Sign in to follow this  
Rhian

New fish with missing pectoral fin, anything to watch out for?

This week I got a small ranchu (probably roughly two inches with tail) and after watching it in the store for awhile everything seemed okay. It was swimming fine, seemed active, didn't look like it had any scales missing or weird spots on it. I brought it home and noticed pretty quickly something was off.

One fin is just completely gone. It doesn't even look like it was torn off, there's no obvious looking damage. I don't know if it could've been born that way or if it happened long enough ago that it has completely healed or what.

Besides the odd rare moment where it has to work a little harder to turn, I honestly wouldn't be able to even tell it's missing the fin just from how it acts. It eats fine, can get around the tank fine, doesn't look like it has any stability issues.

Is there anything I should be watching for? Anything special I should be doing? I hope the little guy makes it.

I think you just need to treat it like any other goldfish: Clean water, good food, etc.

Try to go for foods that won't constipate the fish, though. That would be the only thing I would worry about, due to already compromised balance. 

Just keep an eye on it and maintain your water quality to pristine conditions to avoid any possible infections. Since the fin is totally gone there's not much evidence to lead to if the fin has been torn off/eroded or the fish was simply born this way.

That said, there may be a chance the fin won't grow back. If this is the case, not to worry, as goldfish can thrive just as well with a missing fin. I have a little comet who is missing a pectoral fin (along with a dorsal), and she gets along just fine. I'm sure she gets a workout with that little stub. :rofl Nonetheless, she is still just as fast as my other fish who has her pectoral fins intact.

Here's a pic:

DSC_0822_zps8c3e088c.jpg

Let us know how it goes! :D

Edited by Georgia

I'm sorry to hear about your little fishy not having all his/her fins. I'm sure she will be just fine...as chelseaM said clean water and good foods!!!

I only bought a pictus catfish that has a defective gill plate it sticks out on one side and you can see all the pink flesh of the gills but he does just fine, and I still have him. He's smaller than most pictus catfish but I still love him. It just adds character and I know you'll love you fish just as much if not more hahah

I'm not usually for naming fish but it has Nemo written all over it.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm glad that there is a good chance of this little guy living a long life even without its fin.

I think you just need to treat it like any other goldfish: Clean water, good food, etc.

Try to go for foods that won't constipate the fish, though. That would be the only thing I would worry about, due to already compromised balance. 

Are there any particular foods that I should avoid that can cause constipation? I feed Repashy Super Green, frozen foods (blood worms, glass worms and brine shrimp) and Omega One pellets/veggie rounds.

Just make sure you're not feeding too much. The easiest way to do that is to feed your fish based on his weight. Total food at 1% of his bodyweight should be enough daily. Since he's small, that may not look like much. Also, feed this over as many feedings as you can during the day. Goldfish are foragers so it's best not to feed them all in one sitting if you can.

Personal thoughts:

If you are feeding the Super Green, then the veggie rounds aren't necessary. You can even go sparingly on the pellets if you want, since the combination of Super Green and frozen proteins is a really good diet. :) Or you can feed everything for variety. All up to you. 

Edited by ChelseaM