Sign in to follow this  
210 Oranda

Oranda issues.. Newbie doing everything wrong..! :(

Bleaching kills everything in the tank, it will not change the colour of your sand. I also do not recommend adding a fish, you are already overstocked.

:hmm I'm not sure on the best way to disinfect the sand or the Purigen.  I've never had to do it but hopefully someone will chime in. 

Boil the Substrat Pro, toss the blue pads and replace them.  I think you could bleach the biowheel.

Yes, you'll lose your cycle but we need to make sure you lose whatever nasties were in the tank .  . . 

I think that Lisa assumed that you have the two sick fish in a hospital tank and that the main tank is now empty.  I understand that the two surviving fish are in the 20 gallon.  Which of us is right?  If I am, I suggest you keep the filter running, but since this is a hospital tank now, I think you should remove all of the substrate.  You can wash and disinfect it for future use if you wish, but don't put it back in the tank.  It's impossible to clean the "nasties" from the bottom of a tank with a substrate.

What a lot of rotten luck you have had.  I wouldn't blame you for quitting, but you have learned a lot and can apply that to a fresh start.  If you want to do a fresh start, you could get the 75 gallon you want, set it up and begin a fishless cycle.  This tank is big enough for 4 goldfish, but I suggest you get just one at a time  --  two at the most.

The first thing you should do is contact this organization, which appears to meet in your area.  I assume the membership includes breeders of fancy goldfish who will know other breeders of fancy goldfish.  The best choice is to get your fish from a reliable breeder.

Then set up your 75 gallon, and begin fishless cycling.  Until you have had perfectly healthy fish for several months in this tank, I would keep it stripped down -- no substrate, no ornaments, not even plants.  Just a new, or completely disinfected filter, with new media.  If you use aeration, get new airstones and tubing.

DON'T use anything from your existing tanks in the new one unless it has been thoroughly disinfected with bleach or potassium pemanganate.  That includes hoses, nets, etc.  I wouldn't reuse any gravel or other substrate, since that is difficult to disinfect and is the dirtiest part of the tank system.  We don't know what killed your fish, but we do know we don't want it to get into your new tank.

I've baked sand on a cookie sheet and also in a Pyrex glass sheet for a couple of hours. Worked great.

Thanks.. you guys are great!

Im not a quitter, I will NOT quit.. (hopefully my wallet won't quit either)

I saw the "picture of the month" (with a bunch of different GF) at main page & i thought it was a beautiful scene so i want that..

Back to my tank(s)..

i have the calico & red/black on the QT 10g tank.. i redosed prazi, metro & kana today & turned off filter.

i cannot do 100% WC daily but I can do 50%.. besides, the QT tank hasnt show any ammonia the last couple of days so i guess im not hurting them by not doing 100% wc..

Im planning to get the 75G used.. could that be dangerous or bleach will do it??

Thanks.. you guys are great!

Im not a quitter, I will NOT quit.. (hopefully my wallet won't quit either)

I saw the "picture of the month" (with a bunch of different GF) at main page & i thought it was a beautiful scene so i want that..

Back to my tank(s)..

i have the calico & red/black on the QT 10g tank.. i redosed prazi, metro & kana today & turned off filter.

i cannot do 100% WC daily but I can do 50%.. besides, the QT tank hasnt show any ammonia the last couple of days so i guess im not hurting them by not doing 100% wc..

Im planning to get the 75G used.. could that be dangerous or bleach will do it??

Bleach will do it.

It looks like Lisa was right.  Yes, you want to completely disinfect the main tank and filter.  Then you can do fishless cycling on an all-clean filter.

Bleach will do it.

It looks like Lisa was right.  Yes, you want to completely disinfect the main tank and filter.  Then you can do fishless cycling on an all-clean filter.

One last question ..

what's the ratio for water-bleach when disinfecting aquarium stuff ?

1:20 is a common dilution.  What I've done with a sick tank is fill it with diluted bleach and run the filter for several hours.  Both the tank and filter get disinfected.  You can also toss in contaminated equipment.

For plants I use a 1:20 dilution for 1-2.5 minutes. For equipment I use a 1:9 dilution for 2-3 hours.

Red/black (Buddy) didn't make it.. :rip:

I only have the calico now.. hopefully he comes back..  :( 

On the good side.. He decided to eat this evening a few pellets..

But one thing I noticed is that all the hospital tank is super slimy

Is this normal with prazi, kana & metro being there ???

Today (Sunday) was the third day of treatment.. I did 50% wc after I found Buddy dead & redose proportionally

20150209_001400_zpsjwrqlqwj.jpg

That slime is biofilm.  Harmless and it can be wiped off easily.  :D

I'm so sorry for your loss.  :(  I think that perhaps these fish were just not healthy and even with treatment couldn't pull through.

Good to hear that the calico is interested in food.  That's a really good sign.  Keep up the good work.  :hug

I'm sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, angel fish.

I am so sorry for your loss :(  I have been following your post because I am new to goldfish too and have been having some similar problems.  It is a really tough situation, but you seem very determined.  I hope your calico gets better!

I am so sorry for your loss :(  I have been following your post because I am new to goldfish too and have been having some similar problems.  It is a really tough situation, but you seem very determined.  I hope your calico gets better!

Thank you!!.. and good luck to you too! :)

Let's move the calico and the black and red into the QT.  Add Metro and kana per package dosing instructions.  No salt.

With 2 of them in a 10 gallon ideally we'd want to do 100% daily WCs.  Do you have enough metro and kana to do that?  We'd take kana out to 12 days, metro probably 14. 

Hello!..

Tomorrow will be day 7 of the calico being in the QT tank..

Im reading above and you're saying to keep the kana for 12 days but the package says "up to a maximum of 3 doses"..

I did first dose on Friday, second on Sunday and third yesterday... What do I do.. Do I continue with Kana for another 5 days???

Calico eats (or try to) whatever you put in front of him, he just takes forever to chew it..

Poops are food-color but long.. He doesn't swim much, it stays "sitting" in a certain spot most of the time

Now.. in regards Prazi..

Monday night was the end of "second dose".. so yesterday, today & tomorrow are supposed to be "no prazi days".. however, I can only do 50% WC so it is obvious that some prazi is going to stay in the tank.. Is that harmful ???

Im planning to do another 50%WC tomorrow morning with metro only (no prazi or kana) so If im doing something wrong or if I need to continue with Kana please let me know.. THANKS!!

Let's move the calico and the black and red into the QT.  Add Metro and kana per package dosing instructions.  No salt.

With 2 of them in a 10 gallon ideally we'd want to do 100% daily WCs.  Do you have enough metro and kana to do that?  We'd take kana out to 12 days, metro probably 14. 

Hello!..

Im reading above and you're saying to keep the kana for 12 days but the package says "up to a maximum of 3 doses"..

I did first dose on Friday, second on Sunday and third yesterday... What do I do.. Do I continue with Kana for another 5 days???

Jared has contacted Seachem, the company that makes Kanamycin, and they said it is safe to do 2 rounds if needed.   He is still not back to "normal" (bottom sitting, etc).  I would do that second round if he was my fish.

Calico eats (or try to) whatever you put in front of him, he just takes forever to chew it..  What are you feeding him:idont

Poops are food-color but long.. He doesn't swim much, it stays "sitting" in a certain spot most of the time

Now.. in regards Prazi..

Monday night was the end of "second dose".. so yesterday, today & tomorrow are supposed to be "no prazi days".. however, I can only do 50% WC so it is obvious that some prazi is going to stay in the tank.. Is that harmful ???

That's fine . . . 

Im planning to do another 50%WC tomorrow morning with metro only (no prazi or kana) so If im doing something wrong or if I need to continue with Kana please let me know.. THANKS!!

Hello!..

Jared has contacted Seachem, the company that makes Kanamycin, and they said it is safe to do 2 rounds if needed.   He is still not back to "normal" (bottom sitting, etc).  I would do that second round if he was my fish.

Calico eats (or try to) whatever you put in front of him, he just takes forever to chew it..  What are you feeding him:idont

Now.. in regards Prazi..

That's fine . . . 

Im feeding him pellets & peas..

He has hard time w peas & doesnt seem "thrilled" by the omega pellets..

however, he likes the "baby pellets" from hikari

I'm so sorry your fishies passed away, they can deteriorate very quickly even under the best of care :grouphug:

I'm rooting for your remaining pet!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Have you ever tried feeding frozen blood worms?

I did when he was in the main tank..

I'll try them again tomorrow..

Have you ever tried feeding frozen blood worms?

Hi!..

Calico is now swimming more and looking for food at times.. (but he's still sitting for hours)

I noticed the right part of his internals are (either growing) or swollen..

Please tell me that this is not another infection we have to treat.. :no:

20150216_114117_zpsbko2h99t.jpg

20150216_115519_zpskjiflrqk.jpg

What part do you think looks swollen?  Is it possible for you to circle it?

Remind me what you've treated with so far and for how long . . .

What part do you think looks swollen?  Is it possible for you to circle it?

Remind me what you've treated with so far and for how long . . .

Hopefully these pictures work..

Im at the third day of roud 4 of Prazi.. (two rounds in the main tank w/ salt, two rounds in the QT w/ antibiotics)

Im at the 6th time adding Metro & Kana (today is the 11th day w/ meds in the tank)

Goldfish-calico3_zpsv0yckznp.jpg

Goldfish-calico2_zpsn6xadoq2.jpg

Goldfish-calico1_zpsddfw8iiq.jpg

It doesn't look bloated to me.  :idont

The antibiotics you're treating with should fight any internal bacterial issues. 

Update us again in a day or two.  :D