Sign in to follow this  
LadyK

Help Lowering Nitrates

(I wrote the below this morning, and rushed off to a meeting without posting it.  So if I am repeating or contradicting what DP wrote, I did it without reading his post.)

I'm not questioning your observation at all, but do you know the shock was from a change in nitrate and not something else?  High nitrate is used by both aquarists and those who have technical koi ponds as an indicator that "stuff" is building up in the water and a water change is needed.   So the concentrations of lots of stuff are high in a tank with high nitrates, and changes in the concentrations of those other substances maybe the direct cause of the shock.

I have seen many reports of shock from rapid decrease of nitrate without any scientific evidence that this occurs.  The only mechanism that I have seen offered for "nitrate shock" is that high nitrate levels lower the pH and also lower the buffering capacity of the water.  We know pH shock occurs when we move a fish into water that is very different in pH, particularly if we are changing pH in the wrong direction.  For goldfish, a sudden drop in pH is usually much more shocking than an increase.

I should just add that unless there are high levels of ammonia, nitrite, or chlorine (which are deadly).  It's best to do a series of partial water changes before doing a 100% water change on a tank with really bad water. 

Yeah so I must of just remembered wrong my mistake.

I did the 90% water change, cleaned the filters and then checked the water, everything is good but nitrates were at 5 ppm.

Should I wait a few days to change the water again or do it tomorrow?

Check the nitrate in the tank each day and tell us the results.  Once we see how fast it accumulates we can recommend a water change schedule.

Alright so to update, I have officially moved now and my fish are still at my parents (like I said no dead line to move them)

I introduced two mats of java fern and I bought an additional fluval 406 but it was defective so now I have to contact amazon to get a new one. Ugh

So pretty sure my battle with the nitrates is most likely due to a lack of filtration because we all know those aqueon HOB filters are crap.

None the less I forgot to bring a sample of the water to test it so I am not sure what the nitrates got to currently.

But my question is then if the nitrate level doesn't shock them, am in the clear to move them to my apartment? 

And I am not sure if I should start a new thread but I checked the water at my apartment and everything is good except ammonia is .50ppm

So would using prime for water changes take care of that and it isn't an issue, or do I need to do something else?

I love my Aqueon HOB's. I have 4.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I have a smaller one from an old tank so it doesn't have much room for extra media. I suppose the larger ones would have more space but in my experience they are pretty narrow. To each his own I suppose!

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I have a smaller one from an old tank so it doesn't have much room for extra media. I suppose the larger ones would have more space but in my experience they are pretty narrow. To each his own I suppose!

No worries. I was not offended. I know there are many members who love Aqueons.

My 406 was annoying as heck, tune-up kit really helped. The fluval may not have been entirely defective, they just seem to have outdated parts compared to the nicer tune-up upgraded parts. :)

Alright so to update, I have officially moved now and my fish are still at my parents (like I said no dead line to move them)

I introduced two mats of java fern and I bought an additional fluval 406 but it was defective so now I have to contact amazon to get a new one. Ugh

So pretty sure my battle with the nitrates is most likely due to a lack of filtration because we all know those aqueon HOB filters are crap.

None the less I forgot to bring a sample of the water to test it so I am not sure what the nitrates got to currently.

But my question is then if the nitrate level doesn't shock them, am in the clear to move them to my apartment? 

And I am not sure if I should start a new thread but I checked the water at my apartment and everything is good except ammonia is .50ppm

So would using prime for water changes take care of that and it isn't an issue, or do I need to do something else?

The nitrate level change will not shock them unless the nitrate level is in the hundreds.  Prime will keep the ammonia safe.   

Have a plastic tote or smaller aquarium available when you bring the fish.  Check the pH in the old and new water after the fish arrive.  If the pH is substantially different in the old and new water, report to us, and we will help with adapting the fish to the change.  

My 406 was annoying as heck, tune-up kit really helped. The fluval may not have been entirely defective, they just seem to have outdated parts compared to the nicer tune-up upgraded parts. :)

Oh no I ordered one from amazon prime that was used and listed like new and there was literally a leak in bottom right leg in the back! There wasn't any cracks I could see, but didn't find out until I set it all up, so that sucked. They also sent broken clips for the intake and output parts as well as no suction cups. 

But good to know about the tune-up kit for the future!

The nitrate level change will not shock them unless the nitrate level is in the hundreds.  Prime will keep the ammonia safe.   

Have a plastic tote or smaller aquarium available when you bring the fish.  Check the pH in the old and new water after the fish arrive.  If the pH is substantially different in the old and new water, report to us, and we will help with adapting the fish to the change.  

Alright awesome!

And yes I have a spare 20 gallon I am gonna set them up in for the day while I move and set up the tank.

The PH is the same so shouldn't be a problem. Thanks so much, you all have been really helpful!  :)