Sign in to follow this  
Rhian

Bent and kind of torn looking tail fin

My pearlscale is looking a little banged up lately. I just noticed it these last few days and I figured I would keep an eye on it to see if anything improved or got worse. It doesn't seem to have changed at all.

151_zpsapc9nx8l.jpg

As you can see on the picture there's also some weird looking white splotches developing on the tail too. I couldn't get a good picture of it, but the pectoral fin on the opposite side also has a tear down the middle.

I did recently have a weird cycle bump. I don't know if maybe I over cleaned the filter or what, but my ammonia jumped for a few days up close to(but not quite?) 1ppm with nitrites at about .25ppm.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank): 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank): I have a hard time reading this one, but it looks between 10-20-ish to me
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap): 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap): 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap): 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.4
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?: the API freshwater master kit liquid test
      • * Water temperature?: 24C
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?: 55 gallons, just about 2 months and the fish have been in there about a month
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?: Aquaclear 110 and 70
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?: roughly every 4-6 days, and usually as much as I can get out (I'd guess about 75-80%)
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?: 3 days and about 75%
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size?: 2, my pearlscale is about, uhh 2.5-3 inches? and an oranda/fantail that's, ugh, about 4-5 inches?
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?: Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often?: Repashy Super Green, frozen foods (blood worms, glass worms, brine shrimp), omega one pellets and the occasional omega one veggie round and they get about 4 feedings a day
      • * Any new fish added to the tank?: no
      • * Any medications added to the tank?: no
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.: none
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?: frayed fins
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?: no

What a cute pearlie :) 

Have you got anything in your tank that the tail could get caught on and ripped as the fish swam away from it? Have any of the other fish shown any of these symptoms?

That bump on the tail looks like something my fish developed temporarily when the nitrites rose in the tank.  Can you get a closer shot of the tail fin?  He's a beautiful fish, by the way :)

I am a terrible photographer, so these may not be more helpful.

172_zps5gurepvw.jpg

173_zpss7qqfycd.jpg

178_zpscxcm8mvt.jpg

My other fish doesn't show the same signs, however when I first got it there was an obvious red streak in its tail. It never fully went away, nor did it seem to get any worse. The water it came out of was pretty gross, so I figured it was from being in bad quality water for awhile. Here's a picture of it:

181_zpsmqoalpi0.jpg

As for the tank, there are a couple of pieces of driftwood in there and a few plants (two anubias as well as a random handful of water sprite). I have a small 10 inch bubble wall as well that they do occasionally shove themselves under in their attempt for food (there's about a 2 inch gap from the gravel):

183_zpswkhw0tts.jpg

The lights aren't usually like that the tank is right by a window so I don't bother with lights for the plants, I was trying to get better light to take pictures of my pearlscale. Haha, it didn't work out for me.

I can't tell from the pictures, but splits and white blotches can be caused by Flukes.  I'd like a better picture, but it might be time for Prazi?

I hope your Pearlscale feels better.

Just thought I'd leave an update. I don't know what happened, but my oranda/fantail died last night. It was eating like crazy and swimming all over the place like normal yesterday. :( Kind of freaked out now, I definitely will not be moving my teeny little ranchu over to that tank anytime soon.

I'm going to try and find some prazi, are there any other medications that work as well? I haven't found any on the websites of the bigger pet stores near me, I guess I can always order it online if I need to but who knows how long that'll take.

Oh, I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful oranda/fantail.

Prazi is what you need for your other fish. So that you get an idea of what to look for: in the US here are some of the prazi products:

http://www.aquameds.com/medications/aqua-prazi/#.VM0V1i7UFWo

http://www.hikariusa.com/solutions/healthaid/prazipro/

Someone from Canada can chime in on what is available there and where to get it.

You'll also want to get some salt with no additives whatsoever. It could be sea salt, aquarium salt, or pickling salt. Just make sure there are no additives.

Let us know when you have the prazi and salt.

I'm this happened.  Definitely, get the salt and prazi and let us know what is going on once the prazi is in the water.

Okay, I found some Prazipro and some kosher salt that says it only has sea salt in it. How much salt should I add to the water?

I'm sorry for the passing of your fish earlier. :hug

I've done anywhere from 3/4 to 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water with my water temp. raised to 79ish with good water flow from an air stone.  Then about 10 to 12 hours later I'd raise the salt intake by double.  

Let's wait and see if a Mod suggests differently for your situation on your beautiful Pearlscale. 

Sorry, my computer crashed today and I just got it back up.  Add the Prazi and about 1 Teaspoon of pre dissolved Kosher Salt per gallon of water.  You can find the Prazi Protocol Schedules just below my signature.  I like the 7-day rounds :)

Alright, I've put the salt and the prazi in the water. The weird white spot on my pearlscale's tail is now a small hole, so I hope this will help heal that up.

Hope your fish is feeling better now :)