Nami showing early signs of Dropsy

akamozu

• Helper

If it makes you feel better, that's about where my oranda was two weeks ago with pineconing, and with treatment has dropsy is totally resolved. I'm wishing Nami well!

• Supporter

then you are doing all that you possibly can for her.

we can only hope that at some stage, she begins responding to treatments. the infections which cause the symptom of dropsy/pineconing can not be determined without microscope investigation and an appropriate staining kit, and even then, it's pretty hard if you do not know what you're looking at. i wish it was that easy, but unfortunately, it is not. this is one reason why there is such a high mortality rate with fish who display these symptoms.

as aquarists, we can only treat the symptoms that we see. often, we treat for gram positive and gram negative bacteria in these cases so that we can target as many known infections as possible. sometimes we are successful, other times we are not. we just simply need to remain hopeful that our fish will respond to treatments and on the opposite end of the scale, we need to remain content that we've tried all that we can.

i hope things begin to turn around for sweet Nami  :hug

• Supporter

that little white spot at the tip about midway? not sure, it could just be a reaction either to the meds or a symptom from the infection either way, it's not giving me cause for concern.. can i ask? are there blood smears around her mouth? or is that just normal colouring?

there is no blood smear?  Around her lips is a littlr red from when she dislocated her jaw.  The only other thing i can think of that you might be seeing is some outlines of her gills but it isnt red on the outside?  I've noticed red only at the base of her fins.

• Supporter

there is no blood smear?  Around her lips is a littlr red from when she dislocated her jaw.  The only other thing i can think of that you might be seeing is some outlines of her gills but it isnt red on the outside?  I've noticed red only at the base of her fins.

that's ok. i was just checking :)