CaribSea Torpedo Beach

cmclien

Anyone have this?  It looks like sand on a beach vs play sand etc.  Wondering how easy it is to clean.  Do you siphon through it or go over the top?

I don't have it, but most sand if actually sand and not fine gravel must not be siphoned because it's too light and will get sucked up. So, you'll need to just skim the top :) do you know how many mm the granules are?

Hi there, it says its .2 - 1.2.  The directions on the bag say that if you vacuum it like regular gravel you'll probably remove some of the finer grains.  I just don't want any debris sinking down.

I think the torpedo beach is much coarser than other sand, like in-between gravel and play sand.

I have the sunset gold, and it looks like what you'd find on the beach. :) but like aubrey said, not much can sink down so you're pretty safe vacuuming over it. I'll post a pic for you in a second. :)

20150202_185617_HDR.jpg

I realize this doesn't answer your question. :rofl but if you're going for color, and not sinking poop (if that would happen with the torpedo beach) then you might like this kind. :D

Edited by jenzaar

I think the torpedo beach is much coarser than other sand, like in-between gravel and play sand.

I have the sunset gold, and it looks like what you'd find on the beach. :) but like aubrey said, not much can sink down so you're pretty safe vacuuming over it. I'll post a pic for you in a second. :)

I realize this doesn't answer your question. :rofl but if you're going for color, and not sinking poop (if that would happen with the torpedo beach) then you might like this kind.

Your tank looks beautiful!  Do you get algae growing on it at all?  Now I'm wondering if I should go with black....

I think the torpedo beach would be alright.  And probably going to use for a tropical tank.

Thanks! I don't get much algae in the tank (knock on wood!), but what does come up is either on plants or the bottom of the glass. I was told once that if algae is on the sand, it kind of just lays on it, rather than growing on and becoming attached to it.

This is going to be so fun to see what all you decide on your new tank.  I can hardly wait. :)

I'm pretty excited! I decided on the CaribSea moonlight sand. Its a pretty soft white and its what petsmart carried. I was checking out their fish and they seem to know how to sex them so I don't end up with a zillion babies. They had a couple of blue rams but their color was pretty transparent. My guess is they are a bit stressed as that was how my minnows were and then after a couple of days they turned this beautiful bronze color.

I think I might just put the sand in the 30b and rinse it there since I can leave the minnows in the 10g for a couple of days.

I just ordered the Torpedo Beach sand 3 days ago, and it will get here in a day or so. I thought it looked pretty good online but I'll see how it looks in person.

I was thinking of the moonlight sand when I was in Pet Smart but thought it was too fine and thought it would float around too much, but I have no idea. I have enough time trying not to get the Tahitian Moon sand in the filter and I think that is a bigger grain size than the moonlight sand. :doh11:  I use filter media bags to cover the one intake tube though and am ordering pre filter intake sponges for the newer filter.

Maybe I have newbie bad luck with sand :teehee The moonlight sand does look soft and pretty. Cory catfish would love that kind so it helps save their sensitive barbels that are prone to wear away in rougher gravel.

I have the moonlight sand, and it's really beautiful....BUT....I don't know that I'd choose it again, now that I've had it for over a year.  It's a very fine grain, and often ends up in the filters.  You're doing this in a tropical tank (right?), so I don't think you'll have issues like I did, but I definitely recommend making or buying prefilters for your intakes.  My filters make my living room sound like a helicopter landing zone, and it's all because sand got into the impellers.

If I redo my tank, I'd still do sand, but a heavier grain.  Hopefully, there will be less issue. 

Edited by yafashelli

I have the moonlight sand, and it's really beautiful....BUT....I don't know that I'd choose it again, now that I've had it for over a year. It's a very fine grain, and often ends up in the filters. You're doing this in a tropical tank (right?), so I don't think you'll have issues like I did, but I definitely recommend making or buying prefilters for your intakes. My filters make my living room sound like a helicopter landing zone, and it's all because sand got into the impellers.

If I redo my tank, I'd still do sand, but a heavier grain. Hopefully, there will be less issue.

Do you lubricate your impellers? If they get scratched up from sand you can pull em out and apply a thin coat of Vaseline. Works like a charm. I surprisingly never find sand in any of my filters. I have sunset beach in my goldfish tank and flourite sand in the lungfish tank.

I have the moonlight sand, and it's really beautiful....BUT....I don't know that I'd choose it again, now that I've had it for over a year.  It's a very fine grain, and often ends up in the filters.  You're doing this in a tropical tank (right?), so I don't think you'll have issues like I did, but I definitely recommend making or buying prefilters for your intakes.  My filters make my living room sound like a helicopter landing zone, and it's all because sand got into the impellers.

If I redo my tank, I'd still do sand, but a heavier grain.  Hopefully, there will be less issue. 

Oh no!  Well, I don't have fish in there yet.  I do have a 20lb bag of torpedo beach that I could put on top or mix in?  I thought maybe it was too big of grains for the catfish?  I only put in 20     pounds of the moonlight in a 35g tank so I definitely could put in more.  What do you think?  The whole idea of filtering the intakes seems counterintuitive as far as the impellers being able to bring in debris.  Or should I remove it?  What do you guys think?  Its in the tank sitting in about 4 inches of water to rinse it the "easy" way.  And yeah its going to be a tropical tank.

Edited by CindiL

I have the moonlight sand, and it's really beautiful....BUT....I don't know that I'd choose it again, now that I've had it for over a year. It's a very fine grain, and often ends up in the filters. You're doing this in a tropical tank (right?), so I don't think you'll have issues like I did, but I definitely recommend making or buying prefilters for your intakes. My filters make my living room sound like a helicopter landing zone, and it's all because sand got into the impellers.

If I redo my tank, I'd still do sand, but a heavier grain. Hopefully, there will be less issue.

Do you lubricate your impellers? If they get scratched up from sand you can pull em out and apply a thin coat of Vaseline. Works like a charm. I surprisingly never find sand in any of my filters. I have sunset beach in my goldfish tank and flourite sand in the lungfish tank.

Yes, I do.  :)

Oh no!  Well, I don't have fish in there yet.  I do have a 20lb bag of torpedo beach that I could put on top or mix in?  I thought maybe it was too big of grains for the catfish?  I only put in 20     pounds of the moonlight in a 35g tank so I definitely could put in more.  What do you think?  The whole idea of filtering the intakes seems counterintuitive as far as the impellers being able to bring in debris.  Or should I remove it?  What do you guys think?  Its in the tank sitting in about 4 inches of water to rinse it the "easy" way.  And yeah its going to be a tropical tank.

I don't think that mixing will help; the super fine grain moonlight will still be there.  See if it's a problem in your tank, and if it is, think about adding a prefilter.  

I don't think that mixing will help; the super fine grain moonlight will still be there.  See if it's a problem in your tank, and if it is, think about adding a prefilter.  

What if I put it on top?  Or I could remove it, dang!  shouldn't be too hard though with a dust pan.

It may not be an issue, in a tropical tank, as it was with my large goldfish.  Wait and see. :)

I'll see what others weigh in with this.  I'd rather deal with it now if I need to then after I have fish in it.

I think Jenzaars sand is the same size/consistency......wonder if she has problems.

Since you have a similar sand, what do you think? Is it too fine?

I think Jenna's is sunset gold which is more coarse then moonlight.

Yes, the moonlight is a much finer grain than the sunset gold.

I think for you it will just depend on your filters, how powerful, close to the sand, etc. I think there's someone else here who has it, and without issue. I think that since it's going with tropicals (so lighter filtration? I could be wrong on that) you'll have a bit more of a margin with how you can set it up. I see no reason to remove it yet! Maybe it'll work just fine. It's soooo beautiful, and you should totally give it a chance!

Tammy may like to give people the idea that hers are dainty, gentle fish. But they are beasts and stir it all up for fun. :rofl with tropicals, i think the chances of them starting a sandstorm is a bit smaller. :teehee

I think she has something though, see how it does now. If you think some is going into the filters, put a prefilter on the intake. If you hate it/it doesn't help, then make changes. But again, the stuff is so gorgeous that it's worth a try. :D

Since you have a similar sand, what do you think? Is it too fine?

I think for you it will just depend on your filters, how powerful, close to the sand, etc. I think there's someone else here who has it, and without issue. I think that since it's going with tropicals (so lighter filtration? I could be wrong on that) you'll have a bit more of a margin with how you can set it up. I see no reason to remove it yet! Maybe it'll work just fine. It's soooo beautiful, and you should totally give it a chance!

Tammy may like to give people the idea that hers are dainty, gentle fish. But they are beasts and stir it all up for fun. :rofl with tropicals, i think the chances of them starting a sandstorm is a bit smaller. :teehee

I think she has something though, see how it does now. If you think some is going into the filters, put a prefilter on the intake. If you hate it/it doesn't help, then make changes. But again, the stuff is so gorgeous that it's worth a try. :D

My fish ARE dainty, gentle, and kind creatures.  How dare you sully their character by saying otherwise?! :o

I definitely agree that it's such a beautiful sand that it's worth giving it a shot.

Kinda funny, I looked them up:

TMS:  .1-.3

Moonlight: .1-.3

Sunset gold: .1-.4

Torpedo Beach: .2-1.2

Maybe its all in our heads :teehee

ok, well I have to let the filters run for a day anyways to clean up the cloudiness so I'll see if they pick up anything.  I am putting 2 -200gph filters on the 35g.  Too much?  I could do one but am used to really dirty water without that with those poopy goldfish anyways.

:teehee i think that should be fine! Good luck! Hoping it works out perfectly. :D

Now I'm worrying the white sand will get dirty fast and show poo, maybe it was a bad decision.  Maybe I'll stop and get a bag of sunset gold and either put it over or mix it with the moonlight?  Does your sunset gold get dirty over time? 

I have 20lbs in the 35g which is 1/2 inch or less.

Edited by CindiL

I just got my bag of Torpedo Beach sand in the mail today. Looks pretty cool and some of the grains look clear or opaque. I don't think it looks too course from the catfish to me.

I just looked up on a catfish forum that they think Torpedo Beach sand is perfect for Cory Catfish and burrowing catfish species and they have no problems with it at all. They also mention that the sand grains are heavy enough to not get caught in the filter, or rarely cause any filter problems. (Good to know seeing that I just bought it also and was wondering about that. I probably will use a pre filter sponge in the beginning anyway just too make sure) So that is a choice to consider.

I think it would look pretty nice if you mixed the moonlight and sunset gold sands together :) But you'd still want to use a pre filter sponge or filter bag cover for your filter intake tubes.

Or you could try CaribSea, Crystal River sand which is a bigger grain size than TMS, sunset gold and moonlight sand, but is wee bit smaller than the Torpedo Beach sand. ( 0.2 to 0.5 ) I really like it and it is a lighter color similar to the Torpedo Beach sand. My Crystal River sand is mixed with TMS. It is supposed to be the same size bit it seems that the black sand works its way to the top and the CR goes to the bottom more, but my goldies keep it mixed pretty well.