20g with Betta: Stocking options

Morgan'sMiracles

I have always put in Cory catfishes with my Male Bettas. ;)

I had corycats before with my male betta, but I have a pleco already on the bottom level, and I want something really active. Thanks for the suggestion! I do love corys. :)

Cories are extremely active. If not cories, then you can try platies. My bettas never have a problem with platies, even though they are colorful. Plus, they aren't nippy (some of my guppies were). Some other good fish would be neon tetras or even a school of WCMMs (white cloud mountain minnows). My bettas never go after these guys and the WCMMs are very gorgeous and hardy. They also love to spawn and they don't eat their eggs or fry.

I say you could easily fit 10 neons or white clouds in the 20gL with its current stocking and still only require roughly a 25% weekly water change.

What other fish spark your interest?

I have White Clouds in with my group of 3 female Bettas and are getting along perfectly. (But right now the Bettas are in QT and I might get them a big tank of their own if they get better) I never tried White Clouds with any of my male Bettas before, but I guess it all depends on the personality of your Betta. Like my 4th Female Betta has to live in her own 5 gallon by herself seeing she fights with other Bettas and fish, she even fights her own reflection silly girl :rolleyes:

Cories are extremely active. If not cories, then you can try platies. My bettas never have a problem with platies, even though they are colorful. Plus, they aren't nippy (some of my guppies were). Some other good fish would be neon tetras or even a school of WCMMs (white cloud mountain minnows). My bettas never go after these guys and the WCMMs are very gorgeous and hardy. They also love to spawn and they don't eat their eggs or fry.

I say you could easily fit 10 neons or white clouds in the 20gL with its current stocking and still only require roughly a 25% weekly water change.

I really like danios, and tetras. Would any of them fit? I am actually seriously considering getting some neon/ Cardinal tetras to go in there. I'm not sure, though, as I've heard they can be very fragile due to over breeding. What is your take on this? As for the wcmm, my brother already has some and I don't want to copy :P

I really like danios, and tetras. Would any of them fit? I am actually seriously considering getting some neon/ Cardinal tetras to go in there. I'm not sure, though, as I've heard they can be very fragile due to over breeding. What is your take on this? As for the wcmm, my brother already has some and I don't want to copy :P

Ok, so no WCMMs. Danios are pretty active and I feel like my 55g isn't enough for mine. I would recommend neons or cardinals. I do agree that they are fragile, but it depends where you get them. I've gotten 8 from Petsmart and they've all died. I just recently got 4 from Petco (to add to my 2 year old neon straggler) and now there's only 3 left (of the ones from the store). I had 5 neons live over a year and then one live for almost 3 years from my lfs.

Basically, it's iffy anywhere you get neons, but I've had them live longer when they're from my lfs (non-commercial). I haven't bought cardinals yet, but I was thinking about setting up my 20gHM and having it for cardinals and RCS. Something new and different, right? hehe :P

Ok, so no WCMMs. Danios are pretty active and I feel like my 55g isn't enough for mine. I would recommend neons or cardinals. I do agree that they are fragile, but it depends where you get them. I've gotten 8 from Petsmart and they've all died. I just recently got 4 from Petco (to add to my 2 year old neon straggler) and now there's only 3 left (of the ones from the store). I had 5 neons live over a year and then one live for almost 3 years from my lfs.

Basically, it's iffy anywhere you get neons, but I've had them live longer when they're from my lfs (non-commercial). I haven't bought cardinals yet, but I was thinking about setting up my 20gHM and having it for cardinals and RCS. Something new and different, right? hehe :P

I have a nice little lfs within 20 min from my house that focuses on tropical fish. Mayhaps I'll pay them a visit and see about getting me a dozen or so little neons or cardinals. . .