To fish or not to fish?

Aftran

Hey all! It's been a very, very long time since I had goldfish in my house. Admittedly it was out of control (90 gallon with 2 fish. They killed anything else I put in there), but I might have an opportunity to start up again. There were a number of 10 gal aquarium starter kits (good kits, not useless ones) donated to the shelter I now work at. Management is trying to determine how many the shelter needs, and the rest should be up for grabs.

So I'm trying to decide if I'm ready to jump back into this. I know it's addicting, I did it for 7 years with lots of lessons learned, and that's what scares me. I know how easily 'Oh, just one baby in a 10 gallon is all I need' turns into 'I need a giant custom tank and ALL THE GOLDFISH'.

Also looks like in the time I've been gone we're recommending 15-20 gallons per fish instead of 10? Or is that still for streamliners?

^_^

Thanks!

I am not a scientist, nor am I a breeder.

I am a guy that likes to keep as many goldfish as I can without the headache or complications that can come up from overcrowding a tank.

So I stick with 15 to 20 gallons per fish and weekly water change of more than 50%.

Also, I don't buy the idea we are giving them the best possible environment, because it sounds like the best for a fish wouldn't be a tank.

...something more natural.

Are they happy and fulfilled in life?

I don't know, but it's probably not the worst situation they could have.

I do the best I can, stacking odds in my favor with the 15 to 20 gallon guide.

Good luck.

:)

A 100gph filter wouldn't be fine for all tanks because it would be a lower turnover rate. (Less than 10x) The flow rate is important if you aren't getting enough. 

Yes, a canister is rated at 5-7x because it can hold more media. However, the reasoning behind that isn't just "MORE", it's how the media is placed in a canister as well. The media can be more spread out in a canister than an HOB.  You could still have the same surface area in media in them both, but since it's more evenly spread out, when the water flows through it gets more evenly cleaned since all the BBs aren't packed together as tightly. You wouldn't have to shove water through to get an efficient cleaning, like in an HOB. (They are efficient if you have a high flow rate.)

Edited by ChelseaM

Ok I've gotta say... This conversation has become mind numbing. Especially with someone who came in half way through and doesn't seem to understand or to have even read the previous posts.

???

Yes, it is a bit confusing. First a 10-gallon cycle can't succeed because of water volume, then turnover, then gph, then filter media... I am not the one moving the goalposts.

Yes, successful cycling is dependent on whether or not there's enough surface area for bacteria to colonize. The great news is you can put media with high surface area into a small filter. Just don't get it plugged up so water doesn't flow through. (As you've pointed out, higher surface area is why canister filters often work better than HOB filters with the same gph.)

Send me fish and a filter and I'll be glad to undertake the experiment. Otherwise, no thanks. I already know most of these these hard-line "impossibilities" dictated by common knowledge are not real impossibilities, and I don't have a couple pounds of fish I'm willing to keep in a 10-gallon atm.

Ok I've gotta say... This conversation has become mind numbing. Especially with someone who came in half way through and doesn't seem to understand or to have even read the previous posts.

???

Yes, it is a bit confusing. First a 10-gallon cycle can't succeed because of water volume, then turnover, then gph, then filter media... I am not the one moving the goalposts.

Yes, successful cycling is dependent on whether or not there's enough surface area for bacteria to colonize. The great news is you can put media with high surface area into a small filter. Just don't get it plugged up so water doesn't flow through. (As you've pointed out, higher surface area is why canister filters often work better than HOB filters with the same gph.)

Send me fish and a filter and I'll be glad to undertake the experiment. Otherwise, no thanks. I already know most of these these hard-line "impossibilities" dictated by common knowledge are not real impossibilities, and I don't have a couple pounds of fish I'm willing to keep in a 10-gallon atm.

Based solely on your posts in this thread I would not even consider allowing you to keep my fish lol.

Holy Schmaoley, I had no idea I was going to spark a debate when I posted this!

As things worked out I've been very sick this last week, and all the tanks were snatched up before I could get my hands on one.

The reason I was going with the 10 gallon was because it had a very nice start-up kit included. Not something for really long term or extended keeping, but something to kick start the hobby back up for me. I had no intention of keeping a large, fully grown fish in it. Just a baby and upgrading as needed.

@Fantailfan - I love that you're an #enabler ! Even at $1 a gallon there's no way I could afford the filtration necessary to run a 40 gallon. 

Looks like things may have worked out for the best for right now.

Holy Schmaoley, I had no idea I was going to spark a debate when I posted this!

As things worked out I've been very sick this last week, and all the tanks were snatched up before I could get my hands on one.

The reason I was going with the 10 gallon was because it had a very nice start-up kit included. Not something for really long term or extended keeping, but something to kick start the hobby back up for me. I had no intention of keeping a large, fully grown fish in it. Just a baby and upgrading as needed.

@Fantailfan - I love that you're an #enabler ! Even at $1 a gallon there's no way I could afford the filtration necessary to run a 40 gallon. 

Looks like things may have worked out for the best for right now.

400gph filters will run you about 30 bucks, if you're on a budget. Look at the Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75. :) All you need to do is cut the cartridge at the bottom to remove the carbon, and then you can use the rest of the cartridge to start the cycle.

Edited by ChelseaM

...I know how easily 'Oh, just one baby in a 10 gallon is all I need' turns into 'I need a giant custom tank and ALL THE GOLDFISH'....

:lol ^^This.  SOOOOO much this!  My goldfish journey began with a single fish my daughter won at a fair in November, and now I'm saving for a 60 inch tank and wondering if we could go 72 inches!   :help:   :rofl3

Edited by landmouse