Not enough light, or...?

Reds12

I have a 40B dirted with miracle grow organic choice potting soil and carib-sea eco complete both planted aquarium substrate and a thin top layer of cichlid substrate(only because I like the way it looks.)  I have a finnex fugeray 36" that runs for about 10 hours daily.  Natural, indirect sunlight for most of the day and No CO2.

Currently have anacharis, ludwigia, melon sword, water lillies, and micro sword. 

Everything in the tank is "surviving" but I'm not really seeing any growth.   

Any tips or suggestions?  

I bought the 40B at the beginning of the last $ per gallon sale, so when was that, first week january?  A couple of the plants I already had, a couple I bought when I set the tank up.  I was running a finnex stingray at first, this light was put on about 2 weeks ago.  You can see in the last 2 pictures specifically some wilting and leaf loss I noticed last night.  That part of the anacharis is directly in the stream of water flow, and that's the only part of the plant that seems to have any issues so I'm wondering if its that?

I have been dosing with seachem flourish according to directions.

Anacharis_zpsuqaxdvzn.jpg

1_zpsgi4pvvtz.jpg

2_zpskdwuymph.jpg

4_zps3n0wgdpk.jpg

3_zpsreombtef.jpg

Plants are resilient things. The lugwigia's crowns (growth at the top of the stem) seems to be okay sans the furled ones. The fact the repens is pink and not completely green would indicate to me that the fixture is working—with lower lighting levels and insufficient iron red plants do not stay red. Flourish can be dosed more regularly if you wish. Some use it every other day. I see tetras so I am assuming the bioload is fairly small. I would look at dosing a liquid carbon source like Flourish Excel. 

Water flow shouldn't be an issue. A lot of high tech planted tanks actually have as much filtration as we recommend on here for goldfish. I have a small nano tank with 16x filtration. At first I thought the current might have been an issue for such small fish and shrimp, but they don't really seem to mind.

I noticed your bacopa in the second photo is starting to get leggy. This is common with stem plants as older leaves die and fall off. What you can do is pull them out, trim the base off and replant the tops. 

Plants are resilient things. The lugwigia's crowns (growth at the top of the stem) seems to be okay sans the furled ones. The fact the repens is pink and not completely green would indicate to me that the fixture is working—with lower lighting levels and insufficient iron red plants do not stay red. Flourish can be dosed more regularly if you wish. Some use it every other day. I see tetras so I am assuming the bioload is fairly small. I would look at dosing a liquid carbon source like Flourish Excel. 

Water flow shouldn't be an issue. A lot of high tech planted tanks actually have as much filtration as we recommend on here for goldfish. I have a small nano tank with 16x filtration. At first I thought the current might have been an issue for such small fish and shrimp, but they don't really seem to mind.

I noticed your bacopa in the second photo is starting to get leggy. This is common with stem plants as older leaves die and fall off. What you can do is pull them out, trim the base off and replant the tops. 

That's great information, thank you!  There are 15 little tetras in there right now.  Do you think it would be a benefit to add more?

I'll pick up some excel and give that a shot and increase how often I'm dosing with flourish.  What are your thoughts on adding CO2 with these plants?  Sorry for all the questions, I've not really had more than a couple of plants in a tank at a time until this one so its all new to me.

Not unless you want more and stocking allows. Their bioload is minimal and it was more a case of me thinking aloud.

CO2 is an excellent addition and really allows one to grow a wider variety of plants, but I would not add it unless you do some reading first and are confident in yourself—there is a bit of a learning curve as far as injecting gas and fish are concerned. Learning how plants grow in low tech first and then moving on to a DIY mix with yeast and sugar water is a good way to go about things.

• 4 weeks later...

Not unless you want more and stocking allows. Their bioload is minimal and it was more a case of me thinking aloud.

CO2 is an excellent addition and really allows one to grow a wider variety of plants, but I would not add it unless you do some reading first and are confident in yourself—there is a bit of a learning curve as far as injecting gas and fish are concerned. Learning how plants grow in low tech first and then moving on to a DIY mix with yeast and sugar water is a good way to go about things.

Just wanted to say thanks for your help with this!  I took the advice on adding excel and dosed 3 times a week for about 2 weeks, and am now down to twice a week - one small dose, and one large dose when I change water.  I think things are looking pretty good!  This was right after pruning about 1/3 of the anacharis out to move into my goldfish tank.

neontank_zps5afo0wi6.jpg

Edited by Reds12

It looks absolutely lovely! You should be very proud. :)

When the stem plants start to look sparse because they've lost their lower leaves, you can cut the tops, pull the bottoms out and replant the tops. :)