Sign in to follow this  
troy.telford

Aquarium Canopies & Oxygen Levels

I have a 55 gallon tank, with three adult goldfish. The top being roughly 12"x48", and a reinforcement brace in the center.

I recently got clearance sale on new aquarium lights (with tubes), so I grabbed 'em.

I want to start planting my tank (using the Low-Tech approach). That and to see if I can bring my diatoms under control (After 4 years... still there; but that's a topic for a different section).

Anyway, my tank came with Aqueon's "Deluxe Full Hoods", and I punched holes to hold two Aqueon 55/75 HOB filters (one came with the tank).

With the new lights, I have to switch hoods, as the old ones don't have enough glass to allow my new lights to work.

So... looking at something new to cover my tank, and keep the lights from falling in.  (They just rest on top of a glass canopy).

One of the HOB's died, and I had planed on removing the HOB other after the canister had been in a couple of months (for noise reasons)... but...

The thought occurred to me that with the fairly minimal openings needed for the canister, a glass top may not provide enough air exchange to keep the water oxygenated... especially in summer, when my tank's temperature gets to around 78 F or so.

Am I just being paranoid, or do I need to give more consideration into my tank's aeration?

A cover on your tank (unless it is a screen) will limit gas exchange, keep the tank a little warmer, and decrease water loss from evaporation.  I think most people who cover their tanks also aerate the tank.

^ I definitely do.

Three to four high-powered airstones should be just fine for your aquarium in the hot summer months. I used to run a tank-long wall of bubbles in my 55 while it was hot, for example. Just make sure there is an opening at a part of your glass canopy, and that you're well-aerated, and you'll do just fine.  

Is this a 55 gallon tank? I guess my opinion on the matter would depend on your stocking level. 

I have the Aqueon glass Versa Tops on all my tanks, with and without airstones, and I have never had a problem with oxygen levels.  One of these is a 55 with the same dimensions as yours.  You can also trim the back strip to leave a larger opening for air to enter :)

I made my own tank covers by cutting 1/8" glass to fit the top of the tank and left about 2-3" space before the HOB filter.

I have 1 air stone in the center.

...and the tank is a 55 gallon.

I normally don't cover my tanks, but with a 2 year old in my house I had no choice with one of them...I'm sure the fish wouldn't appreciate lego people floating around with them.  

I bought eggcrate lighting panels from home depot...I think it was a little over $10 for a 2x4 ft piece and it can be cut to size with scissors.  I've since used the left overs to help anchor down some plants with limited roots until they have time to grow.

Egg%20Crate%20-%20White_zpsjhljznb0.jpg

You can also trim the back strip to leave a larger opening for air to enter :)

Excellent idea. I am going for quiet, and I've never seen a quiet air stone.

I normally don't cover my tanks, but with a 2 year old in my house I had no choice with one of them...I'm sure the fish wouldn't appreciate lego people floating around with them.  

I bought eggcrate lighting panels from home depot...I think it was a little over $10 for a 2x4 ft piece and it can be cut to size with scissors.  

Great idea; I have a similar (though feline) concern.

Your idea has one flaw you didn't know about :yikes :  from the new aquarium lamp's manual:

"This appliance was designed for use over a glass aquarium cover or panel.  DO NOT USE OVER "OPEN" WATER."

I'm an electrical engineer. Having taken a quick look inside the lamp, I'm going to heed that warning.

• The lights aren't sealed; humidity will get in, corrosion will be accelerated. Time makes fools of us all and I try to play it safe with AC power and water.
  • My fish will splash water on them

So... I think this is what I'll do:

I keep my tank about even with the bottom of the frame, which would leave around 1" of space between the water's surface and the glass.

That works out to about 576 cubic inches, or 1/3 of a cubic foot of air.

So, I think I'll cut a hole in the back of one of the slits, so that I can bolt on a 40mm Computer cooling fan blowing 'dry' air into the gap between the hood & water surface.

• I'm looking for functional and silent. For $19 or so you can get a fan that creates ~18 dB (about as loud as a quiet canister filter) of noise.  It's rated at just under 5 Cubic feet of air per minute, and would exchange all of the air in that little space about 15 times per minute. A 2nd fan will easily to get 30x per minute.. That should be more than enough air exchange; it may even add evaporative cooling for summer.
  • The fan is 5V DC. at that low of a voltage, it's not really dangerous unless you are trying really hard to hurt something.
  • I realize moisture from the tank might damage the fan(s), but since it's pulling in dry air I'm not too worried.
Edited by troy.telford

You can also prop the front portion of the canopy up or just leave it all the way open to let in more air.  Like at night, when the plants reverse respiration, leave the front lids up :idont

Fans??? 

Fans??? 

Yeah, I don't think fans are necessary, either  :twocents

You can also trim the back strip to leave a larger opening for air to enter :)

Excellent idea. I am going for quiet, and I've never seen a quiet air stone.

I bought eggcrate lighting panels from home depot...I think it was a little over $10 for a 2x4 ft piece and it can be cut to size with scissors.  

Great idea; I have a similar (though feline) concern.

Your idea has one flaw you didn't know about :yikes :  from the new aquarium lamp's manual:

"This appliance was designed for use over a glass aquarium cover or panel.  DO NOT USE OVER "OPEN" WATER."

I'm an electrical engineer. Having taken a quick look inside the lamp, I'm going to heed that warning.

• The lights aren't sealed; humidity will get in, corrosion will be accelerated. Time makes fools of us all and I try to play it safe with AC power and water.
  • My fish will splash water on them

So... I think this is what I'll do:

I keep my tank about even with the bottom of the frame, which would leave around 1" of space between the water's surface and the glass.

That works out to about 576 cubic inches, or 1/3 of a cubic foot of air.

So, I think I'll cut a hole in the back of one of the slits, so that I can bolt on a 40mm Computer cooling fan blowing 'dry' air into the gap between the hood & water surface.

• I'm looking for functional and silent. For $19 or so you can get a fan that creates ~18 dB (about as loud as a quiet canister filter) of noise.  It's rated at just under 5 Cubic feet of air per minute, and would exchange all of the air in that little space about 15 times per minute. A 2nd fan will easily to get 30x per minute.. That should be more than enough air exchange; it may even add evaporative cooling for summer.
  • The fan is 5V DC. at that low of a voltage, it's not really dangerous unless you are trying really hard to hurt something.
  • I realize moisture from the tank might damage the fan(s), but since it's pulling in dry air I'm not too worried.

The light definitely did come with a disclaimer, but I honestly think its more of a way to cover their butts should they need to.  In theory, humidity is an issue, but with summers here that get upwards of 110 and an average humidity of 80%+, I've not seen much more than a little mineralization on the acrylic shield of the light.  I'm also less concerned since mine is LED, than I would be with water splashing onto a fluorescent.

Fans??? 

Yeah, I don't think fans are necessary, either  :twocents

Agreed.  Besides, adding air above the water between it and a glass cover isn't going to be extremely helpful if you're running a canister filter due to the lack of surface agitation. I'm also not convinced a fan would be any quieter than adding an airstone, which seems like the simplest solution to your concern.  Add rubber feet, a felt mat and a level surface and you can get some really quiet pumps out there.   

My goldfish go completely apes**t for bubbles, so for me, the extra noise is totally worth it though :)  Its all about personal preferences.  Nothing stopping you from taking the fan off if you try it and don't like it, so if you really think it'll work for you, give it a shot!

My goldfish go completely apes**t for bubbles, so for me, the extra noise is totally worth it though :)

I've always considered "completely apes**t" when the creature collects its feces and flings it at you.

The mental image of a goldfish doing that seems strangely plausible to me...   :yikes

My goldfish go completely apes**t for bubbles, so for me, the extra noise is totally worth it though :)

I've always considered "completely apes**t" when the creature collects its feces and flings it at you.

The mental image of a goldfish doing that seems strangely plausible to me...   :yikes

My goldfish apes**t bears an uncanny resemblance to this:   

haha

You can also prop the front portion of the canopy up or just leave it all the way open to let in more air. Like at night, when the plants reverse respiration, leave the front lids up :idont

I do this with my glass lids. I use a vegetable clip and use the suction cup to the lid top and the plastic handle sits on lip of the frame.

This way it stays attached to the glass and keeps about lid opened about an inch

My tank used to run warm in summer but now it stays around 70 or only few degrees higher. But not higher than 73.

For a quieter room, I put my air pump in the closet and just run the tubing out under the closed door and out into the room.  Then, I run it along the floor to the aquarium and just tuck it into the groove between the carpet and wall moulding.

Mine actually does that.  :donthit:

Well, I think I'll try an air pump again.