Genetic mouth issue

Kayla102968

One of the two smallest fry I brought in from the pond always looked like it had a strange shaped mouth.  Since he was so small and moved around so quickly it was impossible to see exactly what was wrong.  Now that he is a bit larger it appears that it only opens on one side.  He has been prazi'd 2 times (only as a precaution) and has never appeared distressed or unwell other than he is one of the smaller fry.  Do I have to worry that as he grows the mouth space will get smaller?  I try to get a photo or video of it, but unless he has his mouth open and is facing the front, it is impossible to see.  He moves so quickly and chews so quickly...it is hard to get a good view/picture/video of it.

If it grows to be a bigger issue AND is genetic, you can't do much of anything in regards to repair. Usually fry with deformities are culled early so they do not suffer a fate like this later on.

If nothing changes, then you just have a slightly special fish who will most likely live happily among others.

Chai - That is the hard thing about having fry in a large pond, it is hard to notice small problems in a small, fast fry :).  Hopefully, it's mouth will grow open more as he grows.  I read somewhere that feeding fry hard food can sometimes cause the mouth to fuse if they injure it on hard food and then it heals shut.  He grew up in the pond, so mostly he ate what was available in the pond and baby brine shrimp.  It is what it is I suppose...we'll see how it goes.  I did capture it on video but you have to look very closely and quickly at around the 1:10 mark.  I also have a very blurred photo. 

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_2785_zps0ef3771c.jpg

• Supporter

you could leave it like that and see how it works out.. but if it starts struggling, ie, finds it difficult to eat, growing at a lesser rate than the other fish etc.. i would probably look at a very mild procedure. if the structure of the mouth is there, but is beginning to fuse more, a mild sedation and a quick run of a scalpel may correct the situation.

you could leave it like that and see how it works out.. but if it starts struggling, ie, finds it difficult to eat, growing at a lesser rate than the other fish etc.. i would probably look at a very mild procedure. if the structure of the mouth is there, but is beginning to fuse more, a mild sedation and a quick run of a scalpel may correct the situation.

It's hard to tell what exactly is wrong with the mouth.  I'm not sure if one side is just fused or if his mouth is just 'shifted' to one side and smaller (not formed properly).  I'll keep a close eye on him.  I'd worry that if I opened it up more, that when it healed it would heal shut again.  I wonder how they prevent the two edges from healing together?  He eats well now and has actually gotten bigger than his 'twin' that I brought in with him from the pond.  Hopefully it won't be a problem for him in the future.  Thanks Helen :)

As long as he can eat it shouldn't be an issue. I have a few fish with pinched mouths, and while some can be caused by high fluke infestation when young just as many are just plain developmental deformities. Just keep it well fed and happy, you can always feed smaller pellets or small bits of gelfood if it shows signs of trouble eating.

My goldfish Dreamsicle has a small crooked mouth that is mostly on the right side of his face. I didn't realize that when I bought him as a little fish, I noticed it shortly after I put him in the QT tank for Prazi treatments. These pictures are from when he was smaller. I've had him for about 7 months now. He is still small but now that he is getting bigger his mouth continues to grow with him.  His mouth is still crooked and is still small in caparison to my other Goldie's mouths but he eats just fine still ;)

102_24892.jpg

Dreamsicle8.jpg

I really hope your little fry continues to do OK like my Fish Dreamsicle. :thumbs:

Edited by Fish Of Gold

I really admire that itty bitty fish, Kayla! what a cute little thing. :heart

Dreamsicles face is so derpy cute, glad its doing well with you. :wub: