them out when I'm due for a cartridge change? Not that putting in a new cartridge wouldn't do that too...  :hmm

Thank you for entertaining all my questions!

I'm feeding them the small size Omega One pellets. Goldie #2 is just a smidge smaller than my tiny finned lady above.

So I buy the padding and just cut it the same size as the cartridge? Thanks for the tip, that sounds like a really great idea. Will it crash my cycle to just switch them out when I'm due for a cartridge change? Not that putting in a new cartridge wouldn't do that too...  :hmm

You shouldn't change out a cartridge, just clean it in a bucket or two of tank water ever week or every other week. :)

I use the sink because I have plenty of ceramic biomedia and run off well water with nothing to kill off all the beneficial bacteria.

I'd soak them for about a couple seconds in a tablespoon and feed them maybe 10 - 15 each per meal? :hmm I'm trying to see the size of your fish in my head... I haven't had little fish in so long. :rofl

You shouldn't change out a cartridge, just clean it in a bucket or two of tank water ever week or every other week. :)

I use the sink because I have plenty of ceramic biomedia and run off well water with nothing to kill off all the beneficial bacteria.

I'd soak them for about a couple seconds in a tablespoon and feed them maybe 10 - 15 each per meal? :hmm I'm trying to see the size of your fish in my head... I haven't had little fish in so long. :rofl

The fish are roughly the size of three of those little aquarium marbles lined up side by side. I have definitely not been feeding them that many, so I'll need to step it up a bit. Maybe that explains why the food is already gone before I even have a chance to go from looking down over the top when I drop the food in to looking in the side to see if they are actually eating it. Thanks!

Awwww, how cute!! They do need a bit more food than you'd think when they are little. They're growing and need the extra nutrition for those teeny tiny rapidly-growing organs. :)

Best of luck with them, I hope to see more pics as they grow!! :happydance

Knock knock. Me again. I'm not sure whether or not to just start a new thread every time one of these guys tries to give me a heart attack or keep it contained to one place.

It looks like my fish has some small black marks on her side. Naturally she's not staying very still for me to get a good look at it, much less a picture. I noticed she was sitting on the bottom for about a minute or so but I hadn't seen that behavior before or since. Once my PraziPro gets here from Amazon I'm going to be putting them through all of that. Does it sound like something the salt would be able to treat? Is this post totally worthless until I get her to stay still long enough to snap a picture?

She ate her fair share of dinner and has been playing in the bubbles from the air stone. Maybe I just worry too much.

Finally, a picture. They don't look quite as dark/obvious in the picture as I seem to think they do in person? There isn't anything in the tank that is sharp, so I don't see how it could be an injury from rubbing against anything. Sorry my pictures are GIANT.

2cwq3jn.jpg

Do her scales look raised to you when you view her from above ? Is that side bigger than the other? :yikes

Edited by Chai

Do her scales look raised to you when you view her from above ? Is that side bigger than the other? :yikes

I don't see any raised scales and I don't think it looks bigger than the other side. Both of them seem to have really plumped up after I fed them dinner?