Clamped fins= ick?

mickeyrom

To Bagho. I have exceeded my quote quotient, but I think the salt level is around 0.3

Is there a way to test it?

There is a way to test it by measuring the specific gravity of the water. But you'd need to buy a hydrometer.

If you are unsure of the concentration, I'd suggest you put the fish in a bucket or bowl with the old tank water, and do a full water change. Then add 10 TBS of salt to your 10 gallon aquarium.

Release the fish.

To Bagho. I have exceeded my quote quotient, but I think the salt level is around 0.3

Is there a way to test it?

There is a way to test it by measuring the specific gravity of the water. But you'd need to buy a hydrometer.

If you are unsure of the concentration, I'd suggest you put the fish in a bucket or bowl with the old tank water, and do a full water change. Then add 10 TBS of salt to your 10 gallon aquarium.

Release the fish.

:thumb:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish doing any better, Mickey?

Fish doing any better, Mickey?

Good morning Bagho,

It's a mixed bag. One was never sick, and is fine. The gold one seems better, and the calico is not well, but salt will not help him. I think his issue is the swim bladder.

Edited by mickeyrom

Remember that if one fish has parasites, then they all probably have parasites.  So, the salt will help the Calico with at least this.  What symptom(s) is the Calico exhibiting that indicates a swim bladder problem?

Remember that if one fish has parasites, then they all probably have parasites.  So, the salt will help the Calico with at least this.  What symptom(s) is the Calico exhibiting that indicates a swim bladder problem?

His name is George, and he either sits on the gravel, or when he does go up, struggles to get back down to the bottom esspecially if he is trying to go down nose first. He also rolls, like he is drunk or something. I am sure this is a bladder issue, and I already did the "fast and feed peas" treatment which seem to work briefly, but now he is back to what he was in the beginning. All three of our fish are from Walmart, so not a good start in their lives.

Any idea how long they can live with this swim bladder disease?

Edited by mickeyrom

Good evening, Mickey! Has he developed the swim bladder problem recently or long ago?

Remember that if one fish has parasites, then they all probably have parasites.  So, the salt will help the Calico with at least this. 

:thumb

His name is George, and he either sits on the gravel, or when he does go up, struggles to get back down to the bottom esspecially if he is trying to go down nose first. He also rolls, like he is drunk or something. I am sure this is a bladder issue, and I already did the "fast and feed peas" treatment which seem to work briefly, but now he is back to what he was in the beginning. All three of our fish are from Walmart, so not a good start in their lives.

Any idea how long they can live with this swim bladder disease?

Mickey, do you feed your fish food that has been SOAKED in water for at least 5 minutes?

I have experience of a fish living for around 2 years after developing a swim bladder disease.

Do check this out!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2313439/Disabled-fish-swim-right-way-owner-makes-LIFE-JACKET-stop-sinking-tank.html

Mickey, how are they doing now? I just wanted to add that the people here are super helpful and know what they're talking about! 0.3 percent seems like a shocking amount of salt - I am adding 15 teaspoons back with each 5 gallon tablespoon - but it is the therapeutic amount, and it can really help with parasite infestations. My little guy is doing much better after being treated with salt and prazipro. And the plants are hanging in there. It's actually a tolerable amount, and will kill off many parasites without doing much harm to your plants, or any to the biofilter.

Bagho, that's a great tip about soaking the food. I am going to start doing that, too.

Mickey,  you have lovely fish, and I hope they're better now.

Thank you, Mary. When I was inexperienced, I used to feed them unsoaked, dry foods, and all died of swim bladder disease. Dry food soaks water and expand inside the stomach (I mean, the alimentary canal; goldfishes do not have a stomach.) Let's take it that the fish intakes 100% of its capacity. Now the food expands upto twice its size as it soaks water. It presses hard against the swimbladder and damages it permanently in the long run.

Thank you, Mary. When I was inexperienced, I used to feed them unsoaked, dry foods, and all died of swim bladder disease. Dry food soaks water and expand inside the stomach (I mean, the alimentary canal; goldfishes do not have a stomach.) Let's take it that the fish intakes 100% of its capacity. Now the food expands upto twice its size as it soaks water. It presses hard against the swimbladder and damages it permanently in the long run.

Starting the next pellet feeding, they will be soaked. I am planning the same for our Betta. I am sad to tell you that George died yesterday. I don't know the cause of death, but he was with us only since the 7th of this month.

I also intend to feed more natural food in the future, as they probably will do better on veggies and frozed blood worms. Right now, my two remaining seem doing fine.

Mickey, how are they doing now? I just wanted to add that the people here are super helpful and know what they're talking about! 0.3 percent seems like a shocking amount of salt - I am adding 15 teaspoons back with each 5 gallon tablespoon - but it is the therapeutic amount, and it can really help with parasite infestations. My little guy is doing much better after being treated with salt and prazipro. And the plants are hanging in there. It's actually a tolerable amount, and will kill off many parasites without doing much harm to your plants, or any to the biofilter.

Bagho, that's a great tip about soaking the food. I am going to start doing that, too.

Mickey,  you have lovely fish, and I hope they're better now.

Mary, thank you for asking, but sadly George has gone to the big tank in the sky. :(  The others seem fine. :)

I am sorry, Mickey. I know you did your best for him.

I did Mary. I don't think it was that bladder issue that killed him, but whatever it was it didn't take long. It did cut his suffering short.

Edited by mickeyrom