Eggs Appeared During QT

Frederickfirst

Hello everyone,

So I have been so busy (and worried) about treating one of my male orandas for a wen issues that I almost didn't notice two of my other orandas ( in a totally different tank) had eggs!!!  I have taken them out of the main tank but I have a few questions...

1. The tank they came from are new fish that are still in QT so there is 0.1% salt and I was about to dose Prazi again (today but havent yet). Will the eggs even hatch in these conditions?

2. How long does it take for the eggs to stick to things? As of now, few if any are stuck to anything.  I'm assuming these are bad eggs...yes?

3. Both orandas are about 19 months old (told by the breeder), is that too young? maybe why the eggs are not sticking? I have had the fish since 2/6/15.

Thanks everyone! I would love to try to raise them but I may be in over my head.

-Alli

1. If they're fertilized, they should hatch.

2. Fertilized eggs stick to things very quickly a lot of the time. Unfertilized eggs, and eggs in areas of high current, don't often stick to things. We can't say for sure if they are bad eggs, since we don't know if they're fertilized or not. 

3. No, that's not too young. Fish under a year of age can have eggs. (they may not always be viable, but I know of at least one person on here who had good fry from fish that were very young.) 

Usually you will know if the eggs are fertile in a couple of days, when you can see the little eyes and spines of the fry in their eggs. Just keep an eye on them. :)

Wenissues might be related to the spawning, released eggs can harm the waterquality very quickly and might cause wenissues.

1. 0.1% salt with the fry is fine, i also have a small amount of salt in the fry tanks.

2. Fertilized eggs allmost stick immediately, if they do not stick i doubt they are fertilized.

3. Depending on the climate and growtrate a healthy goldfish is fertile between 6 months and 1 year, so its fine to breed these.

Very interesting about the wen.  My male that has the wen issues had never been in the same tank as the breeding pair.  But on the note of breeding and water quality, should I do a water change on the breeding pairs tank now that I took the eggs out.  The water is slightly cloudy still from breeding. 

Oh how fun! Thank you.  When do I add an airstone?  Or sponge filter?

I'd wait until the fry are free-swimming before adding either of those. There are a lot of helpful posts in the Breeding section, so don't forget to take a look. :)

Also, I thought I would mention that the bad eggs will turn white and start to get fuzzy. Remove them as soon as you see them. 

Edited by ChelseaM

Well, it has been long enough for you to tell if they are fertile or not. If they don't have little black dots or lines inside of them, then they aren't fertile and you can throw them away.