What's wrong with my fish?

Amie Grady

Hi, I bought 5 goldfish last week. This evening I went to feed them and noticed my favourite (the most social!) looks like he's on deaths door. He's not swimming, clamped fins, just... Floating. Help!! How do I help him?!:(

It could be multiple things, but it will be hard for people to give you an answer without more information. How big is the tank? Was it cycled? what did you feed the fish? Which water additives did you use? Were they quarantined etc

There's a disease diagnosis section on this forum with a form to fill out to give people more experienced than myself the information they need to help you, I'd make a post there if 
I were you :)

If you can attach a photo of the affected fish to the post it will also be a plus. 

Here's the link http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/10-disease-diagnosis-treatments-microscope-videos/

Sorry, duh! I should have given more info, slightly panicking. I can't believe I'm so attached to a goldfish I've had for a week...

He's in a new outdoor pond. No it wasn't cycled. I didn't research and had no idea it needed to be :( water seems ok, ammonia and nitrites are 0. Lots of plants. Only additives was the dechlorinator. I've been doing 20% water changes every second day. Have been feeding them flakes, but have since read that pallets are better so will get some next time I'm at the fish shop.

He doesn't look sick. I can't see anything physically wrong with him, but I also don't have much of a clue what I'm looking for...

• Supporter

hello, welcome to kokos :)

i will move your post over to the correct section, so please don't start another thread. whilst i do that, please answer the following questions as best as you can.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Wow.. I will answer as best as I can.. I'm new and have made mistakes! Please don't shoot!

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 7.6. I don't know about the tap water... I didn't think to test it... I'm using API master test kit.

Pond is 500L. Have been doing 20% changes every other day. Fish are baby comets. About 5cm. It's been running a couple of weeks. I have no idea about the filter, my partner set all that up. It turns over 1000L per hour. Only added dechlorinator.

No unusual behaviours, the sick one has been the most active until tonight.

• Supporter

we're friendly here, no problems :)

where is the 'sick' one now? if it's still in the pond, can you remove it using a transparent container and get a short video of it's behaviour whilst in the container?

can you tell me which dechlorinator you added?

• Supporter

ok, we will wait until morning. which State do you live in? i am in Vic - Melbourne.

could you do a quick online search to see if you can find the dechlorinator that you are using? how old is it?

Do copy the form, paste it into your post, and fill in as much information as you can.  It is very difficult to read that much data in paragraph form.  Since only one fish is sick and you've only had it 5 days, you may have bought a sick fish.

If those are small goldfish and your pond is 100 gallons or more, your current maintenance  program is good.  I'm sure your flakes are fine for now, just feed very little food and check your ammonia and nitrate before each water change.  

Edited by shakaho