Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Emergency! Syphon accident!

Oh NO! My husband is out of town and I was adjusting the Python myself, and my poor little Oranda was sucked in! Half his wen is just hanging off and I see a little raw flesh and some slight bleeding. What do I do for the poor guy?

Do I try and cut off the hanging wen? Leave him be? He looks AWFUL! I have a quarantine enclosure I can put him into so he can rest inside the tank, but I don't know if that would just stress him more.

He is swimming around but listing a bit to that side and a little... wobbly and slow. Shock, I'm assuming. I feel terrible :(

Poor Yoshi!

Leave him be. Clean aerated water with salt added in order to prevent infection should be enough for him to recover unless infection sets in. It happens to a lot of us, but it is very scary.

It happens.  Put him in a super clean QT tank with primed water and .1% salt.  Don't try to do anything about the hanging wen just let.  Let the tank be dark.  

What sort of medications do you have one hand?

As an example, one of my ranchu swam close to the siphon and the netting to cover it had been moved over by accident, exposing just a bit of the open siphon end. My ranchus eye was pulled completely from the socket, hanging loose.. it was awful and traumatic.

Somehow, the eye returned to its socket and normal position, although it has a cataract indicating she is blind in that eye. She suffers no long term effects, and I just used well aerated salted water, and time, to let her recover. The instinct is to meddle and "fix" the injury but the best way to go is to let it be.

I'm sorry this happened :hug please fill the form out the best you can. Just take some deep breaths :grouphug

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Please do add salt. If using aquarium salt, add it at 1 teaspoon per gallon. If using canning and pickling salt 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. Canning and pickling salt is the finer grained salt that has zero additives. The only infredientisted on the box is salt.

Edited by Mikey

Ooh yikes, I've never had wen incident with a syphon (had an accident involving an eye only), I'd definitely leave the wen, especially so soon after the accident.  I've dabbed plain Vaseline on wounds before but I'm not sure how appropriate it would be in this case.

I'm sorry this happened :hug please fill the form out the best you can. Just take some deep breaths :grouphug

running?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Please do add salt. If using aquarium salt, add it at 1 teaspoon per gallon. If using canning and pickling salt 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. Canning and pickling salt is the finer grained salt that has zero additives. The only infredientisted on the box is salt.

I dont see how this is relevant to a wen injury on an otherwise healthy fish.

I would advise not putting anything on the wen at all and i would advise not cutting the hanging part off.

running?

to know the levels of the water in the quarantine . . .

I have salt on hand, as well as metro meds, erythromycin, methylene blue, parasite guard by Tetra, and General Cure.

Tank is running about 75 degrees, I will add some salt and keep watching him. And sometime tonight my heart will back right out of my throat, but not yet apparently :(

And he had such a pretty wen, too. Stupid Python.

I would advise not putting anything on the wen at all and i would advise not cutting the hanging part off.

running?

If she is putting the fish in QT and using water conditioner the levels will be zero. I don't want to argue it just seems added stress when we clearly know what the issue is and how to treat it has already been responded to.

Let's not add any meds. Only clean water and .1% salt for now. Some pictures would very helpful so we can see what the injury looks like.

running?

If she is putting the fish in QT and using water conditioner the levels will be zero. I don't want to argue it just seems added stress when we clearly know what the issue is and how to treat it has already been responded to.
thats is not necessarily true. Many people on the forum have big changes in pH with their tap water as well as ammonia being in the water. Edited by Mikey

I appreciate everyone's quick responses, by the way. Thank you so much :)

Life has been busy and I haven't been visiting Koko's in the last few months, but I don't take for granted the helpfulness of all the regulars here. I always hope to never be in personal need of it, but I knew immediately where to go for input on this. That peace of mind is priceless.

:grouphug:

And sometime tonight my heart will back right out of my throat, but not yet apparently :(

And he had such a pretty wen, too. Stupid Python.

:C  I am familiar with that awful feeling of knowing I've hurt a pet.  Knowing it was an accident hardly helps.  Thinking of you and your little fish!

My tap water and tank water are pretty much identical in this tank, I have no appreciable differences in native nitrate or ammonia and the pH is not something I ever adjust. Upping the salinity is common sense and didn't even occur to me in my initial panic :)

I'm here with five kids aged seven and under right now and am trying to get everyone to bed, but I'll be watching closely over the next few days and update as needed if secondary complications show up.

Thank you again, everyone!

I feel terrible :(

sadhug.gif Here's hoping he heals quickly.

Throw us up a photograph when you get a chance.  It will help the moderators decide if additional treatment is needed.

Will do

I don't think you need to fill out the D&D questionnaire for this problem.  Just pristine water and 0.1% salt in a quarantine tank should be fine.  Make sure to test daily for ammonia and nitrite and use Prime and do water changes as necessary.  Watch for signs of infection and let us know if there is a problem :)

Yoshi made it through the night and his head is looking less raw. The downside of the water change is that it always makes the other two inhabitants a bit frisky and they're bumping into him quite a bit. I'm debating dropping a coffee mug or flower pot into the tank for a shelter but I doubt he'd use it.

Other than a little sinking and slow swimming, which isn't unusual for this fish, he appears to be in normal condition. Eating vigorously and swimming actively when I walk up to the tank.

Good to hear your fish is recovering.

Hope Yoshi bounces back to 100% soon.

I'm glad to hear your fish is doing better. I know how scary and horrible it can be when you have an accident like this. I had something similar happen to one of my fish last November when I was draining my tank to move it to a different spot in my apartment. I hope Yoshi makes a full recovery.  :hug

I think some advice has been confusing, but it is really important to get the injured fish out of the main tank and into a quarantine tank.  This can be a plastic storage box of about 10 gallons if you don't  have an aquarium of that size.  

Your nice clean main tank has many bacteria that are harmless to healthy fish, but quite able to infect an injury.   There is also the possibility that the other fish will get curious about the loose tissue and start nibbling on it.  

As social as goldfish are, when they are sick or injured they prefer to be alone.  Sometimes the first indication that a fish is unwell is that it isolates itself from tankmates.

My tap water and tank water are pretty much identical in this tank, I have no appreciable differences in native nitrate or ammonia and the pH is not something I ever adjust. Upping the salinity is common sense and didn't even occur to me in my initial panic :)

I'm here with five kids aged seven and under right now and am trying to get everyone to bed, but I'll be watching closely over the next few days and update as needed if secondary complications show up.

Thank you again, everyone!

God Bless you taking care of your fish needs and getting your 5 kids under the age of 7 to bed.  My mom had 4 kids (including me) and at our youngest we were: newborn, 14 months old, 23 1/2 months old, and 6 years old.  I don't know how my Mom took care of all of us and even raised all of us decent, but she did. hehehe :)

I'm sorry for what happened to your fish.  I hope your fish continues with getting better.