My Goldfish Journey

Josie

I started with goldfish about a month and a half ago.  Unfortunately I got off to a bad start and my first 2 fish (1 oranda and 1 butterfly telescope) passed away.  I have been keeping 3 smaller goldfish in QT with salt/heater for a few weeks now, and now that I got my bigger tank all cleaned/sterilized/re-setup I added the new fishies to it.  It is not completely cycled, but I moved the filter media from their QT tank to the bigger tank, and it is getting closer to being cycled-I am seeing nitrites and trace nitrates.  I will continue to do large water changes every day, and will probably do a few rounds of prazi once it is cycled.  Anyways, here is what I have:

I have a 29 gal tank with two Aquaclear 50's on it.  I started out with a black on black scheme with my first two fish, but have completely redone the tank for the new fish.  I put a frosted glass cling on the back, light colored caribsea sand (I think it is called moonlight), some big rocks, a marineland double bright LED light (I got a bigger one than I needed because I am planning to upgrade to a 40B), and I just added an anubias, a java fern, and a moss ball.  I am going to see how they do, but I would definitely like to fill in the spaces with more plants and maybe some driftwood eventually.

I have three new fish.

Momo-Black Moor-measured 1.25" body and 2" overall when I got him.  I chose him because he was the smallest black moor I have ever seen, and also because he has a really nice long tail.  It has been a few weeks now and I can tell he has already grown.  I am not sure if Momo is a male or female yet, he is really tiny and I can't get a good look at his vent :)

Bubbles-Black Moor-measured 1.5" body and 2.5" overall.  I really liked her because she had a chunkier body than Momo and I liked how she had a nice tall dorsal fin.  Bubbles is a female.

Sprite-Telescope-measured 1.5" body and 3" overall.  Sprite was the only telescope goldfish at the store that wasn't a black moor.  He has a very nice tail, and also I like that he has little black spots on his tail.  He is very bossy, and I am nearly certain he is a male.

All of my three new fish are totally awesome, and have shown no signs of illness or distress at all.  They get along great, and their favorite pass times are eating, digging in the sand, riding the bubbles, and swimming around the tank in a little group of three.  I will be measuring them again soon, and I also want to get a scale so I can keep track of their weight gain.

One thing that is sort of weird-the sand keeps getting stuck to them.  It makes them look like they have sparkles, kind of like the vampires in Twilight.  I am 99% sure it is sand and not ich or something else because it didn't show up until I put them in with the sand, but I am going to continue with the salt and heater for a couple more weeks since I am so paranoid about it.  The sand is everywhere!  It is also stuck to the rocks and the plant leaves, and has already ruined one filter.  Since then I have added sponges to the filter intakes, hopefully it will help, because I really like how the sand looks and I don't want to have to get rid of it.

Here is a picture of the full tank.  The top looks dark but it is really just the shadows from my filters-you can sort of see through the frosted glass if something is pressed against it.

3173E3i.jpg

Next are a couple pics of my fish Sprite, the bossy one.  In one of the pictures you can see he the mysterious sand sparkles on him-those are NOT breeding stars!

rmsPppv.jpg

CfaOuhd.jpg

Now here is a picture of Bubbles:

lXCx1k6.jpg

And Momo on the first day I got him:

Hz5k7Lq.jpg

And here is another of Momo on his first day.  He is in his QT tank and you can see my goldfish Sharky looking at him through the glass.

HBV7Sns.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eeeeek, baby telescopes! They're absolutely adorable. Your tank looks fantastic, too. I really like that frosted glass cling you used as a background!

Sprite is my favorite. He looks sassy!

Edited by RanchuDressing

Oh my your tank looks beautiful! You've scaped it so well!

The placement of those rocks makes my eyes so happy. Love the minimalism.

It reminds of a tank by Jeffrey Senske from Aquarium Design Group, which I've always admired the look of.

0655D455-B3DD-4BA2-ACBB-6153A5469F47_zps

Heres a link to the YouTube vid

(Try to ignore the hideous overstocking, I hope it was just for show!)

Eeeeek, baby telescopes! They're absolutely adorable. Your tank looks fantastic, too. I really like that frosted glass cling you used as a background!

Sprite is my favorite. He looks sassy!

Thanks, I after so many hours of work, it is so nice to hear compliments.  You are right, Sprite is the super sassiest fish out of the bunch :)

Oh my your tank looks beautiful! You've scaped it so well!

The placement of those rocks makes my eyes so happy. Love the minimalism.

It reminds of a tank by Jeffrey Senske from Aquarium Design Group, which I've always admired the look of.

0655D455-B3DD-4BA2-ACBB-6153A5469F47_zps

Heres a link to the YouTube vid

(Try to ignore the hideous overstocking, I hope it was just for show!)

Yup, this is the tank I was trying to emulate, except with fewer fish and with plants added in!  I guess I succeeded because I made you think of it LOL!

Your tank and Goldfish are beautiful!!!!

Thank you!

My tony black moor gets sand stuck on him, too. It freaks me out sometimes, but it happens. It wouldn't be so noticeable on any other fish. But since they are so dark, it's freaky.

Oh good, I have been asking other members who have sand if this happens to them, and so far nobody has had this problem.  It is probably like you said though, with black fish it is much more noticeable.  And with my daily WC the sand really gets stirred up a lot!  Anyway, I feel a little relieved :)

Thanks to everyone else for all the nice comments.  I do have some ideas for some small changes/additions to the tank which I will be doing in a couple of weeks when I am on spring break.  Also I plan to play around with maybe putting a white background behind the frosted glass (or maybe a light?) to make it more white/brighter like the Aquarium Design Group tank.  If anyone has any good ideas I would love to hear them!

Well it seems I am too excited to wait until I have time off to make any of my planned changes.  Also I found out the light I wanted was on sale at Petsmart and today was the last day of the sale.  It seemed like a good enough excuse to me :)

So I added a marineland hidden LED light to brighten up the front half of my tank.  I also put a white piece of foam board behind the frosted glass so the filters wouldn't show through, and I switched to just one bubble wand and put it behind the rocks to hide it.  While I was at the store, I also picked up a few new plants: an anubias variety, an echinodorus Argentinensis (Argentine Sword), and Alternanthera reineckii (Scarlet Temple).  There are still a few little adjustments and additions I want to make, but my tank is getting very close to how I want it to be!

Here is a picture of the new arrangement:

ibwuPpN.jpg

And one of Little Mo smelling the flowers (or actually probably eating them):

Qv2mKw0.jpg

The flowers are real, they are the plant called Alternanthera reineckii (Scarlet Temple).  I got those at Petco and they were packaged in a little bag.  I bought them without knowing what they were.  I have been looking up info about them online and I am seeing different information, some websites say they need CO2 and some websites say they don't and that they are easy to grow.  I guess I will just have to wait and see, I hope they grow because I really like them!  I put some in my Betta tank too :)

Your tank and fish look great.  I love the colors of the two bigger rocks on the left and how you have them placed.  Beautiful tank with all your plants also. 

The flowers are real, they are the plant called Alternanthera reineckii (Scarlet Temple).  I got those at Petco and they were packaged in a little bag.  I bought them without knowing what they were.  I have been looking up info about them online and I am seeing different information, some websites say they need CO2 and some websites say they don't and that they are easy to grow.  I guess I will just have to wait and see, I hope they grow because I really like them!  I put some in my Betta tank too :)

Are these the same thing??

Alternanthera Reineckii

I think so.  From what I have read they can be brighter or duller depending on how bright your lights are.  Here is a link to them from planted aquariums central, if you read the customer reviews one guy says that his vary in color based on placement in the tank in relation to the light.  And mine are so small, but when they grow they get taller like that :)  Or maybe you could check out your local Petco because I got mine there for only 6.99, and one package came with enough so that I could plant 3 little bunches in my GF tank and also 3 bunches in my Betta tank.

http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/Alternanthera-reineckii-roseafolia-colorful-plant_p_14.html#tab-2

Edited by Josie

Love your setup, and it also reminded me of the same tank Kate89 posted!  Love the idea of the frosted glass as well.  I don't have a background on my tank (I kind of like the openness - and am too cheap to buy a new one), and was bored of boring black (and all the algae it showed), so I'll definitely be keeping that idea for future reference!

Big news in my goldfish world: I got 2 new telescopes!  I have been keeping an eye on them every time I go to the LFS for a few weeks now, and today I finally acted!  One is a calico, I named her Zola, her tail fins are a little bit curved but I still think she is wonderful.  The other one is orange and I named him Nano.  They both are very deep bodied and stocky-in fact they reminded me of the fish I see on Dandy Orandas.  They are in QT right now (sorry, it is hard to get good pics of them in QT).  After QT I will probably be adding them into my 29 gal tank temporarily (I KNOW, I will be very overstocked-lots of WC), but I am saving up for a 75 gallon, which I think will be fine especially since they are all on the small side.  Eventually when I move somewhere bigger I plan to have a 125 :)  I also got 2 nerite snails, which I put directly into the tank, maybe I should have put them in QT, I don't know.  My glass canopy does not have that plastic part where you can make cutouts for filters, does anyone know if this will be a problem?  Will my snails try to crawl out?

Here is a pic of my new fishies in their petstore bag:

DWSOTwV.jpg

And here they are in the container I use to measure them:

dTopOZI.jpg

And my 2 nerites:

GZoOuoM.jpg

I also re-measured my existing fish, and everyone has grown about 1/4 inch!  I will continue to measure every month or so and post the results.  Here is the chart so far:

CGuv18s.png

Edited by Josie

Tank Update:

So my goldfish kept uprooting the plants that looked like flowers, and I decided to move them into the betta tank.  Perhaps if they grow well in there eventually I can move them back to the GF tank.  I decided to add some anubias nana petite in their place.  I also got 2 more moss balls and a piece of driftwood which I tied java fern to.  Unfortunately the only java fern I could find was not in great shape, but I gave it a trim and I am hoping it will still grow.  I am already seeing new leaves on my sword plants and on the anubias that I already had!  

My QT fish are doing great!  I can't wait to add them in with the other fish so I can get some good pics of them!

I also have been comparison shopping for 75 gal tanks.  This is the best deal I found so far:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariums-stands/marineland-75g-aquarium-majesty-ensemble-zid36-22101/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-22101&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

I really like this tank because it has a glass canopy and a marineland LED, which I prefer to traditional plastic hoods with fluorescent tubes.  I like the stand too because there is a lot of room for storage and it completely conceales everything you put underneath.  The best part is that in store it is almost always on sale for at least $100 off, I think I have actually seen it as low as $299 at one point.  I plan to also get two aquaclear 110's to use with it.

Here are some pics of the new plants:

Y6n7o9C.jpg

Look how tiny Mo still is!

HIWiNRu.jpg

Here is a picture of goldfish singing:

IEs8riN.jpg

SPINACH FEEDING FRENZY!!!!!

6vEbhAQ.jpg

And one of Sprite.  I like to imagine in this picture that the spinach is actually a spaghetti noodle the he is slurping up :)

BV7rCMH.jpg

I love everything about this.   I already have 2 full tank set ups, a pond outside, and 2 fry tanks going on at the moment, and your thread STILL makes me wants to get something else started up.  Great job!

Your teles are adorable!  I especially like your new little calico  :wub: