Plants growing roots...from about 6" above substrate?

LittleShadow

The plant that is growing the roots is the one I've circled in the picture.  I forget what it's called (I know the other ones, but not this one lol), but I do remember something about pinching the stalk off at a nub site and sticking it back in the dirt.  Is this what it needs since it's sprouting roots from some of the new top leaves, or will it be ok? It seems to be doing fine now. 

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag46/EmilyParkerCST/Iphone%20photos/itsgrowingroots_zps506dcc92.jpg

I just used a direct link to the picture, it told me I can't use an image or something along those lines.  It was just the URL to it. :/

It'll be okay as it is, if you want to keep it tall, or you can break off the new plant and put it in the substrate. That's all up to you. When I had pennywort I just let it grow and develop lots of these little root-points. It looked pretty, since they were all white.

I am not a plant guru but I would leave them as is unless they look displeasing. Exposed roots will clean ammonia etc from the water very efficiently.  Someone with more knowledge of plant health would have to chime in on what is actually better for the plant.

Cool.  I hadn't even noticed these until last night before I went to bed.  They're so fine you can barely see them from the front of the tank - I was actually looking at a couple of round blackish spots on the bottom of the new leaves when I finally noticed the roots lol.  From the sounds of it, I'll probably leave it as is then -  you can never have too many ammonia busters in a goldfish tank, and if it's good with the plant, that works for me =) 

Plus the water feels cool (It's at 70F), so I don't want to stick my arm in atm  >_>

My Hygro's do that all the time. I let them go until they get big, then trim off the "babies" and either toss them or replant them, depending on how healthy the parent plant looks.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprisingly, most of these plants have stayed about the same size.  I have seen new leaves grow on top, almost like how a poinsettia grows, but they haven't gotten much taller, just bushier on top.  The crypt has really grown outwards since I first got it, and the vals I recently bought already have two or three runners now - one's actually over 5" tall already!  And not to mention all the lily sprouts on the banana plants..I think I'm up to six now lol.  I wish fluorite did a sand substrate (it would look prettier and probably be easier on the fish), because this stuff has only done good things sine I got it :)