Sign in to follow this  
troy.telford

Red Blood Vessels, Ragged fins

I just treated my Oranda who looked like yours (although not quite as severe) with two antibiotics. My fish had all the symptoms of bacterial septicemia. There is also a viral septicemia which is deadly and highly contagious. I put my fish in a 10 gallon hospital tank that was pre-cycled, salted, extra aeration and ready to go. I treated with E-mycin and Kanaplex as directed.

I'm not a Vet. Hopefully someone with more authority than I can better help you.

My opinion though is you're dealing with the same illness. Best of luck to you!

It's really nice of you to chime in here. But on the D&D threads, the mods and helpers are the one diagnosing and treating while the rest of us offer encouragement. This is so that things don't get confusing. The mods converse behind the scene often times. I know you are new to Kokos and was just overing your 2 cents, but just thought I'd tell you how we do it here :)

I have a lid in place, so now I don't have to worry about fish jumping or the errant feline paw.

After some initial mopeyness I'll attribute to transplanting between tanks, the fish's behavior is back to normal. He's swimming all around the QT tank, top, bottom, each corner, etc.

I'll report back progress as time passes.  (sigh)... waiting is always the hard part...

Edited by troy.telford

Waiting for improvement is the worst.  Hang in there, we're all with you! 

Quick status update: fins are definitely getting redder. Fish's behavior not really that different.

db9b0622ae96b718fa77eab85573f396.jpg

I'm hoping the antibiotics just take time to take effect. I know they generally do in Humans.

I did get PraziPro from FedEx today. I haven't dosed with PraziPro as I have no idea how it interacts with the antibiotics.

You can dose prazi with the antibiotics but let's hold off for now. And it does typically take a good 48-72 hours for the antibiotics to kick in.

Did u test ammonia and nitrite?

:goodluck

:hug

Add a single dose of Prime. Are you supposed to dose Kanaplex daily? I haven't used it but it seems I remember that you are? :idont

You don't have a filter in the QT tank, right?

Single dose of prime: Easy.

Kanaplex and Metroplex can be combined, and they are both supposed to be dosed every 2 days for up to three weeks.

The only other thing in the tank is an air stone connected to a whisper 10 air pump.

OK, so today will be WC day.  Do a 100% WC or 2 large back to back WCs if you don't want to move him.  The reason I asked about the filter was I wanted to make sure you didn't have a filter with carbon.  :o

An air stone and large WCs is what I typically use also.  Fins crossed that things start to look better soon.  :D

It seems to me that when Jared contacted Seachem, they told him Kanaplex could be used up to 12 days.  Where did you read up to 3 weeks?  :idont

Ah.  OK.

MetroPlex instructions list 3 weeks "or until symptoms disappear".

KanaPlex instructions list "Maximum of 3 doses"  (So with semi-daily dosing, that makes it 6 days?)

So may brain read "3 weeks" on the metro, and then saw "3" on the kanaplex and registered 3 weeks.  Good catch.

I'm at work, so I'll do a 100 % water change when I get home.

We typically use MetroPlex for a minimum of 14 days, longer if symptoms persist.  And, like I said, Jared contacted Seachem regarding dosing of KanaPlex and they said that you can do 2 rounds (so 12 days) safely.  :D

I've given the tank a 100% water change, and new doses of MetroPlex and Kanaplex.

Helmut has a normal activity level. His fins don't look very different from yesterday.

:Jig: cool beans :nana

It is a rather vicious-looking infection when this occurs, but a lot of it has to do with the behaviour of the fish as well. If it is in good spirits and fighting, the rest is up to the medication.

It will hopefully begin to clear up soon, hang in there and update if you see anything changing. :bighug

Fish is still acting normal

* normal activity level

* still eating

Fins are looking more or less the same; I'll get a better picture with morning and better light. Or at least when I don't have a cat lying on me.

Ammonia is less than 0.25ppm; Nitrite is zero.

I've dosed the tank with Prime for the ammonia. I plan on doing a water change tomorrow.

Feb5.jpeg

Feb5-2.jpeg

I do wish I could get a better pic of his right side, but he was being unhelpful.

Edited by troy.telford

:teehee  They usually aren't very cooperative when it comes to pics. 

I think it's looking better.  I'll have to go back and look at the pics from a day or two ago but I think it's improving. 

I agree.  The fins are no longer clamped and the fish just looks happier.

The red spots at the extreme ends of his fins are much less red, as are the anal fins.

I don't have a pic of the anal fins from the past 48 hours, but they are visible in the pic in post #6 (Monday), where they were quite red.

They are looking a bit better this morning too.