Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TetraLover

Don't even know where to start...

Recommended Posts

I think euthanasia is the only option at this point.

 

goldbarb1.jpg

 

goldbarb2.jpg

 

 

I have no clue...There's red under the chin, little "legs" sticking out from the bottom jaw, brown gunk on the mouth...He's a royal mess. He can't open his mouth at all. It's like he swallowed a larva and it's growing in his mouth.

 

I'm going to go check the other gold barbs and fish now, I don't think they've gotten sick but the female gold barb has been pretty cozy with this guy for a while now.

 

No test kit, sorry. I ran out a long time ago. I'll have to put it on the list next time I need to go to the pet store :/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the activity level? Is he just lying on his side like that? It sounds like its a parasite, which is very treatable. The little legs sound like anchor worm.

Edited by Chai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lethargic. He's not on his side, that was just the camera angle in the iso unit. He's able to move around, just very slowly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What medications and aquarium additives do you happen to have on hand?

I'm not sure I may be of much help as I don't know how barbs react to them, but I believe a mod may be able to find a solution.

Even when the mouth of a fish is fused closed, it's generally a parasite or infection causing it. It can also be reopened if a slight layer of skin has caused it to be closed, it's a very very thin layer and generally does not hurt the fish to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks more than a little fused :-(

 

th_goldbarb3.jpg

 

th_goldbarb4.jpg

 

I have T.C. Tetracycline and Lifeguard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have the below info posted anywhere? 

 

If you don't have a test kit, take some water to a pet store and get them to test it.

  • Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
Edited by Acro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll answer what I can at the moment, I'm running out tonight to get some salt and some different meds that can cover parasite/bacteria/infection. 

 

 

Do you have the below info posted anywhere? 

 

If you don't have a test kit, take some water to a pet store and get them to test it.

  • Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature? 78
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 gal, 3 yrs
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? SunSun, has a uv sterlizer, not sure on the size, it holds about 3-4 gallons when the media is taken out.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Top off as needed, 60% water change once a month.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 weeks ago, 60%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? See signature, sizes range from 1" to 4"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega One trop flakes, once a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? The rainbows are the newest, about 2 months ago.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? See pictures
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Not eating, swimming slow

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has a little bit of red last week, but we've had other fish get red spots that go away after a few days, so we just did a wait-and-see. Now he's got little stringy bits and that brown gunk.

 

Could it be a stuck food pellet? I don't really want to hurt him with tweezers if it ends up not being that :-(

 

It's not anchor worm, I went through my parents' fish pond one summer and was pulling those things off all their goldfish, mosquito fish, and plecos.

Edited by TetraLover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snowed in since yesterday and tomorrow isn't looking good either. He's still holding on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just took tweezers to him and pulled SOMETHING out of his mouth. I have no idea what it is, and I am SO GROSSED OUT RIGHT NOW.

 

Going to treat for infection, he's pretty red under the chin but hopefully he can tough it out a bit longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just took tweezers to him and pulled SOMETHING out of his mouth. I have no idea what it is, and I am SO GROSSED OUT RIGHT NOW.

 

Going to treat for infection, he's pretty red under the chin but hopefully he can tough it out a bit longer.

I know this is also going to sound gross, but do you still have it? Can you take a photo of it or post what it looked like through a Google search?

It might be wise to treat for parasites as well, considering you pulled a THING out of his mouth. :scared :scared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do hate to say this. but that is achor worms :o

is this a new fish? was some one new added to the tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...