Potential 10G Planted Tank- Where to start?

SynthHermit

Hi guys! Haven't been here in SO long. My three (once four :c) goldies aren't doing too bad, save for some major buoyancy issues with my poor blue that we can't quite seem to kick. But that's for another thread, probably posted tomorrow.

I've found myself with an empty 10G, and a new job. At my favorite fish store. So naturally I want to do something fun with this spare tank, and as I've learned not too many of my co-workers have much experience keeping a planted tank, and I have wanted to try one for awhile. Plus getting a discount at the store is a big plus. :D

I just have no idea where to really start once that 10G gets a GOOD scrubdown (Possibly even multiple bleach baths.I've had some bad luck in the past with it.).

I have a filter, heater, and air pump for it, along with a glass lid and light,though I'm not sure the wattage of the bulb. I also have it's future inhabitants already: 6 cherry barbs (3 albino) that I bought back in early December who are currently hanging out in my 20G, which I want back for a telescope(I've missed having one so bad). There's a small anubias in with them, along with Flora-Max planting substrate that's around an inch or so deep.

My plan is to move that 10G off my desk (I need the room. I'm an illustrator losing my studio space when I graduate in a few months. D:) and into my large window,ideally. I know I have to leave some swimming room for the barbs. And I know I'm going to need some quick-growing plants to prevent algae from all the sunlight, but I have no idea what kinds to try, save for duckweed.

So, I guess my big questions are this:

Should I continue to use the Flora-Max gravel? If so, should I try to take it from the barbs current tank, or just get a new bag?

Aside from Anubias and duckweed that I know I want, what other types of plants would you recommend,preferably on the lower-maintenance side of things?

Would I need to bother with CO2 for this tank?

I'm sure I have a bajillion more questions, but they just aren't coming to me right now. This project is in the very early planning stages, since I probably won't have too much time for the actual doing of things until Spring Break arrives at the end of March. That's when I'm aiming to be able to clear the space in my window to move the tank.

6 is a good number for a 10 gallon. Just 1 fish overstocked. Until the plants take off, make sure to check levels and keep up on tank maintenance. I love having discounts from work! :D 30% is mine and it's awesomeeeee. Not 30% for everything, sadly, but most things :)

you will want a 6,700k-8,000k bulb for plants. An 18 inch fluorescent tube would be fine for a 10 gallon. 

I don't see why re-using the gravel wold be an issue :) Some great plants are anubias, java fern, and small swords. Moss balls would probably help with algae. I think liquid ferts will suffice. I don't see a C02 being needed.

Welcome back! :D

Edited by Mikey

There's no reason you can't keep using the flora max, unless you wanted to get more. I can recommend a few different weedy stems if you know what size leaf you'd prefer (or if it matters). Different vals, microsorums and crypts are all good too. Co2 will be up to you, but not essential based on what you want to do. All plants will benefit from its injection though. Perhaps you could try the DIY route if it's something you would like to dabble with.

The first thing I'd look at is whether you want to 'scape' this tank or just grow some plants à la jungle style. If it's the former I would suggest looking for your hardscape first and fiddling with that before attempting to sort plants out.

you will want a 6,700k-8,000k bulb for plants. An 18 inch fluorescent tube would be fine for a 10 gallon. 

Mikey, this doesn't really matter. Bulb temperature is for us, all the plants really care about is light spectrum i.e. reds, blues, greens, etc.

Mikey, this doesn't really matter. Bulb temperature is for us, all the plants really care about is light spectrum i.e. reds, blues, greens, etc.
but I thought that they liked the 6,700-10,00k bulbs?

but I thought that they liked the 6,700-10,00k bulbs?

Those bulb ranges are meant to imitate the colour of sunlight, but you can grow plants with a 20,000k actinic bulb if you want. It will be aesthetically strange and some plants might grow leggy, but things will grow; the plants don't care the bulb is blue, they care that it's putting out 420-600+nm. Going off of the visible colour is a common mistake people make.

Here's a graph I found on chlorophyll a and b wavelength uptake.

Chlorophyll.jpg

6 is a good number for a 10 gallon. Just 1 fish overstocked. Until the plants take off, make sure to check levels and keep up on tank maintenance. I love having discounts from work! :D 30% is mine and it's awesomeeeee. Not 30% for everything, sadly, but most things :)

I don't see why re-using the gravel wold be an issue :) Some great plants are anubias, java fern, and small swords. Moss balls would probably help with algae. I think liquid ferts will suffice. I don't see a C02 being needed.

Welcome back! :D

I'm SO glad to hear that my barbs will be a good fit. I had a feeling I'd be a little over, but it's nice to hear it confirmed and that it's not too overstocked. Happy to hear about the CO2 as well. There's a planted tank at my work with a CO2 system that's been giving them nightmares. My manager accidentally suffocated all the fish in that tank when it was first set up however long ago it was. D: I definitely think I can handle liquid ferts.

Moving the gravel will be an interesting adventure, since I didn't plan on setting up the tank all in one day. I guess I'll just have to slowly scoop it out of the barbs 20G once I get the 10G moved.

I get 30% too, on fish. 25% off dry, and for tanks, I pay what they pay. It's awesome.

There's no reason you can't keep using the flora max, unless you wanted to get more. I can recommend a few different weedy stems if you know what size leaf you'd prefer (or if it matters). Different vals, microsorums and crypts are all good too. Co2 will be up to you, but not essential based on what you want to do. All plants will benefit from its injection though. Perhaps you could try the DIY route if it's something you would like to dabble with.

The first thing I'd look at is whether you want to 'scape' this tank or just grow some plants à la jungle style. If it's the former I would suggest looking for your hardscape first and fiddling with that before attempting to sort plants out.

Thanks for the info! I actually hadn't really thought to 'scape' the tank, other than having an open/flat middle area. I probably won't do much in that area, save for maybe a denser section of substrate in the back corners. If the right rock or piece of driftwood comes along, I'll find a way to add it in. (Actually, my dad has a piece of driftwood that I used in my goldie tank for awhile. I wonder if it would fit in the 10G...)

As for leaf sizes, they don't really matter too much to me. I had a sword in with my goldies before they ate it that I really liked,though I can't remember what it was called. Moss balls sound fun,too!

While cleaning yesterday, I found an 18" T8 FloraMax Plant Growth Bulb. Not sure why I'm not using it now, to be honest, but I have it. xD

I get 30% off mostly everything. If it's not 30% it's some type of discount. It's because we probably got it on sale or we had to pay full retail price ourselves for it.

Scaping is a lot of fun, especially since things change as plants go through various stages.

Off the top of my head some different plants you could try are: hygrophila polysperma, hygrophila polysperma rosanervig, hygrophila corymbosa, hygrophila difformis, ludwigia repens, ludwigia brevipes (maybe) rotala sp. green, rotala rotundifolia, pogostemon helferi, hydrocotyle (any variety), bolbitis, microsorums (java ferns), anubias, aponogetons, crypts, java moss, lilaeopsis brasiliensis, echinodorus varieties, etc.

This might give you some inspiration as to what's possible in low tech.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/30cm-the-cube.35662/