Dwarf puffers are well established now :) Here's a feeding video

bubbles22

I've had the hardest time trying to feed these little guys . . . 

Starting with frozen bloodworms. Only one of the three would even touch them. Even then, it seemed a bit difficult for them to eat. I noticed they'd suck on them rather than actually eat the whole thing. 

I tried ramshorn snails next. This was successful but the dead snails and empty shells everywhere was a bit of an eyesore. 

Finally, I called over 10 local pet stores in my area and found one that sold live blackworms! They're a hit. I bought a dollar's worth and have been keeping them in a small container. I feed them a tiny speckle of fish food daily and change their water daily. They're kept in a small tupperware container at room temp and they've been doing great for a few weeks now. 

Hope you guys enjoy it! Thanks for all the help. Though the forum is goldfish-oriented, the advice on puffers in this section is spot on :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE your DPs!  I've kept dwarf puffs on and off over the years, and also Figure Eights (though the brackish thing is a pain in the rear end).  I'm so glad you found live blackworms -- when I was reading the first post, I was all set to reply that those were a must.  My last DPs ate those almost exclusively, and turned their snooty little noses up at anything frozen (thawed).

You're right, snails make a huge mess and those shell bits are almost impossible to vacuum up.  Since DPs don't have issues with their teeth overgrowing, you really don't have to worry about giving them "crunch" in their diet anyway.

I would treat mine occasionally with live brine shrimp just for variety.  It's a hoot to watch them swim after the BS and gobble them up!  It's funny, I would never give live food to my goldfish for fear of introducing parasites and weirdness, but puffers seem to handle live foods with no problems.  Probably because they're not genetically effed-up like our beloved goldies. ;)

LOVE LOVE LOVE your DPs!  I've kept dwarf puffs on and off over the years, and also Figure Eights (though the brackish thing is a pain in the rear end).  I'm so glad you found live blackworms -- when I was reading the first post, I was all set to reply that those were a must.  My last DPs ate those almost exclusively, and turned their snooty little noses up at anything frozen (thawed).

You're right, snails make a huge mess and those shell bits are almost impossible to vacuum up.  Since DPs don't have issues with their teeth overgrowing, you really don't have to worry about giving them "crunch" in their diet anyway.

I would treat mine occasionally with live brine shrimp just for variety.  It's a hoot to watch them swim after the BS and gobble them up!  It's funny, I would never give live food to my goldfish for fear of introducing parasites and weirdness, but puffers seem to handle live foods with no problems.  Probably because they're not genetically effed-up like our beloved goldies. ;)

Ooh! I will have to find live brine shrimp now *^* I love watching them eat. Thanks for the suggestion  :thumbs:

Squeeeee! I love those bitty puffers so much :wub: what size tank are they in? Watching them eat is so funny :teehee thanks for updating :)

"I love their little mysterious looking eyes :teehee"

I have wondered how exactly to describe their eyes.....THAT IS IT!  It's like each eye has a mind of it's own looking around...then BOOM..they zero in on something!!!!

I have never kept any but I would like to! (Hhmmm, extra tank stored in back room!!)

Edited by Jeana727

• 2 months later...

Love your puffers :)  I have two and get a real kick out of them. :teehee   Mine eat snails and one will eat frozen brine shrimp.   When I first got them I was so stressed out because I couldn't find something to feed them and they were just babies I think.   I now just put the snails in a shrimp feeding container because I got tired of vacuuming up the shells.  I have a small tank that I breed ramshorns in, which is definitely not my favourite tank.  Glad you found black worms.