Oranda issues.. Newbie doing everything wrong..! :(

210 Oranda

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't look bloated to me.  :idont

The antibiotics you're treating with should fight any internal bacterial issues. 

Update us again in a day or two.  :D

Question(s).. :rolleyes:

Im planning to do what you guys have told me.. (getting a bigger tank if Im planning to get more goldfish)

I already bought a Fluvial 306 and a Eshopps wd-75cs from a closing store so now Im looking for a (decent) used 75-90G to do a fishless cycle in it..

However... :whistle

The people from the store where I got my fish (red cap & red/black) honored the warranty and offered me another fish free of charge..

So.. :whistle ..  since I didn't want the (1) fish to stay there longer to get sick or die.. I had to bring him home!!

FYI.. All equipment/tank got bleached and/or boiled prior to reuse

I have him in QT now with salt & prazi but he's showing something black in his wen (HITH perhaps) that I haven't seen in any other picture at kokos..

I don't want to keep hurting animals so if your suggestion is to (try to) take him back to store until cycled, that I'll do

Pic?

Not talking about the white pimple.. he just got that a few hours ago & I assume is wen growth related..

The black spot/hole you can barely see in the pictures is actually darker and deeper of what it shows here

20150216_185913_zpsh7yyuri4.jpg

20150216_185257_zpsfbr0x01e.jpg

20150216_185602_zpsczgqtvkl.jpg

20150216_185621_zpsh4y9mfxi.jpg

20150216_184000_zpsdn2xg2gs.jpg

Shine a light in the hole. See if it's dark because it's red in there or if it's just normal wen color looking dark because there isn't light in a hole. Does that make sense? :teehee

To me it looks like when you shine a light in you'll find its just Orange in there . . . .

• Helper

OMG, your new Oranda is sooooo adorable!  I hope he is okay :)

Thanks!!.. I think someone is about to tell me how irresponsible GF keeper I am.. :duckk:

They follow us home. Truly. Just do the best you can in caring for both animals and keep up on water changes. 95% changes several times per week will thwart so many fish health issues, even in too small of an aquarium. The wen on the newbie looks just fine to me, and I'm still cheering for your poor Oranda. He's a trooper!

OMG, your new Oranda is sooooo adorable!  I hope he is okay :)

Thanks!!.. I think someone is about to tell me how irresponsible GF keeper I am.. :duckk:

They follow us home. Truly. Just do the best you can in caring for both animals and keep up on water changes. 95% changes several times per week will thwart so many fish health issues, even in too small of an aquarium. The wen on the newbie looks just fine to me, and I'm still cheering for your poor Oranda. He's a trooper!

Thanks!!..

Now..

Do I really need to change 90-100% of the water every day (or every other) even though the QT tank shows 0% ammonia & nitrites..???

Right now Im changing 50% in the QT every other day.. (Not daily neither 100%)..

I was in the understanding that I should do a "big WC" only if I see ammonia or nitrites > 1.0ppm.. so..

Personally, I do prefer to do 100% WCs at least every other day in QT.  That way, you're removing any nasties that whatever treatment you're doing is killing off.  If you're treating with salt you don't get salt creep from imprecise measurements, etc. 

• Helper

If you're doing the test correctly (nitrates are super tricky, you have to shake those API bottles and tubes until your arm falls off or they give you false readings) and see no nitrates, nitrates below 10ppm, and no appreciable ammonia? Then it's your call. But if this is a small and uncycled quarantine tank? Water changes every day or two would be the way I'd go.

For example - I have an undersized main tank as I am waiting for funds for a custom larger setup. It needs 95-100% water changes once per week as a minimum, twice is better, to keep fish waste under control. In my little five gallon bucket quarantine I have my currently healing oranda in? Twice per day I'm changing it, regardless of levels, to make sure I don't set back his healing or give any minor microbe a chance to gain a foothold.

Housing changes are stressful for fish. Their immune systems are weaker under stress. What might not cause an issue an other time can be a big problem, and quickly. The very best thing you can do is plenty of water changes. Fresh, treated, appropriately warm water is the very best prophylactic treatment we can offer our pets.

Edited by Arctic Mama

it makes sense.. Thank you..

I just don't have a place, containers or time to store 30G of water.. (I work 10hr daily minimum)

I remind you that I have the calico (on meds) in the small 10G QT and the new "orange" in the 20G (w/ prazi + salt)

I'll do my best to do at least twice a week 100%WC in the small 10G in addition to the 50% Im doing every other day now..

If you guys think that doing 25% WC daily is helpful with the new oranda 20G tank (prazi+salt) and probably 100% WC once a week.. I'll do my best

If this tank is not relevant to frequent WC's because it has NOT meds in it, please save me the back pain.. either way, I'll do what you guys suggest!!

Thanks again!! 

• Helper

I'm no expert, but I have been keeping aquatic life forms reasonably happy and healthy for just shy of two decades - I'd be doing weekly 100% in the 20 g, since it just has a single occupant and is presumably cycled.

The 10 g quarantine I'd be doing 100% changes every other day as a minimum. I've personally found my levels look better when I do less frequent full changes instead of more frequent partials.

I was under the impression both were in smaller tanks, my apologies for not reading more carefully :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Calico is feeling (& looking) much better!!..  Thank you all !!

I think I ended up getting a handicap fish when I got him..

He swims different.. His pectoral fins are not "tear drop" like the other oranda..

I just did a WC and added Metro..

by the way.. I poured the powder straight to his head & obviously he didn't like the taste, so I just wanted to make sure the meds direct to their bodies isn't harmful for them ???

I assume this will be his last dose, right? (He has been treated w/ Metro for 15 days now)

He had Kana in the tank for 12 days & Prazi for 4 rounds

As much as I want to move him to the main tank today.. I think I'm gonna keep him in the 10G QT for another 2-3 weeks until the main tank cycle & the new fish gets out of salt + prazi.. correct ???

He swims different.. His pectoral fins are not "tear drop" like the other oranda..

by the way.. I poured the powder straight to his head & obviously he didn't like the taste, so I just wanted to make sure the meds direct to their bodies isn't harmful for them ???

Should be OK  . . .

I assume this will be his last dose, right? (He has been treated w/ Metro for 15 days now)

Most likely yes.  How is he looking, acting, eating?

As much as I want to move him to the main tank today.. I think I'm gonna keep him in the 10G QT for another 2-3 weeks until the main tank cycle & the new fish gets out of salt + prazi.. correct ???

Remind me again what's going on in the main tank . . .  any fish in there?  Is the new fish in there?  Sorry too many threads to keep track of and life getting in the way over here.  :(

Should be OK  . . .

Most likely yes.  How is he looking, acting, eating?

Remind me again what's going on in the main tank . . .  any fish in there?  Is the new fish in there?  Sorry too many threads to keep track of and life getting in the way over here.  :(

I guess I can illustrate his behavior a little better with a video.. :)

He eats very good by the way..

In regards the main tank.. I have the new oranda in it since Wed, Feb 11

The tank is (obviously) uncycled & has the filter working in it..

He has .3% salt & prazi, which by the way Im planning to do 3 rounds doing 4 days w/prazi & 3 days without.. Is this ok??

Also.. in case the new oranda ends its quarantine w/o issues..

Can I add the calico to the main tank afterwords or do I need to do something to the tank prior to adding???

I think that Lisa assumed that you have the two sick fish in a hospital tank and that the main tank is now empty.  I understand that the two surviving fish are in the 20 gallon.  Which of us is right?  If I am, I suggest you keep the filter running, but since this is a hospital tank now, I think you should remove all of the substrate.  You can wash and disinfect it for future use if you wish, but don't put it back in the tank.  It's impossible to clean the "nasties" from the bottom of a tank with a substrate.

What a lot of rotten luck you have had.  I wouldn't blame you for quitting, but you have learned a lot and can apply that to a fresh start.  If you want to do a fresh start, you could get the 75 gallon you want, set it up and begin a fishless cycle.  This tank is big enough for 4 goldfish, but I suggest you get just one at a time  --  two at the most.

The first thing you should do is contact this organization, which appears to meet in your area.  I assume the membership includes breeders of fancy goldfish who will know other breeders of fancy goldfish.  The best choice is to get your fish from a reliable breeder.

Then set up your 75 gallon, and begin fishless cycling.  Until you have had perfectly healthy fish for several months in this tank, I would keep it stripped down -- no substrate, no ornaments, not even plants.  Just a new, or completely disinfected filter, with new media.  If you use aeration, get new airstones and tubing.

DON'T use anything from your existing tanks in the new one unless it has been thoroughly disinfected with bleach or potassium pemanganate.  That includes hoses, nets, etc.  I wouldn't reuse any gravel or other substrate, since that is difficult to disinfect and is the dirtiest part of the tank system.  We don't know what killed your fish, but we do know we don't want it to get into your new tank.

I wanted to thank you for the tip on the "Texas Koi & Fancy Goldfish association"..

I think I found a local reputable GF seller, which by the way has a very different price (way more expensive) than the other local ones.. (not luck with a breeder yet)

Im mentioning all this because Im planning something & I need the experts advice before I do anything..

My first question(s)..

How long can you leave new fish in a QT tank ??.. 1,2,3 months??

Can you have two or more small fish from the same source in the same QT tank (10G) at same time or should all be in separate containers???

Im getting a used 100 or 120 gallon tank within the next 5 days but Im asking this because I reserved 3 little fish from this "reputable source" and I either have to pick them up tomorrow or they will be put back to their retail ponds..

My plan is to have the main 100G tank "fishless cycling" while the 3 fish are in the QT little tank so when the cycle is done I can move them one by one with a 7-10 day period.

I remind you that I have one surviving oranda calico that is barely getting off meds right now (metro, kana & prazi) so this guy will be staying in his separate QT 10G tank until the main 100G is cycled.

I also have another oranda by himself in the 20G tank that is "the main" tank right now.. he is being QT w/ salt + prazi as precaution (this a new fish that was given to me for the other 2 loses)

Im planning to do as you said.. No substrate, decorations or plants for several months..

I have just purchased a (supposedly new) sump filter (Eshoops WD-75CS) & a Fluval 306.. but since the sump looks super dirty I wonder if I should boil the bioballs or just bleach them ???

Am I going to have enough filtration with this two guys for a 100-120G tank ???

the pump they gave me is the Rio1700 which pumps 350-400gph at 3' to 4' distance

Thank you again so much for all the tips & advice!!

He has .3% salt & prazi, which by the way Im planning to do 3 rounds doing 4 days w/prazi & 3 days without.. Is this ok??   Yes.

Can I add the calico to the main tank afterwords or do I need to do something to the tank prior to adding???  I would just do a large WC.  And keep a close eye on the cycle as you'll be doubling the bioload by adding the calico.

The calico is looking great!!  :hi5

I think that Lisa assumed that you have the two sick fish in a hospital tank and that the main tank is now empty.  I understand that the two surviving fish are in the 20 gallon.  Which of us is right?  If I am, I suggest you keep the filter running, but since this is a hospital tank now, I think you should remove all of the substrate.  You can wash and disinfect it for future use if you wish, but don't put it back in the tank.  It's impossible to clean the "nasties" from the bottom of a tank with a substrate.

What a lot of rotten luck you have had.  I wouldn't blame you for quitting, but you have learned a lot and can apply that to a fresh start.  If you want to do a fresh start, you could get the 75 gallon you want, set it up and begin a fishless cycle.  This tank is big enough for 4 goldfish, but I suggest you get just one at a time  --  two at the most.

The first thing you should do is contact this organization, which appears to meet in your area.  I assume the membership includes breeders of fancy goldfish who will know other breeders of fancy goldfish.  The best choice is to get your fish from a reliable breeder.

Then set up your 75 gallon, and begin fishless cycling.  Until you have had perfectly healthy fish for several months in this tank, I would keep it stripped down -- no substrate, no ornaments, not even plants.  Just a new, or completely disinfected filter, with new media.  If you use aeration, get new airstones and tubing.

DON'T use anything from your existing tanks in the new one unless it has been thoroughly disinfected with bleach or potassium pemanganate.  That includes hoses, nets, etc.  I wouldn't reuse any gravel or other substrate, since that is difficult to disinfect and is the dirtiest part of the tank system.  We don't know what killed your fish, but we do know we don't want it to get into your new tank.

I wanted to thank you for the tip on the "Texas Koi & Fancy Goldfish association"..

I think I found a local reputable GF seller, which by the way has a very different price (way more expensive) than the other local ones.. (not luck with a breeder yet)

Im mentioning all this because Im planning something & I need the experts advice before I do anything..

My first question(s)..

How long can you leave new fish in a QT tank ??.. 1,2,3 months??   As long as you want as long as the water is clean/no ammonia or nitrite.

Can you have two or more small fish from the same source in the same QT tank (10G) at same time or should all be in separate containers???  If they are from the same source, they can go in the same tank but I would have a spare tank or tub to isolate one if needed.  They still may all react differently to QT.

Im getting a used 100 or 120 gallon tank within the next 5 days but Im asking this because I reserved 3 little fish from this "reputable source" and I either have to pick them up tomorrow or they will be put back to their retail ponds..

My plan is to have the main 100G tank "fishless cycling" while the 3 fish are in the QT little tank so when the cycle is done I can move them one by one with a 7-10 day period.  Why don't you put the 2 you already have in the 100 gallon (once they are done with QT) along with the filter that is currently already cycling?  With 100 gallons and only 2 fish, it will take a while for ammonia and/or nitrite to build up.  Then once the other fish are done with QT and ready for the main tank, add them one by one as you'd planned.

I remind you that I have one surviving oranda calico that is barely getting off meds right now (metro, kana & prazi) so this guy will be staying in his separate QT 10G tank until the main 100G is cycled.

I also have another oranda by himself in the 20G tank that is "the main" tank right now.. he is being QT w/ salt + prazi as precaution (this a new fish that was given to me for the other 2 loses)

Im planning to do as you said.. No substrate, decorations or plants for several months..

I have just purchased a (supposedly new) sump filter (Eshoops WD-75CS) & a Fluval 306.. but since the sump looks super dirty I wonder if I should boil the bioballs or just bleach them ???  Boil for at least 5 minutes.

Am I going to have enough filtration with this two guys for a 100-120G tank ???  We recommend 10X filtration with HOB filters and 5-7X filtration with canister filters. 

the pump they gave me is the Rio1700 which pumps 350-400gph at 3' to 4' distance

Thank you again so much for all the tips & advice!!

He has .3% salt & prazi, which by the way Im planning to do 3 rounds doing 4 days w/prazi & 3 days without.. Is this ok??   Yes.

Can I add the calico to the main tank afterwords or do I need to do something to the tank prior to adding???  I would just do a large WC.  And keep a close eye on the cycle as you'll be doubling the bioload by adding the calico.

The calico is looking great!!  :hi5

thank you!!.. he wouldn't be here without you guys help..!! :clapping:

Now..

If you have time (only if) can you please read my above post sent to Shannon (shakaho)

I need to make a decision tomorrow and I would like your advise..