* Ammonia Level(Tap) ~.25-.5

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0

* Ph Level, Tank 7.6

* Ph Level, Tap 8.8, settles to mid 7s after 24 hours

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit - API Master - drops

* Water temperature? ~74

* Tank size 44g bow - running for 2-3 months.

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Recently replaced penguin 330 hob with sunsun canister - rated 525 gph

* How often do you change the water and how much? Daily, ~50%. Filter replacement caused bump in nitrogen cycle, introduced tetra safestart plus, nitrites and nitrates increase rapidly right now.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 50% (test results are post WC)

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Three - two roughly 4-5 inches with tail, and the oranda at roughly 6 inches with trail.

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Natural Regulator, baking soda

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy soilent green, 2x daily

* Any new fish added to the tank? The oranda and ryukin are new as of 2-3 weeks ago.

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. No treatments

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or results Fins are still frayed from shipping, scales seem to be protruding slightly.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Floating at the top, sometimes flipping upside down...

Test results pre-WC:

PH 7.4-7.6

Ammonia .25

Nitrite 2-5

Nitrate 20-40

Kh 125

GH 70

We've had Mïllïe a few weeks. She didn't take shipping from Dandy Orandas well, and was a little floaty shortly after we received her, but on the advice of Ken at DO, we simply watched her water conditions and removed the bubbler from her QT tank and she came around.

She did very well for the next couple of weeks, and I'm an impatient newbie, so I put her in the main tank with my black moor and ryukin. She's been in there for a week and a half, and during that time she was okay, but I switched filters and despite my best efforts to keep the cycle going, bumped it somehow and the nitrite results were through the roof. That's when I went out and got some safe start.

I came home today and she was floating on the top, so I tested the water even though I knew I was going to have to do a big WC, because I wanted to have before and after results for my post.

I was planning on posting about Mïllïe anyway because I wasn't sure if her scales were slightly lifted when she came to me or not, and thought that might be a problem. My husband said they've been like that since we got her, but I don't know for sure.

Sorry for the terrible quality of these photos, they're the best I can do right now...

98140382-9981-4056-84A2-02FD97A4F378_zps

D1D19742-1D54-43A2-8479-0FDD9B111CE2_zps

2132B271-AEF8-4647-8647-3E79F4536015_zps

Also took a video that might make it a little clearer...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by newharmony7

Hi there,

So sorry to see that your oranda isn't doing too well. It does indeed look like she's pineconing. 

I'm sure a mod will be along asap to help you out. Are your other two fish showing similar signs?

If you can move Millie to QT and add Epsom salt (quarter of a teaspoon per 10 gallons), then she'll be all set for when the mods see this and can advise you on what you should do :)

I'll transfer her to QT now. Thanks, all.

Also forgot to mention there are two anubias, a crested java fern, and a few sprigs of anacharis in the tank as well, with black flourite sand.

The thing that's bothering me the most is that the nitrite is so high all the time. I've never had that happen before... =\

I do see some pineconing.  Alicia's suggestion of moving her to QT and adding Epsom salt is a good one.  Are the scales sticking out only on one side?  How is her behavior?  Is she active and eating?  :idont

As far as the nitrite in the main tank, please add sodium chloride/aquarium salt/canning salt (NOT Epsom) at 1 tsp per 10 gallons to offset the nitrite toxicity.  :D  If you're doing daily WCs in that tank (as you should), I wouldn't bother with the SafeStart as you're just dumping the bacteria right down the drain with all those WCs. 

Big temperature difference between main tank and QT, so she's acclimating right now in a tub. I hate putting her in such a small container, so I gave her some frozen blood worms and she is gobbling those up. No loss of appetite here, thank goodness.

As far as whether it's on both sides, it seems like it is, but it's more pronounced on her left. Here's another photo:

IMG_20150131_085220942_zpsmyss3tsf.jpg

Added aquarium salt to the main tank. Ryukin and moor are wondering where she went!

I haven't contacted him again as he only guarantees live delivery, and last time we emailed he said that she had never ha any issues while she was in his care.

I have melafix, Metronidazole, and an older bottle of Pimafix that came with the tank I got off craigslist - not sure if it's any good.

So it seems like the salt and pristine water conditions have really helped her. She's still floating at the top of the QT, but her scales have settled and she's not going upside down anymore!

90D4810C-C83C-4AA6-A1F9-1207ECCCD8C5_zps

EC512097-A662-4027-B8BC-65F6DE02CEDB_zps

Have you uprooted your live plants to make sure you don't have some root rot?  It could definitely be contributing to your nitrite levels.

Hope your Oranda keeps on the mend!  She's beautiful :)

Thanks!

The plants are very new. I think I actually got them after I got the oranda and ryukin... I would hope that they aren't rotting.. I did have a sprig of anacharis that was looking pretty grubby, so I took that out. Nitrite this morning was 0. =]

Millie has come around nicely and has been acting like I NEVER feed her! 

I put her back in with the others today and will keep everyone posted.

While I'm on the topic of Millie though, I'm wondering what I can do to repair damaged fins?

Mïllïe took a sudden turn and passed away yesterday, I just thought you all should know.

Thank you for your help. It seems there was more wrong than met the eye. I'm still in shock, wide awake at 3 am beating myself up even though I know there's no point now.

Thanks for trying to help me help her. I miss her so much and everything is so raw, but I'll feel better with time.

*hugs*