Oranda issues.. Newbie doing everything wrong..! :(

210 Oranda

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's move the calico and the black and red into the QT.  Add Metro and kana per package dosing instructions.  No salt.

With 2 of them in a 10 gallon ideally we'd want to do 100% daily WCs.  Do you have enough metro and kana to do that?  We'd take kana out to 12 days, metro probably 14. 

Let's move the calico and the black and red into the QT.  Add Metro and kana per package dosing instructions.  No salt.

With 2 of them in a 10 gallon ideally we'd want to do 100% daily WCs.  Do you have enough metro and kana to do that?  We'd take kana out to 12 days, metro probably 14. 

So.. Do I just fill the QT tank with water and add prime ???.. How about filtration or aeration??

I have a Pinguin 150 with carbon cartridges as backup in case you want me to use it (or in case it will help to avoid daily WC)

I have only 5 grams of Metro and 5 grams of Kana ...

How about the red cap ???.. Does he stays with prazi for another 2 rounds ??..

I mean he eats "kinda ok" but stays most of the time sitting at bottom

Yes & no..

same source but the red/black came first..

Even though tank wasn't cycle he was doing great before the other two came in.

One thing i noticed when i bought the calico is that other fish were picking on him (or at least its what it seemed like)

I felt sorry for him so i brought him home

:hmm  Has the red cap just been sitting since adding the prazi?  Or was he sitting before that? 

Sorry for all the questions.  Just trying to figure out how to proceed.  I don't want to treat fish that don't need it . . . 

:hmm  Has the red cap just been sitting since adding the prazi?  Or was he sitting before that? 

Sorry for all the questions.  Just trying to figure out how to proceed.  I don't want to treat fish that don't need it . . .

Red cap has been sitting since day 2.. first day both red cap & calico were at top of tank (I guess shocked because introduced to a tank with 0.3% salt)

Red cap just moves when he notice I drop food.. he goes back to "sitting" after a few "bites"

By the way.. they do swim a little more when im not watching and/or when i turn off lights

I appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me so please ask me anything.

Same as you, i rather not to medicate them if not needed..

Hello again..

Wondering if you decided what am I doing tomorrow morning (day 8)??

Is the calico & red/black still going to the QT tank ??.. if so, do they need filtration or aeration ???

(I've never done QT so I don't know)

If you decide to move the calico & red/black to the QT tank.. Is the red cap continuing w/ Prazi + 0.1% salt for another two rounds ???

Please let me know.. I need to get everything you need me to have ready for tomorrow morning

The fish do need to be separated.  I would put the calico and r/b in QT.  They do not need a filter as you are going to water change every day.  If you have a filter, even a small internal, it is nice to put it in the tank as (if you have a little cycled media from the main tank filter - are you cycled? - you can place it in the filter) and it will help with the ammonia and aid circulation.  If not, no worries as the daily water change will be the 'filter'.  I would continue the redcaps prazi routine. 

What she said.  :teehee

I would also continue the prazi in the QT tank but since there will be antibiotics in the tank there is no need for salt in the QT.  :D

Test ammonia in the QT daily.  If it's rising too quickly, you'll need to do daily WCs. 

Alright.. It seems that this is the beginning of the end for my Buddy.. :no::( :(

I setted up the QT tank this morning with prazi + kana + metro (no salt) and this is how he looks this evening

He's NOT swimming.. just being pushed around by the current & getting stuck at the filter intake

If you guys think that I should do something different to save him/her please let me know asap..

Ammonia = 0.0

20150204_225233_zpstncpcpay.jpg

20150204_225039_zps10xarchu.jpg

I would reduce the current in the tank.  Can you slow down the air stone?  Do you have an air control valve?  Is the filter cycled?  If not, I'd go with just the air stone.

GF can go a week or more without eating.  I'm hoping that a few days in the antibiotics will make him feel good enough to eat. 

Cmon Buddy.  Hang in there! 

I really don't know what to say anymore.. :no: :no: :no:

Mardo was perfectly fine this morning.. Now he looks gone..

(No ammonia or nitrates)

If you guys think this is curable please let me know asap..

20150206_002415_zps7fanpbnr.jpg

20150206_002425_zps5ivybllo.jpg

20150206_002947_zpsf0xgwcyv.jpg

20150206_003007_zpsleuycthp.jpg

It looks like his scales are lifted, indicating dropsy.  With all the redness, I'm fairly certain it's an internal bacterial infection.  He is in the main tank, without medication, correct?  You could try medicating with the same meds the other fish are in but it looks rather advanced to me.  :(

As expected.. he has died..I found him floating at the top this morning.. :rip:

I just can't explain how can he be gone in less than 10hrs when looking just fine yesterday morning.. I mean, he was the strongest one out of the three and he's dead!!.. What can I expect from the other two!?..

I'm extremely discouraged thinking that this whole thing was a bad idea.. I mean.. my dining room looks like a mad house with tanks, hoses, filters, pumps, meds, food, etc..

Now I have two sick fishes barely moving and to make things worse I just read an article that says to remove carbon cartriges when medicating..

(Duh! :doh11: the cartridge on the QT tank has carbon).. So I guess I have to start all over again medicating prazi + metro & Kana, right???

The good thing is that the QT tank has been without ammonia for the last two days (well, fish aren't eating anything)..

Either way Im doing a 50% WC right (which is the maximum I can do without missing more work time)

__________________________________________________________________________________

I wonder if I should get a full grown goldfish from a reputable source (such as dandy orandas, goldfishnet or raingarden) instead of the ones they sell locally.. ???

Question(s).. What do I do to the main tank where the red cap died ??..

Does it have to be desinfected somehow or just (several) water changes will make the tank safe for whoever comes in ???

Sorry for your loss, I know it can be discouraging but believe me it is well worth it once you have learned and continue to learn and when you get a healthy fish to thrive.

sometimes some fish just come from bad stock/genes, don't give up! :bighug

and I'm not expert but I would start with a young fish (yes you don't know the risks/potential to full adult hood) as this way they can adjust to your water, your water change schedules, ect. where as an adult fish might be more shocked to have said changes to their life style. (some can dispel this if they like, its just my thought)

good luck with your other two fishies

Yes, it's back to square one if you had carbon in the filter . . . I didn't realize you had a carbon cartridge in there.

Redose kana, metro and prazi and consider this day 1.  Since your filter isn't cycled, I wouldn't keep it on there at this point.

I would disinfect the main tank and filter.   You can boil the gravel (if you have it) and bleach the tank and filter.  Be sure to rinse, rinse rinse when you're done bleaching then run water through it with Prime until you no longer smell bleach.

As far as future fish go, that's up to you.  I prefer to get mine small and locally, watching them grow.  Getting them from an online source doesn't necessarily guarantee good health.  Your fish look very thin for fish of their size/length.  Do you have another local source you could get them from?  Remind me what size your main tank is.  I think it's a 20 gallon.  If so, I wouldn't recommend getting any new fish assuming the remaining two pull through.

Yes, it's back to square one if you had carbon in the filter . . . I didn't realize you had a carbon cartridge in there.

Redose kana, metro and prazi and consider this day 1.  Since your filter isn't cycled, I wouldn't keep it on there at this point.

I would disinfect the main tank and filter.   You can boil the gravel (if you have it) and bleach the tank and filter.  Be sure to rinse, rinse rinse when you're done bleaching then run water through it with Prime until you no longer smell bleach.

As far as future fish go, that's up to you.  I prefer to get mine small and locally, watching them grow.  Getting them from an online source doesn't necessarily guarantee good health.  Your fish look very thin for fish of their size/length.  Do you have another local source you could get them from?  Remind me what size your main tank is.  I think it's a 20 gallon.  If so, I wouldn't recommend getting any new fish assuming the remaining two pull through.

In regards to desinfect the main tank (which is 20G)..

I have black sand.. should I boil it ???, Is it going to lose some of it's color???

In my filter (penguin 350) I have Eheim SubstratePro, blue pads (no cartridges), Seachem Purigen & the bio-wheel that comes w the Penguins filters..

Am I bleaching all that also ???, If so, am I going to kill all good bacteria as well ???

Thanks!