Sign in to follow this  
troy.telford

Red Blood Vessels, Ragged fins

100% water change, prime, and doses of MetroPlex and Kanaplex.

Looks like the tide has turned.

30ffffc2ed5d9d51a3450b1a4f50fb33.jpg

dbbca4436c703686d3d7ef5f0849e2f7.jpg

Edited by troy.telford

Looking much better!! Excellent job! :)

Looking really good. We're you doing prazi also before this or was that someone else? :peeka

No PraziPro yet. I have it, but you said to hold off. (None of my fish have ever been treated with PraziPro)

I say we start it. :D  S/he's looking really good and when you're using antibiotics that eliminates the need for salt.

Tomorrow is WC day, right?  Let's go with this schedule:

Sunday:  WC, dose Prime, kana, metro, prazi pro

Monday:  Dose Prime

Tues:  Same as Sunday

Wed:  Same as Monday

Thurs:  WC, dose Prime, kana, metro, NO prazi

Fri:  Dose Prime

Sat:  WC, dose Prime, kana, metro

Sunday:  Dose Prime

Monday:  We will make a plan then (which will include you reminding me how many days of kana and metro you've dosed up to then :teehee )

Let me know if you have any questions.  Are you treating the main tank with prazi?  You should.

Here is a schedule to follow for the main tank.  Personally I prefer the 7 day rounds . .  .

PRAZIQUANTEL PROTOCOLS

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS
Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.
Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.
Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.
Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.
Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.
Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.
Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.
Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.
Day 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.
Day 25: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.
Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.
Day 30: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

This is enough for 6 rounds, should you need to go out that far.
Some reminders: Prazipro should only have salt to 0.1% if you are using regular dose. If double dosing Prazipro, you can raise salt to 0.3%. If you are using Prazi powder or tablets, then salt is at 0.3%.

A. SEVEN DAY ROUNDS
Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.
Day 2: Add another dose of Prazi. We routinely double dose with Prazi for the first round in this protocol.
Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.
Day 8: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.
Day 12: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.
Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.
Day 19: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.
Day 22: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.
Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.
Day 29: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.
Day 33: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.
Day 36: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.
Day 40: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.          

How long have you had the fish?

I've had the Oranda for 4 1/2 years.

I've had my other two fish for about a year.

I think I'll go with 7-day rounds, as it's easy to keep track of (on Monday, do this, Tuesday, do that, etc.)  You also mentioned "should you need to go that far" with Prazi.  How would I know if I've gone through enough rounds?

Another question:  Does Prazi affect the tank's biofilter?  (Looks like the water changes will be often enough it may not be a problem, but I figured I'd better ask).

I also had an "aha" moment this afternoon. The request check list (that I used) asks:  Any new fish added to the tank? Well, the answer to that is no, I have added no new fish.

I did, however, add three new plants in early/mid January. More importantly:  I didn't know (or even consider) that they could carry an infection with them; I didn't know that I should treat the plants with dilute Chlorine bleach, or with Potassium Permanganate. Well, lesson learned...

It's not a sure thing for why my fish got sick, but it's an obvious mistake. (Well, it is now)

Edited by troy.telford

I've had the Oranda for 4 1/2 years.

I've had my other two fish for about a year.

OK, good.  The reason I asked is if they were new (I didn't think so but making sure) then we'd want to double dose Prazi and use 0.3% salt but since you'd have them so long I'd go with single dose prazi and 0.1% salt (the salt for the main tank only).

I think I'll go with 7-day rounds, as it's easy to keep track of (on Monday, do this, Tuesday, do that, etc.)  You also mentioned "should you need to go that far" with Prazi.  How would I know if I've gone through enough rounds?  Depends on how the fish react to the treatment.  Rarely do we need to go out to 6 rounds . . . 3-4 is more likely but we will decide that after the first few rounds.

Another question:  Does Prazi affect the tank's biofilter?  (Looks like the water changes will be often enough it may not be a problem, but I figured I'd better ask).  No, prazi does not affect the biofilter.

I also had an "aha" moment this afternoon. The request check list (that I used) asks:  Any new fish added to the tank? Well, the answer to that is no, I have added no new fish.

I did, however, add three new plants in early/mid January. More importantly:  I didn't know (or even consider) that they could carry an infection with them; I didn't know that I should treat the plants with dilute Chlorine bleach, or with Potassium Permanganate. Well, lesson learned...

It's not a sure thing for why my fish got sick, but it's an obvious mistake. (Well, it is now)    Been there, done that.  :teehee

Quick question before I dose the main tank with Prazi: do I need to remove the (carbon-bearing) filter cartridge from my Aqueon 55/75 hob filter first?

I wanted to say how much better your little darling is looking! Keep up the good work! 

100% water change, dosed with prime, metro, kana, and Prazi.

One problem: I measured out a dose of Prazi for a 55 gallon tank to the hospital tank. The problem: the hospital tank is 20 gal.

Given you mentioned the first round was "often" a double dose, is the hospital tank OK, or do I need to do another 100% water change with new doses (and the single dose of Prazi)

Behavior is normal, digestive tract is working on both ends. He's enjoying the few pebbles of gravel (which have been in hospital tank since Day 1.)

02e6c2f070b4d5a74e3ee931ec47d9f1.jpg

d23f940143e564c952a32547a23fd6de.jpg

Edited by troy.telford

Thanks for the update.  I've never used Prazi before, and don't want to hurt the guy; I've done enough damage already!

Praziquantel is gentle enough that a fish is rarely harmed an overdose of 7x and up. It is not recommended for obvious reasons, but I hope it makes you feel a bit more secure about the treatmen and its effects on your stressed fish.

While it would be really awesome if his fins clear up entirely, as the beginning of this discussion stated: his fins have had some bright red blood vessels for quite some time. Even if he is perfectly healthy, I wouldn't be surprised if it'll take time for the last blood vessels to shrink (if at all)

I'm thrilled he's recovering, and really hope to see his fins healed.

Edited by troy.telford