How do you know when it's time to let go?

fup10k

Thank you everyone for the insight!! Yes, I do love my fish a lot lol.

She wasn't quite sure what would have caused the swim bladder to move around, but we are going to check his status again after the 2 week injections and see where we want to go from there.

If he's back to normal, then great! If not, she did mention that they could attempt surgery to reposition and potentially remove any "bad" parts of the swim bladder. I'm a little more frightened of surgery considering his small size (and the fact that he might not make it) but... I guess there's also the fact that he could die if this is a recurring problem as well.

Either way! He's never seemed to give up yet so I won't give up on him.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have much experience with it, but I am curious as to how they would go about removing bad parts of the swim bladder. There are only two parts... and it's an extremely delicate organ.

I don't have much experience with it, but I am curious as to how they would go about removing bad parts of the swim bladder. There are only two parts... and it's an extremely delicate organ.

She said that she has been able to go through and clean them out and remove small sections before, but there's another surgeon who would be helping her who i've never met. I'll have to ask her more details when she calls me to check in. (If not, i'll be calling her friday anyway)

Hopefully it will just stay a curiosity and not something i'll have to go through with anyway.  

She said that she has been able to go through and clean them out and remove small sections before, but there's another surgeon who would be helping her who i've never met. I'll have to ask her more details when she calls me to check in. (If not, i'll be calling her friday anyway)

Hopefully it will just stay a curiosity and not something i'll have to go through with anyway.  

I'm excited to hear about it, if she wants to divulge. 

:heart Here's to hoping it doesn't need to happen.

Small update: Got another baytril injection today. :) He did not enjoy the car ride (or the injection for that matter) but he is happy and swimming in quarantine again. 

Still no signs of swim bladder refilling, but he does seem less confused about directions. 

That reminds me of cats who have damage to whiskers and while they're healing, have some trouble with coordination. He will get the hang of it, you're doing great!

This thread really got me thinking and I realized that if my fish were to need serious medical help, I'd end up jumping for it as well. I think at this point with all the time, money, and love I've dedicated to them, they're irreplaceable.

That is very good advice. I'd like to avoid it too. 

I am wondering, is there a safe way I could do this at home? Judging by his x-rays it was VERY easy to tell where to poke last time because it was the side he was leaning toward (and it was a gas bulge). I just don't want to wind up spending $100 every time this happens (IF it does happen) to x-ray and find exactly where it is. Is something like this predictable? 

Also, a little update: I have been gently guiding him upright while i am feeding him. I have him "sit" in my hand and will gently nudge him to keep him upright when he sways to either side. 

Today he was able to hold himself up and swim across the container a few times before losing his balance and floating to his side. He was very good navigating with just his two side fins, so I think it's safe to say that once his swim bladder fills again (hopefully it does) he will be able to swim normally using the bottom ones as well. .  All of his underside sores are completely healed at this point and he's been so much more alert, and much happier!

This is one of the most interesting threads I've ever read I think! Glad to hear he's doing better and here's to hoping for a full revovery!

I'm glad everyone's enjoyed reading it! It's been a bit of a long story lol :)

Little victory tonight: suna has learned to get himself upright and can stay stable like that for a few minutes all on his own. He's been swimming vertically to be able to lift himself enough to land on his stomach.

Good to hear your fish is doing better!

I've seen threads on Koko's about people retraining their fish to swim after dealing with swim bladder issues. I can't find them right now, but maybe someone else remembers and can provide a link to one of the threads.

Edited by LisaCGold

• 2 months later...

Alrighty guys, it's been a few months so here is an update!!

So, Suna can notttt swim. He won't inflate himself (if he even can) but he knows how to push his fins in a way to propel himself upward (and awkwardly turn in a circle lol)

He still lays on his side most of the time, but scoots around the tank pretty well. I still hand feed him since he can't coordinate himself well. 

Anyway.... I think this means he's going to be permanently disabled. He is still happy and healthy as far as I can tell, but I do feel bad that he's always on his side and not doing anything. I know that harnesses are bad but... what else is there to do to help him? (Do you think there's any sort of...fishy piercing I could put to attach floaties to?  :rolleyes: )

Do you think there's a chance I could re-train him to swim upright? 

I did see that previously, I have no idea why he suddenly got better either.  Suna was in 10" of water for over a month before placing him back into his tank again, so I don't think he'll make a magical recovery just like Adam did. 

Ok, so I left a message for the vet this morning because... I'm really considering surgery for him, but I'm just so afraid of how...invasive it is. I love Suna so much, I don't want to put him through being cut open and picked apart just for a small chance of fixing his bladder issue.  :no:

This next part will probably sound crazy but, I saw a video with someone who had put piercings on his Oscar. I was so grossed out, I can't believe he would do something like that to his fish just for the hell of it because he thought it looked "cool."

.... But it really did make me think about the possibility of setting up a few piercings for suna along his back and base of his tail,  that way I can attach some floats to him and not worry about hurting his scales or slime-coat with a harness.  

I mean, do you guys think this is an option for him? I'm going to ask my vet what she thinks...but i do know that she and I are worried about his chances of survival after invasive surgery, so she may even think it's a better option.  But I would really like some advice. 

I did see that previously, I have no idea why he suddenly got better either.  Suna was in 10" of water for over a month before placing him back into his tank again, so I don't think he'll make a magical recovery just like Adam did. 

Adam was in 3 inches of water for 4 months, 10 inches of water for about a month,  and recovered after about a month in five inches of water.  I put him in the deep (10 inch) container to give myself a break from the care, and transferred him to the five inch water as soon as I got it set up.  I think being in the deep water forced him to exercise if he wanted to get the duckweed, even though he could just get a quick mouthful at a time.  That probably made him strong enough to be able to swim for more than a few seconds at a time when he got back in shallow water.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so upset right now. 

Last week I brought him in for more x-rays and we discovered that everything is normal intestinally, which doesn't explain why he's not swimming. 

The vet suggested that we suture on a cork to him to help him float, and at least get him off of the bottom. 

Fastforward to today, the day he is supposed to have the suturing done:

1. I couldn't be the one to bring him in or pick him up, because I had work. My boyfriend had to bring him in so he had no idea what i really did or did not want done

2. THEY PUT A HARNESS ON HIM WITHOUT CALLING US BEFOREHAND TO MAKE SURE WE WERE OKAY WITH A HARNESS.

3. While they were fooling around trying to figure out how to fit it on him, they managed to make him lose most of the scales on either side of him, shred up his bottom fins, destroy most of his slime coat and stress him out beyond belief. 

So now I'm stuck with him in a harness which i did not want, having to give him extra baytril injections which i did not want, giving salt dips, and dealing with a very lethargic, very stressed out fish. 

What's worse is that I specifically told my vet that i wanted suturing to AVOID any contact with his scales. Holy hell.