Sign in to follow this  
Josie

Starting new Betta tank

First time seeing your thread.

Your tanks look beautiful.

I really like the newest one.

Great job.

Awesome advice. I will definitely keep it in mind if the dwarf hairgrass doesn't work out. If I were to use moss as a carpet, what type would I get?

It doesn't matter so much, but java moss, Christmas moss or flame moss would be my personal choices. I'd probably choose flame moss, I quite like the way it looks. :)

I have never had any luck with the hair grass in my tanks either. I am not crazy about moss either it gets all over the tank. So I don't  any low growing plants. I just try to fill the tank as much plants as possible so you don't notice it to much.  lol

Tank Update:

Today I got my plants in the mail!  I was so excited.  I ended up taking out two of the amazon swords and two of the anubias from the back corners of the tank since I couldn't get them to stay planted.  I replaced them with hornwort in the back left corner (it is too short to see in the pic) and water sprite in the back right corner.  I put the new wisteria in front of the log.  One thing I am confused about is the wisteria.  I had bought one at petsmart, but this new one I ordered looks way different!  Are they different plants or just different kinds of wisteria?  If anyone knows please tell me!!!  Pics are below.  I also got some frogbit, and I love it and I can't wait for it to grow long roots.

I decided to bring my dalmation mollies back to the store.  I really liked them, but I feel like they were harassing Babe a little-maybe my tank is just too small.  I replaced them with two more neon tetras, which are my new favorite type of fish!  I have never had a schooling fish before, and they are really fun to watch.  So my tank inhabitants are now: 1 male betta, 7 neon tetras, and 1 nerite snail.  I would still like to give RCS another try, but I am going to wait for things to start growing.

I replaced my old fluorescent bulb with a marineland LED and also a hidden LED (the exact same setup as I have on my GF tank only smaller).  I am planning to keep the hidden LED aimed at the hairgrass and continue to dose with excel, hopefully it will grow in and then I can take the hidden LED off because I think with both lights it is a bit much for a small 10 gallon with no CO2 tank.

Here are the pictures.

Complete tank:

RKHWAIN.jpg

"Wisteria" from petsmart.  It has some hairgrass stuck to it.
OoMWgTy.jpg

New wisteria-I like this new kind a lot:

m5mO43h.jpg

Floating frogbit.  It is like mini lilypads :)

crJu6Ll.jpg

If you plant wisteria in the soil it grows different then the stuff you let float.

The frogbit is going to take over in a week or two. It's similar to duckweed in how fast the reproduce. Duckweed can double its surface coverage (due to reproduction) in 24 hours. Your betta boy will love the frogbit and will start building bubblenests into it.

Anyway, everything looks great! Best of luck with everything! :D

The hygrophila difformis (wisteria) from petsmart is in its emergent form. After several weeks it will reacclimatise to life submerged and new leaves should resemble the ones you like. :)

The hygrophila difformis (wisteria) from petsmart is in its emergent form. After several weeks it will reacclimatise to life submerged and new leaves should resemble the ones you like. :)

Aaaah, thanks for clearing that up!

Well....the mixed tank went horribly.  My betta got stressed from having tank mates and was turning gray.  Then they all got ich!  I rushed out and bought the betta another tank-a 2.5 gallon with heater and Azoo mini filter.  Treated both tanks for ich, everyone survived aside from 1 neon tetra.  Now the 10 gallon has become a tropical tank, and I have learned my lesson and my poor Babe will be a single fish.  I have decorated his tank with an asian style theme, and I used clippings of stem plants from my other tanks.  He also has one petite anubias, three miniature marimo balls, two red dwarf lilies, and some other more delicate looking plants which I think go well in this tank.  I gave him a little pagoda style house with marimo rooftops.  I chose the most beautiful of my nerites to accompany him-a big yellow one with spots.  So far the nerite is keeping algae under control and all parameters have been good, and Babe has made a complete recovery from being sick and stressed.  I really hope this tank will last Babe for many years, I feel so bad that this is already the third tank I have had him in.  I snapped some pics of him today after the water change:

DyWq0U0.jpg

ZvouEtB.jpg

pPoIqXo.jpg

I love this setup. It's beautiful. Babe is a lucky guy.

I love this setup. It's beautiful. Babe is a lucky guy.

Thanks!  I felt bad the big 10 gallon didn't work out since it was meant for him, but he seems very content in his new 2.5 :)