Pond liner? Paint? Container?

Reds12

I experimented last year with a taller above ground pond since I had an 18 month old who kept trying to climb in the one we had.  With the winter moisture, we're seeing some bowing which of course makes me nervous.

I'm wanting to rebuild next month and give the fish some additional water surface so I've decided something shorter and wider with a cage ontop to prevent guest swimmers - both of the toddler and canine variety.  The thing is, I can't re-use my liner since its been cut to accommodate a window - boo.

I've come across cheap liner options before such as used billboard epdm tarps and an intex framed kiddie pool which has been discontinued in the size I'd want.  For the life of me though, cannot remember where to find any of this.

From your experience, which route would you go?  Liner, paint or container and anyone know of any reasonably priced options?  

Any other advice is openly welcome!

TYIA!!

Paint?

Would you show your old pond or link to an old thread if it is shown there?

What volume and shape are you planning?

In-ground, above, or some of each?

Would you please put at least your state in your profile info?  Climate is a major consideration in pond building.

What Intex frame pool was discontinued?

Paint?

Would you show your old pond or link to an old thread if it is shown there?

What volume and shape are you planning?

In-ground, above, or some of each?

Would you please put at least your state in your profile info?  Climate is a major consideration in pond building.

What Intex frame pool was discontinued?

Paint- pond paint specifically.  I don't know if it works with plywood or if I'd have to plaster, something I'd need to look into.

Volume - I currently have about 250+ gallons - I'd want to go at LEAST that size, but would prefer to go a bit larger.

Shape - nothing fancy, it sit against a long stretch of wall - something that is more rectangle than square so it doesn't take up too much floor area in the center of the slab patio.

100% above ground.

I'm in San Diego, CA...north and inland of the county so temps are slightly warmer than what you'll see on accuweather for san diego city.

A rectangle framed kiddie pools was discontinued by intex.  I can still buy it, but since its been discontinued the price point has gone up and is not cost efficient anymore.

This is an older photo from last summer, and its unfinished, but for the most part, that's it.

IMAG0791_zps23a04576.jpg

I'd go container for ease.   The  300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank makes a fantastic goldfish pond.  Of course it's really ugly, but you can build a pretty surround.  It's very easy building, since the surround doesn't have to support anything but it's own weight and that of the cover.   You can also find more rectangular stock tanks like this.  I really like this one, although the picture doesn't match the description.  It actually looks like this.

Pond paint is only for use with perfect concrete.  

I got one of these for the fish pond in the aquaponics system I an setting up.  I'm not expecting it to last more than a few years even though I am building a surround, but if it works well, I will be upgrading to a larger system.  

I have no experience with tarps.  Lots of people use them.  I do know that EDPM is much easier to use than any other kind of pond liner.  

Another option would be to find a Laguna Ponds dealer in your area and have them order you one of these two ponds:

(127 gallons) http://www.lagunaponds.com/en_us/laguna-heavy-duty-preformed-pond-medium-pt795

(341 gallons) http://www.lagunaponds.com/en_us/laguna-heavy-duty-preformed-pond-180-x-120-x-60-cm-70-x-47-x-24-in-946-l-250-us-gallons

I have the 127 and really really enjoy it. (The volume is calculated, not the suggested one on the website.) 

It may be more expensive, so take your pick if you would rather use one of the ones listed in Sharon's post or one of these. Her's are just as good.

This site has some neat tubs.

http://visionproducts.us/vp12wp/?page_id=22

The large is 76x40x22 which comes out to 289.5 gallons. Not sure if it could handle the water pressure though as its intended for large snakes. I'd say with any tub design would be safe to build a support wall/frame around it anyways to keep it from bowing.

If it wasn't for the cold winters in TN, I'd love a simple above ground setup. Just not wanting to dig a hole in my backyard. I really like this stock tank pond...

Steve

Edited by SRT80

SRT, many people use above ground ponds in cooler places than TN.  I'm native to WI and broke out laughing when I read the phrase "cold winters in TN". 

You can use a stock tank, or build with cement blocks (with rebar), or timbers and line the the pond.   The "pond type" goldfish live happily under ice and are nuisance fish in the north central states and great lakes.  Many people keep fancies, particularly fantails under ice as well. There is a problem with your climate however.  I believe you are in the "ice storm belt."  Frozen ponds are fine, but open water receiving ice or sleet can turn a pond to slush, which is  32F, and can be fatal to goldfish.

Since you don't want your pond to be a feeding station for piscivores, you must make a cover for it.  In the winter, you can cover the cover with plastic.   This makes a "greenhouse" that can keep the pond quite warm and, more importantly, protects from icy precipitation.

Edited by shakaho

Hmmmm......I didn't know that.  I figured sometimes we do drop down to single digits and it could do harm.  I assumed the whole thing would just freeze if there wasnt a deeper section in the ground.

Guess I have some researching to do.  Cause I'd love one of those 300 gal. stock tanks off from my deck.  And sorry to hi jack your thread Reds12.

Steve

Edited by SRT80

While the round tanks are very attractive, I prefer rectangular.  If you need to get a fish out of a large round tank, it's a real challenge.  It's also harder to make a cover for a round tank.

Even though you don't want to dig, I suggest you set the stock tank into the ground six inches or so.  This makes the side height more comfortable and attractive.  You will have to dig to level the tank anyway.  You can also insulate the outside of the tank if you wish.  That will also decrease the water temperature a bit during the summer.

While the round tanks are very attractive, I prefer rectangular.  If you need to get a fish out of a large round tank, it's a real challenge.  It's also harder to make a cover for a round tank.

Even though you don't want to dig, I suggest you set the stock tank into the ground six inches or so.  This makes the side height more comfortable and attractive.  You will have to dig to level the tank anyway.  You can also insulate the outside of the tank if you wish.  That will also decrease the water temperature a bit during the summer.

Thank you all!  Steve, never hijacking, we all learn from the same information, so if you ask it, I'm still going to benefit from the answer you get :)

Insulating does SO much for above ground.  Obviously my climate here in San Diego doesn't get cold like yours, but I only have 1/4" insulating foam and it keeps the water pretty stable year round. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I'll update with my final outcome once I've figured it out!