Aquarium infront of Window

Acro

I have the perfect spot to place a new 75 gallon aquarium.  The only problem, is that this perfect spot is in front of a window.

Please offer suggestions and experience on how I can make this work.

I live in Georgia (USDA zone 8b, to give an idea of temperatures outside).

In the summer, our tank is in front of the window.  We move it back in the winter because the window lets in a lot of cold air.  Obviously, we have no heat issues, although virtually 24 hours of daylight means that the tank invariably turns green.  Since we travel for at least 2 weeks every summer and don't have anyone to check on the fish, the green is kind of a good thing as Newton is effectively ponded for the time we are gone.

The only dicey part is getting the tank degreened in the fall.  One year, we just let it go and the dramatic fall-off in light meant a dramatic die-off of algae and/or uptake of oxygen in the tank. 

I kept my tank in front of the window for the fall of this year. Like Susanne's, it developed green water due to lots of sunlight.

To keep the tank from being bombarded 100%, you can always get a background for the aquarium and a dark lid. It should reduce the amount of light coming in, but doesn't eliminate the problem completely.

We had a tank in the corner of the room, next to three windows. While the sun rose on that side, it only went straight into the tank during winter. I had a black poster board that i either taped to the one side, or hung on to block the sun. I did remove it when i felt like it :teehee and it seemed to help. I didn't do much about the top of the tank, but i imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to rig something up. I even wonder if you could apply window tint, or even black aquarium background, to the lid? :hmm

• Admin

That's my preferred location.  I don't have to use an aquarium light.

My tanks always wound up in front of the Windows... The only issues I had was algae.... I just wiped it down... Plus TD always Tinted the back glass to keep the sun out :)

Depends on the window and if you are growing a lot of live plants.  My 60 gallon tropical tank is in front of a window.  But I have sun blocking drapes. They are open part of the day and closed the rest so the tank does not get to much light in the summer. In the winter they are open all the time.  No green water and not enough algae to bother me or the plants.  But great for my algae eating fish to graze on.

I have a tank in front of a window year round.  I have a background and a glass hood/ strip light on the tank.  I also put a piece of foam board (like for school projects) between the tank and the window for insulation.  The tank also has a heater for the winter.  I have no problems with algae.  But, this is partly due to Bubbles, the BN Pleco you sent me  :teehee

My tanks always wound up in front of the Windows... The only issues I had was algae.... I just wiped it down... Plus TD always Tinted the back glass to keep the sun out :)

You must feel lucky to have a glass man for a husband. :)

• Admin

You must feel lucky to have a glass man for a husband. :)

Window Tinter hun Window tinter :rofl

My tank is by the window, and yes I do get a bit of algae, but nothing that a quick wipe during water changes can't fix. Also, I live in England so don't have to worry too much about excessive sunlight anyway  :Dancing:

• 1 month later...

seachem flourish excel (liquid carbon) helps a lot.  I've considered a c02 set up but haven't gone there yet.  I also keep the insulated drapes closed part of the time.

I have a 75gal with windows all across the back and on one end.

I live in the Midwest.  Tank is in west window.