fine yesterday dead today. wtf happened

I had 2 small goldfish. Both in 1 gallon bowls. I changed the water every 2 days. The fish were doing great.always active, ate, never showed ammonia irritation. Last night I changed their water again and I'd do 100 percent changes. Within hours both were dead. This seemed extremely odd to me considering they live in 2 separate bowls. I checked the ammonia its 0. The nitrite is 0 and the nitrate is 0. The pH is 7-7.2. I have a pool test kit and checked for chlorine bc I thought perhaps my declornator didn't work but results show 0. I have a fish one that I'm going to try after I type this since maybe the pool one isn't designed for lower levels. But I have no idea what the heck happened. Does anyone Have an idea?

Sorry to hear about your fish. If everything truly tests at zero I really don't have a clue.  Is it tap water or well water? I doubt it was oxygen supply but it is a possibility.

I'm sorry that they died, and I'm not sure what the cause was if indeed your results were as you say. But a 1 gallon bowl is not an appropriate home for a goldfish (or any fish I can think of, come to mention it). Here at Koko's, it's recommended 20 gallons per fish, or minimum 20g for the first fish and 15g for every additional fish

Edited by Lis.

Did I perhaps put them into shock? The room they were in is kind of chilly so when I do their water I usually make it a little warmer for them like room temp. They never reacted to it before and last night they were swimming around as usual they didn't seem to be in shock fro. What I could tell.

Yes I know 1 gallon was too small my large tank was what they were going in in the spring. Its snowing where I'm at and there's no way I could get my hose upstairs into my bedroom with my windows sealed off due to the cold not to mention how cold the water would be if it wasn't frozen. The fish were only a little bigger than an inch and never showed any physical signs of ammonia burn in the sligjtest . I checked daily because I had a fish die from that before and I wasn't going to let that happen again.

The only thing I can think of is that the room their in is kind of cold so their bowls were recently moved closer to the outside wall and further from the heater. So what I'm thinking is perhaps since they were in warmer water and put close to an outside wall which is colder at night it got really cold and they weren't by the heater so the water cooled too fast and sent them into shock

Did I perhaps put them into shock? The room they were in is kind of chilly so when I do their water I usually make it a little warmer for them like room temp. They never reacted to it before and last night they were swimming around as usual they didn't seem to be in shock fro. What I could tell.

The maximum temperature change should Ideally be no more than 2 degrees higher/lower. I'm wondering if it was too warm from what they were used to and they did end up in shock.

If you decide to get more, I would suggest keeping them in the aquarium. To change the water, you can haul fish-only buckets of water, you can buy one of these to help: http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC Or you can make one with parts from a hardware store using a cheap fountain pump. Bowls are never an appropriate place to keep a fish for a long period.

Edited by ChelseaM

They would have only been in there for 2 months tops. I really can't haul a bucket of water up my stairs nor do I think that would pump up them and up and over the tank . but thanks anyways if I end up getting more it will be in summer. The change was prob a few more than 2 degrees but I had been doing that since I got them and there was never an issue before. And I know for certain they didn't go I to shock until at least 1 hr after the water change because I was sitting in the room they were in . I'm thinking it had to be the water cooling fast that did it

I wouldn't be quick to accept it was a water temperature difference kind of thing. If they had a problem with the temperature they would have bottom sat, which the OP says was not the case. Before I knew anything about goldfish keeping I would subject them to water changes that changed the temperature of a small pond I had by a good 20 degrees or more. And that was an instant change. They would immediately bottom sit for a good while but none of them ever died.

Edited by DieselPlower

It's possible aside from temperature shock, that there was a contaminant in the water that you couldn't test for, or something internal that they had which took them down. I'm sorry for your losses, and I truly hope you don't give up on goldfish. When you have the time for a bigger tank and all it requires, we will be here for you! :hug

(You could also hope to get a nice big tank off Craigslist :ehh )

Edited by Chai

Just throwing this out there... Is it possible someone in the household who is not a fan of the fish, or maybe even a child, put someonehing into the tank that killed them? Like bleach for example. Just throwing it out there because it has happened before.

To avoid shocking the fish, you should always check that the temperature and pH of the new water matches that of the water in the fishes tank before doing a large water change.

Just throwing this out there... Is it possible someone in the household who is not a fan of the fish, or maybe even a child, put someonehing into the tank that killed them? Like bleach for example. Just throwing it out there because it has happened before.

I fed my sister's fish a pencil lead when I was little and it died  :donthit:

So sorry for the loss of both of your goldfish :( 

Just wondering... If you do get more fish in the spring or summer and put them in the bigger tank upstairs, wont you run into the same problem next winter with changing the water for water changes like the problem you say you have now with not being able to carry buckets upstairs or run a hose up their either? :idont

The maximum temperature change should Ideally be no more than 2 degrees higher/lower. I'm wondering if it was too warm from what they were used to and they did end up in shock.

That is not true, Mikey.  Goldfish outdoors regularly experience daily temperature swings of 10oF during the summer and much more during spring and fall.  As DP pointed out, a change of that much all at once could make a fish pout a bit, but no more.  Now if you took a fish adapted to 80 degrees and dropped it in  40 degree water you would get a temperature shock.  Goldfish are comfortable in temperatures very similar to what humans like.  Moving from a chilly room temperature to a warm room temperature won't bother a goldfish.  My fish experience a bigger change than that swimming from the bottom to the top of the pond in the summer.

I suspect the temp change alone was not enough, although a 1 gallon bowl is always going to be more vulnerable.  Really, an combination of things could have happened in such a small container. You have no margin for error :(

Do you have a bathroom upstairs??  You can get an adapter at any hardware store and run a regular garden house from the faucet to your tank...... an idea for when you have the bigger tank. You just remove the aerator and put the adapter on instead.  The hose connects to that like it would to an outside faucet.

I'm so sorry you lost both fish! :(

Edited by CindiL

I fed my sister's fish a pencil lead when I was little and it died  :donthit:

My son tried feeding my fish cornstarch recently since its also in a yellow container just like their food.  :|  I don't know if they would have died, but it would have been a giant mess to clean up at least.