Bio Medias K1 and Ceramedia MarinePure

stech

Anyone had experience with K1 moving bed filters (DIY bottle with air pump) or Ceramedia MarinePure 1.5 Sphere?  How do they compare to BioMax , Matrix or Hydro sponge V?

The following may be helpful:

One thing he mentions: a K1 (plastic media) fluidized bio filter will take at least six months for a 'mature' colony to develop.

Keep in mind: the guy in the video owns the 'biohome' brand, so he puts on a hard sell for his products. Biohome isn't suited to a DIY bottle bio filter, and he tells you not to use it.

One thing I think he mentions: a mature fluidized bio filter is capable of rapidly processing a massive spike of ammonia and nitrites. The problem is that while doing so, it'll deplete the oxygen in tank, suffocating your fish.

Edited by troy.telford

I honestly prefer the ceramic media like biomax. Matrix and fluval prefilter is great too, but doesn't have the same amount of space for bacteria. I stick with what I know personally works best because I don't want to risk the lives of my fish.

For a moving bed filter it has to be a lighter plastic media and all of the ceramics would sink to the bottom, I'm not sure if you mean using it in addition to the usual plastic media?

With that said, make sure you do all the research necessary and write down all the pros and cons prior to introducing fish to a system you're not completely comfortable with.

I'm not personally familiar with the systems, and I'm not sure I would use them for goldfish specifically.

Edited by Chai

K1 used in ponds, discus and turtle tanks. Thinks it works. I am going with AC 110 with Biomax plus k1 the AC 110 should provide a lot oxygen to tank. Will add air stone too.. The ceramedia marinepure sphere will clog less than Biomax.