Sign in to follow this  
210 Oranda

Oranda issues.. Newbie doing everything wrong..! :(

I feed Hikari frozen spirulina brine shrimp.   :idont  It's not a staple food but to use it as a "treat" like you said is fine.  I feed it a couple times a week along with blood worms (but I'm not feeding just one fish so i defrost a few cubes at a time :teehee ).

Hi again!!..

Im in a little situation.. perhaps you don't remember where Im at but I'll try to explain..

I have the calico & the orange oranda (survivors from Petsmart) in my new 125G.. They've both survived flukes, dropsy & who knows what else that killed the orther two..

They already finished their QT month of salt & prazi.. and the 12-14 days of antibiotics..

Today will be a week since I started the 125G tank so I was thinking of doing its first water change.. 

First.. How much water do I change ???..

Im mean, this thing is huge and the PH from tap (7.4) doesn't match the PH of the tank (8.4).. baking soda doesn't seem to help to rise the PH & we both know I cannot have 125G of water in buckets aging overnight.. So what do I do !??

Second.. How often do I need to change water.. ???

I'm having two little residents right now in this (uncycled) tank but Im gonna start adding more fish (one per week) from the QT tank which is about to finish its QT period..

Thank you!!..

Ah and by the way this is it..!

I know Sharon said NOT to have any decoration or substrate for six months but I couldn't just leave it empty.. it was too ugly!!

(however.. if you guys say, take it off.. I'll do it)

20150306_144401_zpszcpitemj.jpg

You can safely do up to a 50% WC with that difference in pH.  And with just 2 fish in there,  50% will be plenty.

As far as how often to change the water, I'd let your water parameters be your guide.  While cycling, if ammonia + nitrite is < 1, add Prime and don't do a WC.  If ammonia + nitrite is > 1, do a WC.

Why/when/where did Sharon say not to have any decorations or substrate for 6 months?  :idont

I love the color of the blue background.  :D

You can safely do up to a 50% WC with that difference in pH.  And with just 2 fish in there,  50% will be plenty.

As far as how often to change the water, I'd let your water parameters be your guide.  While cycling, if ammonia + nitrite is < 1, add Prime and don't do a WC.  If ammonia + nitrite is > 1, do a WC.

Why/when/where did Sharon say not to have any decorations or substrate for 6 months?  :idont

I love the color of the blue background.  :D

I just brought this juvenile from QT to the main 125G a few days ago.. (I think he just got his breeding stars)

But he's chasing one other fish (assume girl) all over the place

The "chased oranda" has several missing scales, scratches & split tail..

Is this normal behaviour or should I do something about it ???

20150317_215115%20-%20Copy_zpsaejzdw8n.j

If she's getting exhausted or he's really roughing her up, you could separate them by floating him in a plastic colander (kinda like a time out :lol2 ) when he's chasing.  My ranchu did this at first too.  Luckily he was smaller than the fish being chased and after some time in the colander over several days, he gave up.  :rofl