T5 lighting?

Reds12

I've recently increased the plant load in my 40B planted tank, but the finnex stingray I currently have on it won't be enough now that have it all together.

I'm going to move the stingray over to a different tank, so I don't really want to buy another one of the same to accommodate the lighting.  Any suggestions on a lower priced T5 LO lamp?  I definitely don't want to spend $150 on something I hadn't planned for ahead of time!

My local Petsmart had a 50% clearance sale on Aqueon T5 lamps (with bulbs). I picked up two 48" lamps (1 Full Spectrum Daylight and 1 Colormax) for $80.

Considering the tubes alone cost what I paid for the tubes and fixtures, it was a pretty good deal, IMO.

What are you planning on growing? A Finnex Planted Plus would work for low light, but I suspect nearing the top of your budget.

I tend to lean towards swords, but I don't have anything I absolutely have to have so I'm open to accommodating my lighting.  I'd like to keep it somewhat low tech, but want to be able to keep my options open for down the road.

I also have a supply of anacharis growing in there to attempt to keep up with my goldies in another tank, so being able to have strong growth on that would be preferred.

What are you planning on growing? A Finnex Planted Plus would work for low light, but I suspect nearing the top of your budget.

I tend to lean towards swords, but I don't have anything I absolutely have to have so I'm open to accommodating my lighting.  I'd like to keep it somewhat low tech, but want to be able to keep my options open for down the road.

I also have a supply of anacharis growing in there to attempt to keep up with my goldies in another tank, so being able to have strong growth on that would be preferred.

If you want to keep options open and stay within budget then I would look at a multi-bulb unit (T5/T5HO) with two or more switches. :)

I have an Odyssea brand T5-HO, and love it to pieces!  It was pretty inexpensive, too!

I'm glad you brought this up!  I saw them on sale for less than $50!

When I ran a high light tank, I purchased the quad t5 (with moonlights).  It has two separate switches to control two lights at a time, and was overall, a great system.  I decided to switch to a lower light setup, which is the only reason that I'm not using it now. :)