Goldfish developed HUGE bump on his left side

smg2227

Hi All!

So my goldfish has developed a huge bump on his left side, one day it wasnt there the next it was. maybe it happened in a course of a couple days but it really was sudden, now its protruding out to the point where it looks like his scales are coming off and it looks a little cotton-ish too. it doesnt seem to hurt him he is still acting his normal self. I figured it was a tumor and that hes going to probably die soon and just gave up and didnt even bother trying to figure it out and let nature take its course. (I had a goldfish that died months ago and I had him for 5 years, I was really sad when he passed because that goldy and I went through hell and back trying to keep him alive when he would get sick, which happened alot when I first got him but we always made it through, i spent alot of $$ on things to give him a good healthy life, so after he died I kind of gave up and said I wouldnt do that anymore bc i got really attached and was really sad) So since Ive hhad a goldy pass, I figured  it was time for this one to go and I was going to let everything run its course but the animal lover inside of me is telling me to try and keep him alive if I can and o anything possible so IM here once again after a couple years asking what  can do to this fishy to help him, if its not too late. I will leave info that I have below and a video of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u96Tdd7kge8

• ammonia: i naturally have ammonia but I use PRIME so it wont hurt him. usuall stuck between .25 and .50
  • last water change was last week I always do 50% (my pipes are frozen at the moment so i cant possibly do another right now)
  • nitrite 0ppm
  • nitrate 10ppm
  • ph is normal too
  • i havent used salt
  • i havent used any medication
  • hes on a 10 gal tank, i used to have him in a 27 gal but because of all the water changes i couldnt keep him in it anymore it was costing me alot of $$ on my water bill
  • his stomach is a bit bloated im assuming cuz of the food i give him they aretetrafin goldfish crisp, i try feeding him peas once in a while to help with any bladder issues
  • his eyes are a bit bulged out too, again i think this was from before when i couldnt do many chages in water so the lack of water changes may have affected him before
  • i dont know the brand of tank or filter i dont have the boxes anymore and i dont change filter i just rinse it with his tank water
  • i also have airstones, two of them in his tank

if anyone  could help i would really appreciate it

THANKS!

• Supporter

hello,

i am thinking that this issue your fish has is a bacteria cyst. the further back from the gills they are, the more severe they look.

his environment is a little concerning though and most likely the cause for this symptom. i understand that you are unable to do much at the moment. but it might have been better to keep him in the 27 gallon and get a better filter. this way, you can change his water every other week and even 50%.. i would also look at getting him a better food to eat. some are a little more expensive, but they last longer because they feed better where it concerns nutrition and in between, you could feed fresh steamed veggies.

i would like to see the bump under better lighting, please. 

• Supporter

as far as the treatment for bacteria cysts go, there aren't any. pristine water is what is needed and once it/they pop, it's usual that we keep the site clean by adding either aquarium salt at 0.1% or melafix. the fish will usually heal itself, but sometimes the wound can be left raw and bleeding a little, depending on the size of the cyst.

would you recommend the salt or melafix? i have melafix but ive had it for some years do you think its still ok to use, i never used it, maybe just once so its full.

Here is another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nskMmsa3FUM&feature=youtu.be

will the bump go down once i treat him, i really thought it was a tumor just the way it sticks out, you probably cant tll much on the video, unfortunately i have crappy lighting in my house in general

thanks for the quick response btw!

• Supporter

is there more than one protrusion? not that it's impossible to have more than one bacteria cyst. i have a fish who suffered multiple cysts on two occasions and that was due to a badly maintained environment.

if this problem has presented suddenly, i don't believe that we're dealing with a tumor. yes, the lighting is crappy, i wonder if you are able to remove the fish using a comfortable size container and bring that container to better light. (ie, you do not need to handle the fish by hand, you can just scoop the fish up in a container of tank water and replace the fish back into the tank the same way) before recommending any treatment, we need to be sure what it is that we are seeing.

i also notice stringy poop, this too can be signs of internal bacteria, constipation, low quality feeds or stress.

[*]hes on a 10 gal tank, i used to have him in a 27 gal but because of all the water changes i couldnt keep him in it anymore it was costing me alot of $$ on my water bill

Just trying to give some perspective on water amounts and prices:

Unless you're using RODI or distilled water (and if you don't know, you're not) 27 gallons a day is not much at all.

* A ten minute shower uses about 27 gallons of water with water efficient shower heads.

* Flushing the average water conserving toilet uses 1.6 gallons per flush. Old toilets use double that.

* I live in a desert, and my water prices is about $2.27 per thousand gallons. This works out to about $0.002 per 27 gallon water change. A 100% change every day would cost about six cents per month.

* Lookup the price per gallon/liter of your city's water and do the math. It's probably so cheap it's better to worry about the fish than the cost of the water.

I totally get wanting to conserve water - I live in a desert. I 'dump' my old tank water into my lawn & garden during the growing season, and use it to wash my cars.

Water changes in your 27 gallon aquarium will barely make a dent in your water use. Humans use a ton.

Edited by troy.telford

[*]hes on a 10 gal tank, i used to have him in a 27 gal but because of all the water changes i couldnt keep him in it anymore it was costing me alot of $$ on my water bill

Just trying to give some perspective on water amounts and prices:

Unless you're using RODI or distilled water (and if you don't know, you're not) 27 gallons a day is not much at all.

* A ten minute shower uses about 27 gallons of water with water efficient shower heads.

* Flushing the average water conserving toilet uses 1.6 gallons per flush. Old toilets use double that.

* I live in a desert, and my water prices is about $2.27 per thousand gallons. This works out to about $0.002 per 27 gallon water change. A 100% change every day would cost about six cents per month.

* Lookup the price per gallon/liter of your city's water and do the math. It's probably so cheap it's better to worry about the fish than the cost of the water.

I totally get wanting to conserve water - I live in a desert. I 'dump' my old tank water into my lawn & garden during the growing season, and use it to wash my cars.

Water changes in your 27 gallon aquarium will barely make a dent in your water use. Humans use a ton.

its not so much the water use, its the sewer use. My bill comes out to $300 every 3 months and the majority is not the water its literally the sewage/pipe use. I live in washington dc so its more expensive then the average state.which sucks, i just want to find somethin even its temporarily until i can get my 27 gal back. i also have to factor in the electricity. with the 27 gal i use two filters since its a bigger tank.I know it doesnt seem like it would affect much but it really does with all the electricity i use too connecting my filters, the air bubbles etc. Im willing to get my 27 gal back but at the moment I cant because its in my backtard and its covered with ice so i cant bring it in alone since im a small girl lol.

i was wondering if in the mean time i should use melafix?

and also i dont see cyst in his body it just looks like his scales are deteriorating and he has cotton like substance in that side of his body, I would like to add the melafix but if salt is better i would do that too. i just want to make sure the melafix wont hurt him

Any discussion on food would be better in the 'food' section here at koko's than in the diagnosis & treatment section.

Big reason: food selection isn't really a disease, and users are not s'posed to give out advise; only encouragement in this section. Only moderators should recommend treatment.

The moderator (Helen) asked you for some better pictures, if possible. It's a royal pain, and fish have a tendency to do exactly what you don't want... But it's invaluable information. Nobody likes working without enough information.

Pictures are nearly free, and will really help the moderators help you.

Edited by troy.telford

is there more than one protrusion? not that it's impossible to have more than one bacteria cyst. i have a fish who suffered multiple cysts on two occasions and that was due to a badly maintained environment.

if this problem has presented suddenly, i don't believe that we're dealing with a tumor. yes, the lighting is crappy, i wonder if you are able to remove the fish using a comfortable size container and bring that container to better light. (ie, you do not need to handle the fish by hand, you can just scoop the fish up in a container of tank water and replace the fish back into the tank the same way) before recommending any treatment, we need to be sure what it is that we are seeing.

i also notice stringy poop, this too can be signs of internal bacteria, constipation, low quality feeds or stress.

ive posted the better lighting if you stillneed more let me know i will try hes so difficult to keep still

• Supporter

it could still very well be bacteria cyst... but, i see a little more infection than we'd like and we should start treating. what meds do you have or can you get?

Kanaplex

Metronidazole

anything with anit bacteria?

i actually have Metronidazole but for humans lol i dont know if i can use that on him or not

on hand for fish i have meracyn not sure if I or II and I have melafix too

i ran out of salt ill have to go get some on thursday bc im at work and school all day tomorrow, itll be closed by the time i get out

could you also find out which maracyn product you have, as well as the expiry date and when it was last used?

also im noticing today that his eyes are bulging out ALOT more they are literally out of his head and his scales are getting more cottonish

• Admin

Ok I would like so suggest since you only have a 10 gallon and you have all that Gravel and Fake ornaments in there its taking up water space making the tank less that 10 gallons..

I would ask you start take some out slowly.. Cysts normally mean there is something wrong with the water quality hun.... So if we can fix the main issue we can try and get this fixed. :)

Ok I would like so suggest since you only have a 10 gallon and you have all that Gravel and Fake ornaments in there its taking up water space making the tank less that 10 gallons..

I would ask you start take some out slowly.. Cysts normally mean there is something wrong with the water quality hun.... So if we can fix the main issue we can try and get this fixed. :)

ok great so I shoudlnt have any ornaments? I only have the one bigger house cuz in case h eer wants to hide in there but i will take the gravel out today,

also should i be giving him aything right now? i only have melafix

• Admin

ok great so I shoudlnt have any ornaments? I only have the one bigger house cuz in case h eer wants to hide in there but i will take the gravel out today,

also should i be giving him aything right now? i only have melafix

right now if you can Mannings canning salt or aquarium salt....on hand?