Sign in to follow this  
Valerie Fowler

Melafix a flop: Medi-Gold next?

Hi! Posted a few a week or two ago on Zoom. Water quality hasn't changed since then, just had a quick question. I did the 7 day rotation of melafix for her bacterial infection, but as soon as the water was changed, it came right back. She also has what appears to be a growth on her side, which is starting to protrude out in a way that may be affecting her breathing on one side. I'm almost convinced at this point that it's a tumor. :(

I've been considering medi-gold, since it apparently also treats bacterial infections to some degree, but the question is this: Zoom is the only fish of three who has been effected by whatever this infection is at all. The other two show no signs of it. Is it safe to be feeding medi-gold to the entire tank, knowing this? Sadly, I have no tank for quarantine and no way to separate the 55 gallon so that only she would get to eat it.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8P7FtdZ2zWsOEh6SVRYM3I5X3M&usp=sharing

Zoom is the white fish. It's difficult to get a good picture with an iphone. The tumor is on the left side as she's facing the camera. She's been both lethargic and non-lethargic, still eats readily, and still chases the other fish. 

You could just keep the tank at a light 0.3% salt solution to encourage the cyst to burst and prevent infection when it does.

Medi-Gold is worth a try if you've got it on hand, but feed the appropriate amount suggested on the packaging for the entire duration recommended.

I'm sorry you didn't get a response. Everyone seems to be busy lately with the new year, classes, work, etc..., But I've been trying to pop into threads if I have something I can assist with. :doh11:

Edited by Chai

Bump!