How to sterilize a large number of plants?

bagh

After a total annihilation of fishes in my 123 Gallon aquarium, caused by some lethal and resistant variety of ich, I am trying to start everything over again. I'm sure the ich was brought down to my tank by some plants that I bought at a fish store that also witnessed complete destruction of goldfishes and some others by ich, a few days after I got the plants from them.

I soaked the plants in 1.5% Hydrogen Peroxide solution (some call it 'bleach') for 10 minutes. Probably it wasn't enough. Since the plants were exotic, I couldn't risk it some time or concentration more.

So this time, I'll have to be extremely careful about the sterilization of plants.

Yesterday, I got lots of of this plant to start with. Not sure about the name or variety. Could you please help on this?

But the problem is that to sterilize all these plants properly, I'll need at least 15 litres of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide, which would set me back by an equivalent of 40 USD. Potassium Permanganate and Methylene Blue destroy and dye the plants.

Can you help me out on how to sterilize in a fool-proof manner, yet keeping costs affordable?

Oh, and what's the plant's variety? The store owner says it's called Bangkok-Amazon (LMAO). :P

DSCN9781_zpspczv1m2z.jpg

Potassium Permanganate is actually quite gentle, and very easy to use. If they're more delicate plants, I'd definitely go that route.

This. When used right it is very gentle. The dying would probably go away as it grows if you can stand it for a bit.

Potassium Permanganate is actually quite gentle, and very easy to use. If they're more delicate plants, I'd definitely go that route.

This. When used right it is very gentle. The dying would probably go away as it grows if you can stand it for a bit.

Thank you very much for the reassurance! Could you please tell me how much Potassium Permanganate I need?

I use 2 grams of PP mixed with 25 grams of water to make a stock solution, which has lasted me for years.  Whenever I need to do a PP bath for any reason, I use 2ml per 10 gallons to make a 4ppm bath, which is very safe for your plants.

A less precise, but still okay way to do it is to sprinkle the PP into the water until it's a nice bright purple, but still "see-through".

I'm sure others will share how they do things, and I hope you have success. :)

A note to keep in mind:  Prime will deactivate the PP, so you need to use water that has not been primed!  You can let your fresh water sit for 24 hours in a bucket with an airstone.

Also, let the plants soak for four hours.  I've fallen asleep with them in there overnight, and the plants were still okay. :)

Edited by yafashelli

I use 2 grams of PP mixed with 25 grams of water to make a stock solution, which has lasted me for years.  Whenever I need to do a PP bath for any reason, I use 2ml per 10 gallons to make a 4ppm bath, which is very safe for your plants.

A less precise, but still okay way to do it is to sprinkle the PP into the water until it's a nice bright purple, but still "see-through".

I'm sure others will share how they do things, and I hope you have success. :)

A note to keep in mind:  Prime will deactivate the PP, so you need to use water that has not been primed!  You can let your fresh water sit for 24 hours in a bucket with an airstone.

Also, let the plants soak for four hours.  I've fallen asleep with them in there overnight, and the plants were still okay. :)

WOW! That was a gold mine of information! Pure gold! Thanks a bunch for it!

As for the prime, here the water is not chlorinated, and we skip Prime. :) So we're in to follow your steps! :D Thanks a million!

I used the sprinkle method and my vals were still happy after the dip. :) If you are super worried I'd use the measuring method which I'll probably do next time :P

I used the sprinkle method and my vals were still happy after the dip. :) If you are super worried I'd use the measuring method which I'll probably do next time :P

The sprinkle method? Could you please explain it? :)

EDIT: Oh now I get it.

"but still okay way to do it is to sprinkle the PP into the water until it's a nice bright purple, but still "see-through" -YS

Right! I guess I'll have to do the sprinkle method. I have no precision weighing scale. ;)

Edited by bagho