Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Paradigm fish food?

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/ParadigmFoods.html

I asked this in another thread but it probably deserve it's own topic. What do we think of this brand? The ingredients look excellent in all the mixes, but I'm not finding a ton of reviews on it. I'm planning on ordering the carnivore and herbivore blends to test it out, however if anyone has tried it I'd love to hear opinions :)

The ingredients look to be very good but I can already see the mess this would make in my head...

Maybe if it was right before a water change or I managed to cut the pieces to mouth-sized :idont

edit: Noticed that shrimp meal is the first ingredient.

When a "meal" is used, it's all of the parts we don't eat or can't eat, ground up and used as a source of nutrition. While it still contains many beneficial nutrients, it's not quite what I want to feed, but it seems hard to find foods using whole fish like NLS. :peeka

Edited by Chai

I seen positive reviews on this food when I looked the name up online and read an a few fish forums that their fish like it and are doing good on this food. I think that they were reviews on the Cichlid and Catfish kind of the Paradigm foods. I also watched fish eating these foods on Youtube from the company. I haven't seen any reviews for goldfish yet.

One person said his fish love it but food particles were scattered into the water column when the fish chewed on it.

Looks like a great food though. I seen it for sale on some online pet stores tonight. Also the company says they sell up to 3 sample size bags any variety for $9.00 I believe.

One person said his fish love it but food particles were scattered into the water column when the fish chewed on it.

Just what I thought! :rofl3

I love trying new foods, but already trying three new ones right now. :hide:

Found this quote by one of their representatives on another fish forum:

we offer a Paradigm Sampler where you get to choose 3 different types and you get 3oz of each type (so 9 oz total) and it costs only $9. It is like a wafer. Its thin and flat. We have 5 different varieties: Carnivore, Herbivore, Omnivore, Grow, and Skinny Shrimp.

Edited by Chai

When a "meal" is used, it's all of the parts we don't eat or can't eat, ground up and used as a source of nutrition. While it still contains many beneficial nutrients, it's not quite what I want to feed, but it seems hard to find foods using whole fish like NLS. :peeka

Actually, meal is GOOD if it's the first ingredient! Meal is just meat, but dehydrated. It's not byproducts (which is the unsuitable-for-human-consumption stuff). And if it's listed first, there's actually MORE of it by volume than there would be if it just was listed as "shrimp."

If it's listed as, say, "shrimp" or "cod, " that means meat that's still hydrated, which weighs more than dehydrated (meal). They're counting the water weight as volume. But if it says meal, they're not counting the water weight, and it therefore contains more meat. See what I'm getting at?

Meal is good, not bad. It's not byproducts.

I got brave an ordered the herbivore mix, will report back with results. I wanted the omnivore blend but they are out of stock for a few weeks. Anyone else heard reviews about it?

I'm also trying the Aquamaster and Sanyu goldfish formulas - I'll be interested to see how these compare to Hikaru/NLS/Omega One since they don't seem to be as popular but contain solid ingredients. It still looks like Paradigm has them beat on quality sourcing, but it also costs double!

Actually, meal is GOOD if it's the first ingredient! Meal is just meat, but dehydrated. It's not byproducts (which is the unsuitable-for-human-consumption stuff). And if it's listed first, there's actually MORE of it by volume than there would be if it just was listed as "shrimp."

If it's listed as, say, "shrimp" or "cod, " that means meat that's still hydrated, which weighs more than dehydrated (meal). They're counting the water weight as volume. But if it says meal, they're not counting the water weight, and it therefore contains more meat. See what I'm getting at?

Meal is good, not bad. It's not byproducts.

Shrimp meal, when it comes to fish food, is not made from whole good shrimp. It is the waste and byproduct. If they said whole shrimp, you'd be right to say it is the best. However, it is the processing waste from the shrimp industry. ( i.e. Heads, shells, unpalatable meat, etc. ) Shrimp meal is an ingredient often touted for high protein, however a portion of that protein is chitin. Chitin is not easily digestible for most organisms. With fish, shrimp meal is used to produce better red coloration and be a filler for food. 

Edited by ChelseaM

Never knew there were so many different brands of goldfish food, I've always stuck with my NLS brand for all my fish. :) After reading all these posts though, I might have to switch it up and try some new stuff. :) Looking forward to reading all the reviews!

Edited by kehresmann

Just seen that they also sell Paradigm Grow, for baby fish fry.

"Grow is a fry food recommended for use up to first 8 weeks of life. 
It is also beneficial in helping the females fatten up in between spawning and helps promote breeding."

Never knew there were so many different brands of goldfish food, I've always stuck with my NLS brand for all my fish. :) After reading all these posts though, I might have to switch it up and try some new stuff. :) Looking forward to reading all the reviews!

Something that the people on Koko's have found is that you can pretty much disregard if a food is branded as being goldfish food, and go with whatever has the best ingredients for the fish, as well as the best nutrient profile.

Shrimp meal, when it comes to fish food, is not made from whole good shrimp. It is the waste and byproduct. If they said whole shrimp, you'd be right to say it is the best. However, it is the processing waste from the shrimp industry. ( i.e. Heads, shells, unpalatable meat, etc. ) Shrimp meal is an ingredient often touted for high protein, however a portion of that protein is chitin. Chitin is not easily digestible for most organisms. With fish, shrimp meal is used to produce better red coloration and be a filler for food.

Ohhhhhh, it's different for shrimp then. Meal is GOOD for dog foods, when it's turkey or chicken or beef or duck or venison or cod or what have you, and I just assumed. Dog foods don't contain shrimp. ;)

Well, you know what they say about assumptions... :peeka

Found this article on the different types of Fish Meals

FISH FOOD SOURCES:

wholefish.jpgFish meal has been widely used as a protein source for many years for fish.

High quality whole fishmeal provides a balanced amount of all essential amino acids, phospholipids, and fatty acids for optimum development, growth, and reproduction, especially of larvae and brood stock.
The nutrients in fishmeal (such as Omega 3 fatty acids) also aid in disease resistance by boosting and helping to maintain a healthy functional immune system.

Two basic types of fish meal are produced;

(1) Fish Meal from left over parts:
Produced from fishery waste (salmon, tuna, etc.) that are associated with the processing of various edible human fishery products and this fishmeal is rendered from fish offal, trimmings or cuttings, and other wastes principally from filleting and canning operations from the edible fisheries (e.g., tuna, cod, haddock, hake, pollock).
In addition to being a by-product of human fish production it is also a by-product associated with Omega 3 fish oil production, which is where many commercial fish foods obtain fish meal from, thus loosing an important natural nutrient; Fish Oil (with Omaga 3).

Unfortunately many if not MOST of the major fish food brands use this poor source of nutrition rather than the vastly superior whole fish meal.

(2) Whole Fishmeal:
When specific fish (Herring, Menhaden, Anchovies, Hakes, Jacks, Pollack, etc.) are harvested just for the purpose to produce fish meal. The fish can be dried directly drying or cooking prior to drying and oil extracted.
Most of these fish are small, bony, with high content of oil (especially the important Omega 3 discussed in the “Fats” section), and considered of little edible use for humans (e.g., anchovies, herrings, capelin, menhaden).

Fish that are only used for the production of fish meal are the best source, listed on ingredients as “Whole Fish Meal”, “White Fish Meal”, or the best: “Whole Menhaden Fish Meal”.
Fishmeal of high quality provides a balanced amount of all essential amino acids, phospholipids, and fatty acids (Omega 3, DHA or docosahexaenoic acid and EPA or eicosapentaenoic acid) for optimum development, growth, and reproduction, especially of larvae and brood stock.
The nutrients in whole fishmeal also aid in disease resistance by boosting and helping to maintain a healthy functional immune system.

Most plant-based proteins (with the exception of Spirulina, which is not actually a plant or even a true algae), even when properly processed, are usually not as digestible as fishmeal; and their inclusion rate into the diet is often limited as it results in depressed growth rates and feed intake.
Over-all protein digestibility values for premium fishmeals are consistently above 92%.
In comparison protein digestibility for many plant-based proteins varies greatly, for example, from 77% to 96%, depending on the species of plant.

Whole Fish Meal is an excellent source of DL-methionine which along with some fats such as the VERY important Omega 3 fatty acid is important to large head growth in certain cichlids and Orandas/Lionhead goldfish.
As noted earlier, unfortunately many leading brands of fish food use only bi-products or low quality Fish Meal which is not complete.

Whole Fish Meal averages between 17% and 25% ash content.
More ash indicates a higher mineral content, especially calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Calcium and phosphorus constitute the majority of the ash found in fishmeal.
This makes Whole Fishmeal an important source of very essential minerals that fish need for osmoregulation.
Reference: Aquarium Answers, Osmotic Regulation in Fish

Fishmeal also contains certain compounds that make the fish food more acceptable and agreeable to the taste (palatable). This property allows for the feed to be ingested rapidly, and will reduce nutrient leaching. It is thought the non-essential amino acid glutamic acid is one of the compounds that imparts to fishmeal its palatability.

Use of high quality fish meal as a percentage of processed/prepared foods ranges from 5-7% for koi and goldfish, and up to 40% to 55% for high protein tropical fish, trout, salmon, and some marine fishes diets.
Unfortunately the cost of high-quality whole fishmeal (65% protein) is 2.0 to 3.5 times the price of soybean meal so its use is often low as compared to soybean meal or lower quality fishmeal in low end fish foods (which make up the more popular brands too).

Further reading for Fish Meal (resource)
Fish Meal in Aquaculture Diets; University of Florida

Ohhhhhh, it's different for shrimp then. Meal is GOOD for dog foods, when it's turkey or chicken or beef or duck or venison or cod or what have you, and I just assumed. Dog foods don't contain shrimp.  ;)

Well, you know what they say about assumptions...  :peeka

It's the same with all of those foods too, though. You don't want 'xxx meal', you instead want it to say 'whole xxx' or 'whole xxx meal.' That ensures that you have a better quality, in the same way you would ensure that the animal is mentioned. (Ex. "animal meal" vs. "beef meal" with Beef being better since it's been identified, and whole beef meal being better still.)

Thank you for that article, Fishy. :heart

Something that the people on Koko's have found is that you can pretty much disregard if a food is branded as being goldfish food, and go with whatever has the best ingredients for the fish, as well as the best nutrient profile.

Ahhh, I see! I guess I have never really looked at any other varieties of pellet besides ones labeled specifically for goldfish, I'll have to start browsing around more. :)

Edited by kehresmann

Ahhh, I see! I guess I have never really looked at any other varieties of pellet besides ones labeled specifically for goldfish, I'll have to start browsing around more. :)

If you're still wanting to stay with NLS, Thera+A is a good one from their line for goldfish. Another good food from them just came out recently: Algae Gel. Couple that with frozen bloodworms and you have a really good complete diet high in aquatic plant sources instead of terrestrial plant sources, as well as one of the 'perfect' goldfish protein sources (the worms).

Chelsea, not sure why you avoid the Newlife Spectrum Nutrigel.

It just seems to have the plant and protein in one food.

Do you feel there is too much protein in it?

If so, do you weigh your bloodworms when feeding them to your fish to balance the lack of protein in the Algae mix?

Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill, Whole Fish, Agar, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Chorella Algae, Omega-3 Fatty Acid, Ulva & Red Seaweed, Kelp, Mollusks, Garlic, Alfalfa Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12

Crude Protein (min) - 50%
Crude Fat (min) - 9%
Crude Fiber (max) - 5%
Moisture (max) - 10%
Ash (max) - 7%

Edited by Mr. Hyde

I can't speak for Chelsea, Hyde, but I would consider the Nutrigel as too high in protein for Newton.  Newton floated on Repashy and even has a little lightness in his get-along when fed Hikari Lionhead.  The NLS cichlid pellets are tolerated very well, being both very small and in the 30ish % range for protein.  

Marty had been getting the cichlid, but I started mixing it up with Lionhead pellets, which he loves and may be more appropriate to his stage of life.

I can't speak for Chelsea, Hyde, but I would consider the Nutrigel as too high in protein for Newton.  Newton floated on Repashy and even has a little lightness in his get-along when fed Hikari Lionhead.  The NLS cichlid pellets are tolerated very well, being both very small and in the 30ish % range for protein.  

Marty had been getting the cichlid, but I started mixing it up with Lionhead pellets, which he loves and may be more appropriate to his stage of life.

I was wondering if that was a bit high for goldfish, but not sure.

The weird thing is that I have fed foods with lower protein to my fish and it made them float immediately.

Repashey soilent green is at 45% protein, so I guess that's a bit much too.

For Newton, it was, although plenty of Forum fish do well on it.  Newton is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I suspect his protein needs/tolerances are reduced.

He does seem to tolerate some protein sources.  Egg white on Sunday is a favourite.

I try to stay away from the NutriGel because of the high animal protein, yes, but more because it is lower in the amount of plant matter that is necessary for goldfish. They digest aquatic plant matter the best, and therefore I like feeding them a generous amount of that. Plus, the combination of algae and bloodworms is more close to what they would eat in the pond outside, where they do their best growing and living. :) Right now I can't get ahold of bloodworms, so I am using a small amount of either Spawn and Grow or RedRum to give protein alongside the AlgaeGel. I'm trying to keep the amounts of animal protein less than that of plants.

Edited by ChelseaM

Never knew there were so many different brands of goldfish food, I've always stuck with my NLS brand for all my fish. :) After reading all these posts though, I might have to switch it up and try some new stuff. :) Looking forward to reading all the reviews!

I compiled a list here on kokos that shows the ingredients in different foods, and you'll see them repeated throughout all sorts of foods from varying brands that are targeted at specific types of fish.

There is generally nothing too specific that a type of fish needs. But when in doubt, you can ask or do a quick Google search. :)

Edited by Chai

You guys are nailing what I like about herbivore blend from Paradigm, at least on paper. High quality protein sources and high quality vegetable matter, but no grain and not overly high on protein. I found a thread between Carl and Clayn (Paradigm's mixologist of fishy food ;) ) relating to his initial formulations and tests and I can tell a ton of research and care went into it.

My package shipped today, so it should be here to try fairly soon!

You guys are nailing what I like about herbivore blend from Paradigm, at least on paper. High quality protein sources and high quality vegetable matter, but no grain and not overly high on protein. I found a thread between Carl and Clayn (Paradigm's mixologist of fishy food ;) ) relating to his initial formulations and tests and I can tell a ton of research and care went into it.

My package shipped today, so it should be here to try fairly soon!

Can I have a link to the thread? :)

Yes, but I won't be offended if Koko's deletes it, as it links to another fish forum (but is pertinent to the topic at hand):

http://everythingaquatic.proboards.com/thread/3770/

I don't want to violate the rules here and in not sure if this applies or not? Apologies if it does, but it is fascinating and I have immense respect for Carl Strohmeyer on many aquaria topics, so listening to him and Clayn was fascinating to me.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I believe links to other fish forums are allowed if they're educational. :)

Edited by Chai