Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishMaiden

I think my goldfish has swim bladder?

Hello 

I have been seeking help for weeks now. My goldfish Neo who is a Jumbo Oranda has some swimming issues. I have had him for 2 months now and just this month he has started to do this really scary thing but ONLY AT NIGHT for some reason he floats around upside down most of the night. He dose gulp air sometimes during the day but its not a massive thing like you would see if the water quality was very poor. I have asked and asked people to help and no one has an answer. I am fasting him for 3 days and hoping it will help I just want to take precautions just in case it doesn't work. He lives in a quarantine tank which is a 20 gallon long tank with 40 gallon canister filtration system. I feed him peas repashy gel food solient and super green 50% mixed together and on rare days I feed him southern delight pellets (I have stopped feeding him those because I dot want to make things worse). As of right now I do not know his water parameters I have ran out of strips and haven't been able to go anywhere to get a kit or more strips because there was a hug snow storm that gave us 17 inches of snow. Also haven't done a water change since  2/13/15 because we have no water. But he didn't just start floating this week it has been all month. I try and do 3 water changes a week some are 100% and then some are just 50% they vary depending on what the water looks like. Please someone help me. I don't want my fish to die :( !

hello, welcome to kokos. i am sorry that your fish is acting oddly.. however, we are unable to tell you what the quality of the water is like, if you are unable to test the water parameters. when do you think you will be able to leave the house? could you take a sample of the tank water to the LFS so that they can test it for you, for free? (most do).

for now, i think you should only feed peas for the next 24 hours and then go ahead an fast him for a few days. this will help us to rule out any constipation issues, however, i feel this may be water quality related.

could you answer as many of the following questions that you can?

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Welcome to Koko's and I hope your Oranda Neo feels better.

I do not know when I will be able to change the water. We are still working on it I hope by Monday. Also I answered as muh as I could hope this helps a little. I won't be able to go to the store for atleast another week or until my roads get cleared.

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) N/A
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) N/A
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)N/A
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)N/a
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)N/A
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)N/A
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)N/a
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)N/A
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?API
      • * Water temperature?63
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?20 gallon long, 9 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? sunsun caniser filter 4 gallon
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 3 times a wk
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?1wk
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?1 9 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 1 a day 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. API salt
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc  Floating upside down for several hours.
Edited by GoldfishMaiden

ok, thanks for that :)

since no water can be changed, and no water params can be tested. the best course of action here will be to feed the peas and then fast for 48 hours. if you are concerned for the water quality until you can make a water change, then i can recommend that you dose prime every other day.

prime expires in the water after 4 or 5 hours. so it will do it's job in case there is any toxic build up and to keep the nitrates under control. 

given your situation, i don't think that much more can be done right now.

please keep us updated with any progress, good or bad.

good luck :)

Thank you so much for the information. I will get started on that right now. Thanks you   :)

Just dosed with prime and he is looking better not as much floating around.

Edited by GoldfishMaiden

Clean snow can be good for a water change.

The best deal on the API Freshwater Master Kit will be on line.  Amazon is quite reasonable.

Clean snow can be good for a water change.

since i don't come from a climate that produces snow, i am finding this a fascinating idea :)

Sorry to hear about your sick fish and difficult situation. I think clean snow is safe to use, best to avoid icicles though - they often have bacteria in them, just look for clean snow and melt that. I hope things improve for you

Yep, when the pipes freeze up here we just boil clean snow for water. It's safe to use for WCs, showers, and drinking after it has boiled and cooled. 

Edited by ChelseaM