Smelly Fish Tank

wve

I have recently been experiencing odour problems with my 50 gallon goldfish tank. I have never really had such problems with my other tanks, it just seems to be this one. I am aware that fish tanks should have a somewhat organic smell when you get really close to the water, however, if left open, this tank would easily stink out the whole room. From my experience, this doesn't seem right [emoji51][emoji51]

The tank is stocked with three fish, one five inch oranda and two butterfly telescopes one is 5" and the other is about 3.5-4". I am aware that the filtration I'm running isn't exactly ideal as I have a 1000l/h external filter with a 2 litre pre filter to remove most of the waste particles before they enter the filter.

The smell only seems to be really bad after feedings. Especially feedings of frozen brine shrimp and tubifex worms. Bloodworms don't seem to be a problem. Hikari lionhead pellets are also a bit wiffy [emoji90][emoji90] (they make up the majority of their diet).

I am also currently experiencing some problems with algae growth in this tank leading me to think that the smell could be down to an excess of nutrients in the water [emoji53][emoji53]

I am admittedly feeding them rather a lot of food at the moment as I have the tank temp at about 78-80° F but I perform water changes of about 20-30% every other day with a big 80% water change at the weekend to counteract this. I just didn't think that this would cause such a stink!

Edited by wve

What's your maintenance routine?

How often do you clean your prefilter? Why are you worried about removing waste before it enters the filter?

Do you have substrate, if so what kind and how deep? How often do you vacuum it?

What are your tank parameters?

Is the size you are giving for your fish total length (including the tail) or standard length (nose to base of tail)?

What does it smell like?  The typical tank odors are fishy or musty.  Most well-kept tanks are odorless.  A musty smell, similar to organic soil, can occur in a perfectly healthy tank and is really hard to get rid of.  Fishy smells can come from spawning, sick fish, algae, and water which contains debris and dissolved materials.

Do other people notice the smell?  I ask this because I've rarely heard complaints about the odor of fish food.  I'm wondering if you are particularly sensitive to certain odors.  

Why are you keeping the temperature so high?

Would you please give us more information about your filter and prefilter?  A link to a seller is fine.

Some excellent questions here!  I would also tend to wonder how often you're cleaning the filter media.  That's really the only place that I've ever noticed any kind of "smell", but it only becomes bad if not cleaned often enough. :idont: