Sign in to follow this  
LadyK

Ammonia in tap water

Yay I just finished moving my fish to my apartment today :)

But there is ammonia present in the tap water and I used a dose a prime to set up the tank. I tested the water after an hour or so of the filters running and the ammonia still reads .50 ppm, which is what the tap water reads by itself.

So is the ammonia just not released for 24-48 hours? and if so does that mean I need to add in more prime after that time runs up, or does it actually break the ammonia down and I just need to dose every week with water changes?

Prime detoxifies ammonia but it will still show up when you test for it.  It is still present but in a nontoxic form.  If your tank is cycled, it should convert that ammonia over pretty quickly.  Test again 24 hours after you added the Prime.  Hopefully it will be gone.  If not, dose Prime again.  Your biofilter may just need a little time to take on the extra ammonia but it shouldn't take long.  :D

Apparently a cycled tank can process a minimum of 4 ppm ammonia per day so I would follow fantailfans advice on retesting after 24 and going from there.

Okay thanks guys! I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

How big is your tank?

My tank is 45 gallons with two fluval 406 canister filters, but one is fairly new.

Excellent filters. One suggestion to help cycle the new one faster is to take some cycle media from the older filter and put it in the newer filter.  You may already know that :)

Excellent filters. One suggestion to help cycle the new one faster is to take some cycle media from the older filter and put it in the newer filter.  You may already know that :)

Ohh great suggestion, I did not know that! Thanks  :D

Prime detoxifies ammonia but it will still show up when you test for it.  It is still present but in a nontoxic form.  If your tank is cycled, it should convert that ammonia over pretty quickly.  Test again 24 hours after you added the Prime.  Hopefully it will be gone.  If not, dose Prime again.  Your biofilter may just need a little time to take on the extra ammonia but it shouldn't take long.  :D

It has now been 24 hours and I tested the ammonia and still about .50 ppm, so I did another dose of prime.

Should I do the same thing if it reads the same in another 24 hours?

Also the fish have been just chilling at the bottom, so I am not sure if they are still stressed from moving or what.

They do swim around periodically, and are active for feedings but majority of the day are just resting next to each other.

Their dorsal fins are still straight up though and breathing doesn't seem to be abnormal or anything.

Test nitrite and pH.  Are their pelvic fins clamped?

Oh and jk my one fish who isn't as hardy has their dorsal fin slightly turned down at times.

My other fish who is hardier is the one that swims more. Both their pelvic fins are not clamped.

Ph: 7.6

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: is like golden rodey yellow ha so 0-5ish 

I've got nothing useful to add, but just wanted to say I have ammonia in my tap water too and know it's a tad annoying. Mine varies between 0.25-0.5ppm, and like Lisa said, is processed out by the nitrifying bacteria within a few hours.