* Ammonia Level(Tank): 0ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tank): 0ppm
* Nitrate level(Tank): 5ppm
* Ph Level, Tank: 8 
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
* Water temperature? 72 degrees F
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40gal, 1.5 years
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? I am running 2 Aquaclear 70s on that tank
* How often do you change the water and how much? Weeklyish 70%
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days, 70%
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 medium size fish
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy Solient Green gell food and New Life Spectrum pellets
* Any new fish added to the tank? No
* Any medications added to the tank? No
* Medical History: I salted the tank about 4 months ago due to a small white spot on the same fish
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fins are extremely frayed, there might be a small bit of film on the edges of the tears
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
Fish is behaving normally.

I came back from work today to find that my telescope's fins have been ripped to shreds!! I checked on both fish last night at 10:00 pm so I know that this is something that happened overnight or during the day when I was at work. I didn't check on them this morning so I can't be sure when it happened. I've never seen her with injuries like this!

I have two medium sized goldfish in a 40 gallon tank. There isn't anything in the tank that could cause damage like this.They are the hardiest fish I have ever hard. They have had almost no health issues except for a very small white dot that appeared on the same fish about 4 months ago that went away within 2 days of a minor salt treatment. The fish in question has been acting normally during the day and her appetite has been great! 

I did notice that she was sleeping closer the the ground at night than she normally does (not bottom sitting, just floating close to the bottom), and my fiance said he saw her laying some eggs recently. I didn't see the eggs, but if what my fiance says is right then that will be her first time laying eggs. 

I have no clue how this happened. The other fish in the tank looks like a million bucks. No tears at all. Any help at all would be appreciated!! For now I am setting up a quarantine tank right now. 

Here is a video of her fins:

Hmmm... I went back to give my ryukin from that tank another close look and he might have a white spot on one of his pectoral fins. It's tiny if that's what it is. It could even just be a breeding star.

Moby (the telescope in question) has a tiny bit of film on the edges of these tears. Idk if the film is just because of the injuries or possibly related to the white spot??

Edited by Ardor12

I'm guessing it's a breeding star, especially if eggs have been seen lately. 

QT is probably a good idea although not 100% necessary.  If she has eggs, the chasing will help her release them.  Then again, you don't want him being too rough either and causing more damage. 

I don't think the injuries are anything that pristine water can't handle.  :D

Thanks so much!

I went ahead and set her up in quarantine just in case. I did notice the male chasing her a bit in the main tank. You don't think I should salt a bit just in case? Would that hurt her torn fins? I've never had to deal with an injury like this.  :no:

It wouldn't hurt to salt and if you'd prefer to, do it. :). I don't think its a must do but it is certainly an option.

I'm not as experienced as a lot of folks on here, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but two of my orandas just spawned, and afterwards my female's fins were pretty beat up -- similar to what your fish's fins look like. I've never actually been there when they've spawned, it's always when I'm not home, but from my understanding it can be an intense process. Mine's fins healed up within a week or so, so hopefully it's just some superficial injuries and nothing more!

Ah! That makes me feel a bit better. I've been looking all over my tanks trying to figure out what could have caused it.  :hummm

My Cali has ended up with tears like this when Tiger gets a bit rough, they healed really quickly :)