3 goldies in a 40GB?

kehresmann

I know typically the stocking guidelines for a 40 gallon breeder would be only 2 goldfish but I was wondering if I could get away with having 3 if I upped water changes and got multiple higher quality filters. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated, I don't want any cramped unhappy goldfish but I was thinking having a trio instead of a pair would lessen the bullying going on in my tank lately. Thanks in advance to all the lovely koko members that reply! :)

It would be okay to have as long as water changes are more often and the perimeters are met. Fish in the wild live in schools (packs) which you want to create but at a reasonable measure. So your answer would be yes you could as long as the standars were meet  

I have done it for a long time up until recently. I wouldn't choose that for my girls at their current size, but you could do just fine with big water changes and an adequate filter.

I never tested my water but I never felt a need to as I have always been extra diligent and our tap water isn't a factor.

There's only two of them now but I'm still planning to upgrade for them, not out of necessity but because I never want upgrading in the future to be an issue.

Edited by Chai

I have 3 Goldfish in a 40 breeder tank. They are still small (1 7/8 inches long and smaller, 8.8 grams and smaller) I do 50% water changes once a week. I probably will have to do a bit larger water change or 2 water changes a week when they get bigger, but It is still doable ;)

I have done it for a long time up until recently. I wouldn't choose that for my girls at their current size, but you could do just fine with big water changes and an adequate filter.

I never tested my water but I never felt a need to as I have always been extra diligent and our tap water isn't a factor.

There's only two of them now but I'm still planning to upgrade for them, not out of necessity but because I never want upgrading in the future to be an issue.

Well it's definitely comforting to know that it's very doable with a little extra effort in water changes. :) I've had my heart set on ordering a pearlscale from Dandy Orandas recently and my apartment limits tank size at 40 gallons AND my father limits my tanks to only one. So until next year, I am stuck with having one single 40 gallon .. :( So I'm glad that the idea of adding a third to chunk clan is a possible option. :)

I have 3 Goldfish in a 40 breeder tank. They are still small (1 7/8 inches long and smaller, 8.8 grams and smaller) I do 50% water changes once a week. I probably will have to do a bit larger water change or 2 water changes a week when they get bigger, but It is still doable ;)

50% water changes weekly isn't bad at all! I'd end up doing more though, since my chunks are a little bit bigger. But I'd definitely be willing to do a little more work if it meant I could add another little porker to the group.:P

Maybe we should figure out the bullying issue before adding more fish?

Agreed.  Adding another could make it worse if it's a territorial thing . . . :idont

And I've had 3 fish in a 40B and things went very well.  BUT they certainly weren't DO sized GF and I wouldn't put 3 DO sized GF in a 40B.  :no:

The bullying issue isn't severe, no fin nips or injuries just lot's of my fantail chasing my moor around. They get along for the most part it's just feeding time when they both get a little bit sassy with eachother. (Aka: My fantail chasing my moor) Bullying might have been too harsh of a word to use. I've done my best to making feeding time a little less aggressive by feeding them in different areas of the tank, but they still from time to time get to chasing eachother around. Which I realize is normal ish goldfish behavior it just bothers me that my moor may get too stressed from it. Sorry I know I sound like such a worry wart. xD

Agreed.  Adding another could make it worse if it's a territorial thing . . . :idont

And I've had 3 fish in a 40B and things went very well.  BUT they certainly weren't DO sized GF and I wouldn't put 3 DO sized GF in a 40B.  :no:

I wasn't planning on adding a 3rd till summer(If I do) So I'll be sure to keep a closer look on the goldies and how they act before I add another, you are definitely more than right that it would be more than a bad idea to add another fish to already territorial fish and I would never want to do anything to harm the chunks in any way so I'll definitely sort out the strange chasing before I add another goldie to the tank. :)Also from what I've seen on the auctions from DO not all their sales are adult goldfish? The pearlscales are usually photographed with a golfball next to them so I couldn't imagine them being bigger than 2-3 inches...

The only fish I've seen on DO are rather large.  I prefer to get small fish and grow them out myself.  I contacted Ken at DO to see if he ever sold smaller fish (in the 2 inch range) and he said no.  :idont

Well dang! There goes that dream. :thumbdown  I guess I'll have to wait till I get my own house to order any DO fish...Oh well at least I can look at all the pretty fish for auction and dream right? hahaha :P

You could wait until it's closer to breeding season and you may have some people here with fry that you might like. A couple of us have pearlies. :teehee

My LFS currently has some really adorable baby hamanishikis and tikus that just came out of quarantine. :ehh

Edited by Chai

You could wait until it's closer to breeding season and you may have some people here with fry that you might like. A couple of us have pearlies. :teehee

My LFS currently has some really adorable baby hamanishikis and tikus that just came out of quarantine. :ehh

I might just have to do that. :)