My Red Cherry Shrimp World

LisaCGold

photo1_zps6486dda3.jpg

After months and months of trying to solve the shrimp die-off problem, the number of shrimp has finally grown past the height of the population prior to the die-off. The baby shrimp totally outnumber the adult shrimp (the ones that are able to breed). There are probably 60-70 shrimp in the tank now. Eventually I'll be able to feed some to my goldfish.

I think the main problem that caused the die-off was that lucky bamboo whose leaves were turning yellow were putting toxins into the water. Only the roots of the bamboo were in the water.

I love staring into this shrimp world!

:(  I reached my "like" quota already today.  I'll have to come back at a later day to "like" because I really like your tank.  It's beautiful.  Love how you have it all set up.   I love cherry shrimps even though I don't have any.

Are you just going to put some in your gf tank alive and let the fish just go after them.  Kind of :(  But I get it.  Otherwise you'd have tons and tons, huh? 

:( I reached my "like" quota already today. I'll have to come back at a later day to "like" because I really like your tank. It's beautiful. Love how you have it all set up. I love cherry shrimps even though I don't have any.

Are you just going to put some in your gf tank alive and let the fish just go after them. Kind of :( But I get it. Otherwise you'd have tons and tons, huh?

Thank you!

I plan to put them into the goldfish tank live without putting any of the shrimp tank water in the goldfish tank. If I don't feed them to the goldfish there will be too many of them. The other option is to sell some on Craigslist or to give them to local fish stores.

It will be interesting to see if my goldfish will be able to get them. The wens on both of the goldfish have gotten so big that they've become visually impaired. When I do put the shrimp in the tank, I'll need to put prefilters on the hobs for a period of time so the shrimp don't get sucked up by the filters.

When I first started the shrimp tank, the plan was to eventually feed them to the goldfish. Back then the goldfish weren't visually impaired so there would have been no problem. They easily chased food particles all over the tank. Now not so easily.

Edited by LisaCGold

I see Marimo and Anubias, but what is that other pretty plant?

Looks good!  Good Luck!  :D

Thank you!

It is guppy grass, also called najas. I love how it floats. It grows quite fast also. No need for fertilizers either.

Great shrimp world :) Glad you figured out what was killing off the other shrimp. I love the guppy grass, I never heard of that before.

Thanks! I wish the guppy grass would work in the goldfish tank, but it is just too tender for the boys to leave alone.

Great shrimp world :) Glad you figured out what was killing off the other shrimp. I love the guppy grass, I never heard of that before.

Thanks! I wish the guppy grass would work in the goldfish tank, but it is just too tender for the boys to leave alone.

Oh I bet it would be great in a Goldie tank if they didn't see it as an All You Can Eat salad bar! :teehee I'd have some in my Tropical tank, but my Rosy Barbs would eat it. Hmmm maybe good in my Betta tank!

Thank you, Everyone!

A darker substrate would be better for them -- it would help to enhance their red coloring. But since this tank is really just "fish food," I've just used some left over substrate.

Awesome!! It's a beautiful tank, and I really love that piece of driftwood. Reminds me of a baobab. :heart

:( I reached my "like" quota already today. I'll have to come back at a later day to "like" because I really like your tank. It's beautiful. Love how you have it all set up. I love cherry shrimps even though I don't have any.

Are you just going to put some in your gf tank alive and let the fish just go after them. Kind of :( But I get it. Otherwise you'd have tons and tons, huh?

Thank you!

I plan to put them into the goldfish tank live without putting any of the shrimp tank water in the goldfish tank. If I don't feed them to the goldfish there will be too many of them. The other option is to sell some on Craigslist or to give them to local fish stores.

It will be interesting to see if my goldfish will be able to get them. The wens on both of the goldfish have gotten so big that they've become visually impaired. When I do put the shrimp in the tank, I'll need to put prefilters on the hobs for a period of time so the shrimp don't get sucked up by the filters.

When I first started the shrimp tank, the plan was to eventually feed them to the goldfish. Back then the goldfish weren't visually impaired so there would have been no problem. They easily chased food particles all over the tank. Now not so easily.

Thanks for explaining.  No, I get it.  It's interesting.  Sounds like your goldfish have had some major wen growth.  You need to post some recent goldfish photo's if you haven't done so recently.  (my like button still not working and it's even the next day. :( )

I see Marimo and Anubias, but what is that other pretty plant?

Looks good!  Good Luck!  :D

Thank you!

It is guppy grass, also called najas. I love how it floats. It grows quite fast also. No need for fertilizers either.

I've never heard of guppy grass before and I don't think I've seen it either.  I really like it in your tank.