Aqueon 55/75 or Aquaclear 110

stech

For 90 Gallon tank HOB Aqueon 55/75 or Aquaclear 110?  Your experiences?

From what I gather:

Aqueon 55/75 is quiet and can hold about same amount of bio media and self prime but pump is in-tank so it'll heat up water abit. 

AC 110 holds alot media, water flow but loud and impeller issues?

Maybe I should just stick to K1 moving bed and ATI Hydro sponge?

• Admin

For 90 Gallon tank HOB Aqueon 55/75 or Aquaclear 110?  Your experiences?

From what I gather:

Aqueon 55/75 is quiet and can hold about same amount of bio media and self prime but pump is in-tank so it'll heat up water abit. 

AC 110 holds alot media, water flow but loud and impeller issues?

Maybe I should just stick to K1 moving bed and ATI Hydro sponge?

I loved mine...only impeller issues I had was sand getting in there, other than that I didnt have issues :)

Aqueon doesn't have as much media space as the 110. My Aqueon has been more reliable than my 110, and seems to push more water. That is a observation on how quickly it clears a tank, not a result of actual testing. I like them both, and don't think you could go wrong either way. For the price, the Aqueon is as good in my opinion and based on my recent experiences. The self priming of the Aqueon is a nice feature also, but you do lose a lot of media space compared to the 110.

I have 4 or 5 of the aqueons and no complaints. I don't think the aquaclear could possibly hold more media by the size of the box it comes in but I have never had one so I may be wrong. The motor may warm the water but it is a negligable amount based on my water temp vs room temp. They are within 1 degree at my house.

I had 2 aquaclears on my 55. One just died so I just bought the aqueon 50. Definitely less space for media, but Rob is right about how much water it circulates. The aqueon sits up higher on my tank so the waterfall outflow was spilling onto my glass top. :( I still don't know how I'm going to rig this :o

But as far as filtering the tank, I think they are both good :)