Jump to content

Nami showing early signs of Dropsy


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member
  • Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api drops
      • * Water temperature? 75 now 80
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gal for a year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon 70
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? once to twice a week ~25-40%
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Sunday 30%
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 about 3 inches body length
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS pellets with garlic
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
      • * Any medications added to the tank? salt and prazi (both in quaratine)
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Nami has only ever had the jaw that she dislocated several months back, tashi was always the one with problems in the past.  Prazi Salt Tri Sulfa?
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nami had been flashing both yesterday and the day before yesterday when I turned the light on in the morning, but it was only when I turned on the light first thing in the morning and wouldnt do it for the rest of the day.  Today I moved both fish into salt and prazi because I figured it had been a year since I did their last quaratine for flukes so they were due for another round.  Once I was able to get everything situated and her being in a smaller tank i could tell that her scales were raised slightly, and I had specifically checked for that this morning before going to school and they werent because in my past experience its been dropsy that has gotten my fish so i always keep a good eye out for any sickness
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? When i was adding in the prazi i could tell that her gills were a little irriated and tashi did too but only for a little while, then she wouldnt move her mouth at all so i stayed and kept a close eye, then all of a sudden she went belly up and wasnt breathing, so i turned her right side up and kind of swayed her forward and back and she came back (never anything anyone wants to experience or see) and ever since then shes been good.  I waited about ten minutes and decided to see if they would eat, and as soon as the food was in the tank she was on it.  Now she is acting like her normal self just seems a little tired.


    • The whole reason why im writing all this however, is that i know it is dropsy.  Shes fat so you cant tell when you look at her from the front but above her you can tell.  I went onto goldfish connection to get some metromeds since i dont have any and they are SOLD OUT, so i was wondering if i could buy some from someone who might have them.  I just put the prazi and salt in today, but didnt notice her scales till after the fact.  And i didnt want to change it today because she is acting normal now, but imput on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporter

i am sorry that your fish is unwell.. if you can provide the pictures requested from Lis, but please take them from top view so that we can see the pineconing and any retained fluids. also, if you have a few before photos so that we can compare? that would be great :)


goldfish connection has closed business, that means that there is no more MetroMeds. there are other medicines which work well such as Metronidazole, Kanaplex and a few others, but i will let the US members make their recommendations :)


you may be able to get the recommended meds from your local LFS and not be waiting on internet/mail orders to arrive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member




Today there is stringy poop but shes still acting like she wants to be fed

Should i put tashi back in the main tank? is it ok to just take him out of the quarantined tank and put him in the normal one or do i now need to finish the rounds of prazi?

What should i do for Nami?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

You can return Tashi to the main tank and finish the prazi in there if you'd like.  For Nami, you will need to treat with powdered metronidazole and kanamycin.  If you have a good lfs, they may carry it.  If not both can be ordered on line from here:








I would add Epsom salt at 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons for Nami.  Let us know when you get the meds and we can help figure out a treatment schedule.  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

There should be a measuring spoon in the bottle of medication.  Do a 100% WC and add the meds according to package dosage directions.  Also add Epsom at 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons.  Let us know if you have any questions with that and then let us know how things are going tomorrow.  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

You added the meds on Sunday, right?  So you are due for a WC.  Do back to back large WCs or a 100% WC, then redose meds and Prime.  :D


You'll want to do a WC and meds one day, Prime the next day, then meds and WC the next day.  So WC and dose meds every other day and add Prime on the days you don't do a WC . . . .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

New, old member here.... (I started off learning about goldfish on this site...)


Curious as to how your fish is doing.  


I have an Oranda I am treating right now with Maracyn II that is doing exceptionally well.   It took me seven years (during which time I received a LOT of terrible advice and made awful mistakes) to learn how to care for my goldfish properly.  I researched constantly, asked "experts" for advice, and still lost fish.  It wasn't until I had experience with a POND that came with my daughter's new house that things began to make sense to me.


The one thing that helped me more than any other advice was to do 80%-90% water changes every week.  There is a YouTube video from a gentleman who explains that 50% water changes may not be enough and that you need to determine your nitrate output first.


Anyway, just checking in.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...