Red Blood Vessels, Ragged fins

troy.telford

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dorsal colour looks slightly improved, as does his pelvic fins. I can see a "webbing" appearance that signifies healing.

It looks to be headed in the right direction.

Edited by Chai

I realize there are factors like diet, temp, the fish, and so on... But how quickly do goldfish heal from something like this? (Big ballpark figure). 4-8 months? Do they heal at anything resembling to human healing speeds?

I'm not sure of an exact figure by any means but I would be worried if it took four months. :o

They heal at a very increased rate when compared to us. The majority of the redness should hopefully be gone within the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Chai

I'm not sure of an exact figure by any means

I wouldn't believe an exact figure anyway. Exact figures are just too full of themselves, and they have no appreciation for the troubles of mere mortals.

Don't get me started with figures like π; that jerk can't even be rational.

• Helper

What an amazing turnaround for your little guy. Those were some terribly bloodshot fins and your attentiveness is really paying off.

I have one of those goldfish who retains visible blood vessels, too, but you're absolutely right that there is s big difference between the healthy vein look and uh oh territory.

What an amazing turnaround for your little guy. Those were some terribly bloodshot fins and your attentiveness is really paying off.

I have one of those goldfish who retains visible blood vessels, too, but you're absolutely right that there is s big difference between the healthy vein look and uh oh territory.

Yup. :)

My big girl has some visible veins and has never been ill.

My tiny lady who recently passed away (and I miss so much :cry ) was always "uh oh" bloodshot for years, it was just her genetics and sorta scared people on IG. :teehee

Fish gonna be fishy!

Edited by Chai

Oy.

Hospital tank: 100% wc, kana, metro, prime, and NO Prazi. Fish is active & looking pretty good.

ee3336413581665a39f30ca71e719622.jpg

b9ac269f1649d926344f34021b85d632.jpg

Main tank: 97% water change (ok, I may be fudging a bit. I scooped the fish into big bowels & changed all the water practical). Refilled tank, prime, 0.1% salt, waited 20 or so minutes to circulate & stabilize, moved healthy fish back into main tank. They're happy too.

One thing I want to add for anybody reading:

I can't say how glad I've been that I've taken almost daily pictures, in the same light, with the same camera. It takes the guesswork out of the 'is his condition improving?' and 'is is at least no worse?' observations.

Highly recommend the practice.

Edited by troy.telford

It's good to have some photographic documentation of the healing for something that generally terrifies a fish owner when they see it happening.

I'm happy he's progressing well, fingers crossed that it continues this way. :hug

By normal, I mean normal for this fish. They've been like Feb 13th's pictures for years.

I think tonight I'll go to the hassle of taking pictures with my DSLR.

It's more work than just using my iPhone, but the pictures are just so much better.

The full-res shots from the very first post are from my DSLR. You can zoom in and easily see sub-millimeter structures in the fins that aren't even visible to the eye.

Example:

6368b552a02408ae328caa67d65f1587.jpg

Super fine levels of detail are visible.

The pictures taken with my iPhone (such as last night's) are nowhere near as good, and can be grainy and fuzzy.

Edited by troy.telford