GH: 15

AM: 0

NITRATE: Between 10-20

NITRITE: 0

TEMP:  78F

TANK SIZE:  55G

INHABITANTS:  

4 fish total:

2 very small juvenile GF, 1 moor and another Telescope.

2 quite large female GF:  1 Red Oranda and 1 Orange Ryukin (both about 2 years old)

FILTERS:

1 hang on the back '50 gal sized' filter

1 Lg 402 Fluval cannister filter

1 large sponge filter with power head (pointed against wall to minimize tank disturbance)

1 medium sized bio wheel filter

MAINTENANCE:  50 GAL WEEKLY WATER CHANGES (Occasionally I will do 2 33% water changes in one week).  All filters are squeezed out in old aquarium water.  Bottom, with very large river stones is vacuumed.

FOOD:  Frozen brine shrimp, daphnia, some veggie dry (small) pellets, spirulina flakes, veggie based gel food

Problem:

This weekend I noticed one anchor worm on my large Oranda- she was swimming normally with it.  I used forceps and pull the worm off (right behind her back fin).  Now, 2 days later, I am noticing that both of my large goldies (the Ryukin and Oranda) are sitting on the bottom of the tank (cutely always by each other) with their dorsal fins sagging and both looking sad.  I notice too that they occasionally seem agitated like they have an itch- but cannot see any parasites or other worms.

Coloration is very normal (healthy), they eat when offered food, and are only active if I am in the room and interact with them.  I do not see any white spots, additional anchor worms or anything outwardly weird.

I am very concerned as this is not their normal behavior.  As a precaution I have the tank at 2.5 salinity (2.5 tsp per gal of salt) and plan on raising it to 3.0 (3 tsp per gal) tonight.  I've also done 2 Methylene Blue dips at 1 tsp per 5 gal (double the standard tank medicating dose) the last two days using existing tank water. This has resulted in daily water changes of about 15%.

I did feed the goldies split pees and found large, very green portions of feces upon vacuuming the tank- the next day- so I am making the assumption this is not constipation.  Last night I also fed bits of raw garlic to fight off any parasitic issues- which was readily eaten.

Any insight as to what is causing this i would be most helpful--- heading the AQ store to get more salt...ugh.

Thanks!

I'd suggest getting some canning and pickling salt from the grocery store instead of overpriced aquarium salt. A 2lb box of Morton's C&P costs less than 3 bucks and lasts forever. Any salt without additives or anti-caking agents is fine, but the Morton's Canning Salt is cheapest.

(Plus, you can use less of it. 3/4 tsp / gallon instead of 1 to achieve proper salinity since it's a really fine salt)

I hope things go well for you and your fish.

Edited by ChelseaM

Have you ever treated for flukes?  How long have you had the 2 small fish?

I'd suggest getting some canning and pickling salt from the grocery store instead of overpriced aquarium salt. A 2lb box of Morton's C&P costs less than 3 bucks and lasts forever. Any salt without additives or anti-caking agents is fine, but the Morton's Canning Salt is cheapest.

$0.58/lb for pickling salt, vs the $0.66/lb for the API Aquarium salt at my LFS.

The aquarium salt is more expensive, but that extra quarter may well be worth it for someone uneasy with grabbing something not 'made for aquariums'

Or someone who just didn't want to stop at two stores instead of one.

Either way: listen to to the moderator's advice - even in the unlikely event it includes standing on the kitchen table and clucking like a chicken. They know what they're doing, and have helped a lot of fish.

Edited by troy.telford

I am treating for flukes/parasites now with an API General Cure for Parasites- a Prazi Metronidazole combo.  I have had the two smaller fish for 3 weeks now- I think they brought whatever it is in- $6 fish but came with a much higher price tag in the long run.  Should have quarantined them and have learned the hard way.  I am hoping this treatment works- guess I will know in a few days.....

I hope your goldfish feel better pretty soon. :)

Should have quarantined them and have learned the hard way.

That line is oddly reminiscent of 'Hi, my name's Troy, and I'm a <insert problem here>'.

Welcome to the support group, where we all can share how bad we are at keeping fish. My goal is to just suck less from one week to the next.

The moderators are considerably more skilled and experienced than I.

I'm hoping one day, I'll do a water change without needing towels. On that day, I imagine there will be a chorus of zombies moaning hallelujah.

I hope your fish get better soon.

Edited by troy.telford

General Cure is great for treating when it's the only thing you can find. The problem is that the boxes are so small, so a 55g tank doesn't get more than two treatments from it.

If you can find Metroplex (metronidazole) by Seachem and Prazi Pro made by Hikari or the powdered version called Aqua Prazi/Pond Prazi, that would be much easier to do a full treatment for your tank without needing to run out for more powdered packets of General Cure.

Metronidazole is effective and worth having on hand in case a secondary infection forms. If you can find Kanaplex (Kanamycin) by Seachem, its also great for having in an "Emergency Kit", if you happen to have the spare money for it. :D

The Prazi Pro is a liquid which only requires one capful for 20 gallons, making it a much more efficient treatment for the suggested four week course of a tank's first deworming treatment.

You could be continuing treatment with both, but I would wait to see signs of infection before treating with an antibiotic any further, :)

It sounds like you have very good fish keeping habits and I hope they feel better soon.

Here is the link to the Praziquantel dosing schedule. It is a very very gentle medication and worth doing this for their health, especially since you have concerns of parasite infestations.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

If you have the time, videos or photos of their behaviour throughout the treatment would be very helpful. :heart

Edited by Chai

OK here is my update.  My Goldfish have a bad case of Anchor Worms, not flukes as I had mentioned before- so I've lost some time here.  When I have successfully treated them (Staying positive here) I will start a new post and state my findings, on how it was that I got rid of these Anchor Worms.  There is very little specific information online - and being that I got this parasite from Pet Co goldfish- I am sure other people will soon be having the same issue. 

Some key things I've noticed- that got me confused as to what it was I was dealing with:

Anchor Worms lodge not only on the outside of the fish- but also in the gills and inside the mouth! (I've observed this)  So based on my own experience,,, if you see one in the aquarium simply removing that one worm may not take care of the issue.  You may have them multiplying in areas that you cannot observe.

-My fish sit on the bottom and are lethargic- similar symptoms to flukes.  I was misdiagnosing based on that symptom.

-Fluke medicine (Prazi) or the (API Parasite Guard) will not take address Anchor Worms

-This particular strain seems to be salt resistant- I am at 3.0 (about 3tsp/gal) with no change

-I've done several meth blue dips- also to no avail

-Pot Perm dip done on Sunday.  Was nervous and did this for 30 minutes- did not see a noticable change.

-Right now I am treating with Minn Finn, a Peracetic acid based medication that is left in the tank for 30 min (up to an hour if the fish can handle it) with a neutralizing solution to clear the medication at the end of the treatment period.  It states it will control Anchor Worms in 2-3 treatments.  I just got done with the first treatment- and did see some dead worms being spit out of the fishs' mouths and gills.  So I am hoping this works!- if not I will try the Pot Perm (atom bomb) I picked up this weekend.

My tank's bio filter has been vaporized- luckily I have an extra filter on another tank that will help me cycle back up.  Right now I am adding Prime on a daily basis to control ammonia and doing 50% water changes.

Thanks for any insights you have- I will try and provide my own pending a successful outcome!

Thank you! I will order this now so I have it as the next option!

I am not sure if the attached worms to my fish are dead, or alive. They pull out quite easily which makes me hope and believe that the worms are dead and are just attached to the fish.

3 tsp per gallon is 0.3%, not 3.0% :peeka

3.0% is used for salt dips that are generally for 5 minutes. They are great for pesky parasites prior to or during treatment, but I don't think it will do anything for the anchor worms. :(

Best of luck. I hope it works out.

:hug