Sign in to follow this  
GreenTea

Ranchu bottom sitting with no other symptoms

I'm stumped.

125 gallon tank, 6 fish. 3 Aqueon 75g filters on back -1200gph filtration. Tank is brand new, filters and fish are not.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Ph - 7.6-7.8

Nitrate - 10-20

I've had all these fish for awhile, they've been healthy until now. Everyone's gills are pink to red and healthy looking. What I'm seeing currently is 3 ranchu sitting on the bottom of the tank. These fish have been treated for flukes regularly, every 6 months or so as a preventative. I euthanized a ranchu today - He had white stringy poop with occasional redness it in (blood?) and his abdomen swelled up in about 48 hours, head down. He was not bottom sitting, so I don't know if it's related, he may have had some kind of unrelated organ failure? His gills were completely pale when I checked them, before he passed. These 3 ranchu are now sitting the bottom, occasionally getting up to swim and not "sinking" back down but just sort of swimming down and resting. I do not see white poop or stringy poop from them and they're both eating. They're all female but I don't think that's pertinent.

All that I've changed recently is moving them into this larger tank and the addition of sand and some plants. Water looks good.. they're fed well. I'm really stumped. I've been doing 95% water changes every few days in the hopes it would make a difference but so far there's not much luck. I see no sores, ulcers, etc. no flashing.

So, just wondering if anyone has any insight or ideas. I'm concerned my oldest and favorite ranchu now has a swelling abdomen, although she's always been very fat looking so I could just be being paranoid.

Edited by GreenTea

So sorry to hear that your chu's aren't doing well.

The mods will want you to fill out the d&d form and maybe provide some pics. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  •  

All of the relevant information is covered in my post.

Edited by GreenTea

:hi Niki, sorry to hear that some of your stock is not well. can i ask, the plants and sand, where did they come from?

:hi Niki, sorry to hear that some of your stock is not well. can i ask, the plants and sand, where did they come from?

Hi Helen, thank you for responding. The sand was new/sealed from my favorite LFS, the plants were as well. The plants had been there for awhile and looked very healthy, and I hit them with prazi before adding them.

The same sand and plants are in my pearlscale tank as well, they are showing no symptoms at all and are thriving. I'm really scratching my head here. I can get photos of you but I suspect it will just look like two health ranchu bottom sitting. They aren't clamped up or tilted.

ok, instead of photos, but you can supply them in addition if you like.. how about a video.. so that we can see their exact behaviour?

i'm heading off to bed now, but i am sure others will be by to ask questions and make suggestions.

i will check back (my) tomorrow this time, for a video :)

fingers crossed we can all work together and make a positive difference for your fish  :hug

ok, instead of photos, but you can supply them in addition if you like.. how about a video.. so that we can see their exact behaviour?

i'm heading off to bed now, but i am sure others will be by to ask questions and make suggestions.

i will check back (my) tomorrow this time, for a video :)

fingers crossed we can all work together and make a positive difference for your fish  :hug

Hey Helen, here is the video. I tapped the tank a few times to get them moving a bit so you could see her going back to the bottom and I put a little description in the youtube video.

Another thing I'm seeing is that the water gets a little hazy after 24 hours, no matter what. This is weird to me, I don't know why. It's not from the sand, and there's no salt in the tank. Bacterial bloom? Must be, just am not sure from what.

Thanks for taking the time to watch this video and respond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYik5J-Yt7o

The situation is urgent and there are new symptoms including flashing. Poor Bowie, my oldest ranchu is extremely swollen and sort of wobbly, like the black ranchu that passed away. Here are more photos and videos.

I am sort of stumped here, I'm seeing a few different symptoms in some of my ranchu. These fish have all recently been treated for flukes with prazi and are not responsive to metro.

The fish that has already passed - extremely pale gills, hugely swollen body with clear/red poop. No flashing. Male.

Sakura ranchu - Currently extremely swollen body with clear and red poop, looks like "clear" liquid inside, not seeing any septicemia or redness inside. Bottom sitting and floating. Not very interested in food. Female, older.

Calico ranchu - Bottom sitting, occasional flashing but no body swelling. Not interested in food. Female, age unknown.

There are 6 fish in a 125 with clean water, they get frequent 95% water changes (2-3x) a week and I use prime/feed them well. The other 4 fish are acting normally.

Here are photos and video.

Flashing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc2REXadsIE

Bottom sitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYik5J-Yt7o

Could this be very bad internal parasites? I got some new plants recently but hit them with prazi first. There are no raised scales on any fish indicating dropsy.

Fish that passed - Only fish that showed symptoms - I thought it might be a liver problem. Once he passed other fish began to show symptoms.

IMG_20150207_143454_105_zpslx63qszw.jpg

IMG_20150207_143526_226_zpsyoveywyj.jpg

IMG_20150207_143540_190_zpsk48wl7cz.jpg

Sakura - see the "clear" when the light comes through

IMG_20150210_204639_706_zps4apmq47w.jpg

IMG_20150210_204732_203_zpsjyzywhs0.jpg

IMG_20150210_204437_137_zpspvcn1iyt.jpg

IMG_20150210_204710_253_zps64lpdabs.jpg

Calico

IMG_20150210_204404_587_zps55hgqiuo.jpg

My current plan if no one is able to help or has an idea of what's happening is epsom salt and kanaplex for the swollen ranchu, and paraguard or other intense parasite combatant for the main tank.

I would get them all on epsom because they look bloated to me (but I don't know your fish well) and get them on an oral medication such as metro and trisulfa or something of that nature in a gelfood. The sudden onset doesn't seem parasitic to me. 

I would get them all on epsom because they look bloated to me (but I don't know your fish well) and get them on an oral medication such as metro and trisulfa or something of that nature in a gelfood. The sudden onset doesn't seem parasitic to me. 

Thanks for your response. The other fish are not boated, just well fed :) I don't think it could hurt.

I am concerned its a virus.

The calico ranchu passed and it looks like Bowie, the sakura is not far behind. It looks like she is going to split from the back.

Thanks for your response. The other fish are not boated, just well fed :) I don't think it could hurt.

I am concerned its a virus.

I'm thinking its a virus too :(