Sign in to follow this  
ABB63

40g breeder vs 46g acrylic bow front

Hi all, I am going to upgrade to a larger tank for my 2 goldfish (1 Shabunkin, 1 common). I am looking at both a 40 gallon breeder And a really a stylish lighter weight acrylic bow front tank.

Does anyone have advise? Pros and cons to consider?

The general take is that acrylic is lighter, will not leak as easily, but scratches easier.  Glass is heavy, scratch resistant, and as leak resistant as its silicon.

How deep is the bowfront?  The reason we like the 40B is that it is shallower than most large tanks, with a large surface area.

I'd go for the glass, it's sturdier and will last for years.

It still scratches, but you need something super sharp and really put effort into doing it. And once it's scratched, it's there. I have a scratch on my 55g and haven't been able to even cover it up :-(

I've had too many acrylic tanks crack and break over the years, they warp from heaters, they warp more than glass from water pressure, they just seem too fragile for what they're used for.

It still scratches, but you need something super sharp and really put effort into doing it. And once it's scratched, it's there. I have a scratch on my 55g and haven't been able to even cover it up :-(

I've had too many acrylic tanks crack and break over the years, they warp from heaters, they warp more than glass from water pressure, they just seem too fragile for what they're used for.

Is it true they also yellow?

Is it true they also yellow?

I have acrylic on some picture frames (assuming same thing) that is 20 years old and hasn't yellowed.

I'd go for the 40b mainly because of the surface area and swimming room for the goldies.

I looked up the measurements of a couple different brands of a 46 gallon acrylic bow front tanks. It says 36" L x 16.25" W x 20" H  for the bow fronts compared to a 40 gallon Breeder tank that measures 36" L x 18" W x 17" H.

If I had the choice I'd go for the glass 40 Breeder. I like glass better than acrylic because it is more scratch resistant than the less scratch resistant acrylic tanks. 40 breeders also seem more roomy for swimming. :goldfish::fishtank:   :goldfish:

Wow, thanks so much everyone.

Although the bowfront is pretty cool it is 20" tall so I'd be soaking myself every time I try to get to the bottom. Plus you are right about the 40g, it is 18" wide so more surface area and it's only 16" deep so cleaning will be easier.

I got info back on the 46g acrylic bowfronts. They told me the empty weight is 60 pounds and full of water it is 400 pounds. I think the 40g is 58 lbs empty and around 458 filled. I was expecting the empty acrylic to be lighter even though is 6 gallons more in size. Both tanks are 36" long.

40g breeder it is. I am getting excited to go big. Ha ha. I stil have time since my guys are only 3" long

That weight doesn't seem right to me for the acrylic tank.  :idont

Either way, I'd go for the 40B.  It's my fav tank size EVER!  :rofl3  Not to mention you can get it for $40 bucks at Petco's dollar per gallon sale! 

Take that, acrylic bowfront tank.  :rofl

The acrylic weight surprises me too.  Significantly lighter weight is the only reason I would get one (if I lived in a country where they existed)

I looked up the measurements of a couple different brands of a 46 gallon acrylic bow front tanks. It says 36" L x 16.25" W x 20" H  for the bow fronts compared to a 40 gallon Breeder tank that measures 36" L x 18" W x 17" H.

If I had the choice I'd go for the glass 40 Breeder. I like glass better than acrylic because it is more scratch resistant than the less scratch resistant acrylic tanks. 40 breeders also seem more roomy for swimming. :goldfish::fishtank:   :goldfish:

I'd go for the 40b also from the measurements you gave. They are nice tanks. :)

I would go with whichever tank you like the looks of best. The size difference is small enough to be pretty insignificant and I find the shape of the 40b to be very... Bland.  I've never looked at mine and gone "wow, that's nice".